How to deal with workplace boredom

I landed myself a job at McDonalds. I flip burgers and it may sound stupid but I take pride in it. I'm happy to be part of the process of making food for people. It gives some purpose to my life to provide something for society, as insignificant as this particular example may seem or be. The best part about it is that it keeps me busy enough to not be constantly arguing with myself or worrying about things. I don't do it aloud, it only happens internally, but it's extremely exhausting.

My question for you is how can I make it a little more fun in order to pass the time faster? I know doing some drugs before work would make it a million times better but I'm trying to stay off the drugs, at least for now. There's not much I can do while flipping burgers, like reading a book would be out of the picture. I could rap in my head but I don't like rap music. I could probably listen to music or motivational speeches or learn another language while flipping burgers with an mp3 player. I haven't thought of that until just now so I already gave myself one potential answer to this question. I could even get wireless headphones, only keep one in so that I can listen to what people are saying, and if anybody asks I will tell them it's a hearing aid.

Any other suggestions?

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
Hi @justinprovement

It's so awesome to hear that you take pride in flipping burgers. I think the problem is that people don't take pride in what they do and just take for granted that these opportunities even exist today.

It's also amazing that you're allowed to listen to audio while you're working! I would definitely make use of that if it doesn't come at the cost in the quality of your burger flipping.

Doing drugs is definitely not going to help you in the long run, sure it will make your job more fun right now, but at what cost?

Instead, I prefer growth over anything.

So if I were you I would ask yourself the question: what's important to you? Maybe it's health or business. Maybe it's getting an amazing relationship.

What are your dreams? What do you want to become? Maybe you want to travel one day or buy a house. All those things don't come easy.

So whatever you pick, find everything about it. There's podcasts, audiobooks, and much more on the internet, that you can listen to with earphones.

There's what I would do personally. Learn, learn, learn, and at the same time, become the best burger flipper McDonalds has ever known.

All the best to you,
Mick

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I'm glad you are taking pride in it, I really believe one can find value and importance in any type of job. Can you talk more with your co-workers? I worked at fast food and a sandwich place earlier in life, and that was a part of it I enjoyed.

You could also try to sometimes work on mindfulness practices, I've seen so many people helped by learning this skill. Basically it's like meditation while you're active. Try to not think about stuff, release the thoughts as they come. Just be totally present, think about about what you are doing, e.g. the motion of your hands, the smells, the sounds, only what is "now". If thoughts of the past or present pop in, just release them and return to the present. Even if you can only hold that for a few minutes, if you practice it, you learn to control your mind and over time you can do it longer and easier. And as you get better, you can use it anytime in life you're feeling anxiety.

Like Mick said, in addition to music, you could try podcasts. Find things that stimulate your mind, where you're learning something new. There are so many good free podcasts, I'm constantly trying new ones. Not only things you're already interested in, but dive into something totally new and unique. It can lead you to new interests and passions, as well as make you a more well rounded person, which can pay off with relationships and career.

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
@justinprovement Hello, I am also really glad that you are proud, it´s really great attitude, which in today´s society is random.

Firstly, drugs isn´t gonna solve problem, only make it worse, so don´t do drugs.

I think, you could learn something through mp3, as Mick said, find something what you are passionate about, and try to learn about it.

Another suggestions, be more communicative with your coworkers, even if it´s small chats (and even if you are introvert, you don´t have to be talking all time in work, but if you feel bored, that could be a time to communicate, to change of opinions with your friends), your time will move faster, and more importantly, you´ll become better in communication, you´ll make more friends, or make stronger bond between you and your current friends/coworkers. (WIN- WIN)

In your place, I would mix these 2 things (communicating and learning).
Keep us posted, how you managed this problem.
Have a great day.

I am in a simular situation at the moment.I Operate CNC machines and currently work nightshift.I find it very mediocre and boring.I have made a conscious choice that once my internship expires i will strive to find a way to make a living without working a 9 to five job.I am working in china and the working hours are rediculously insane.12 Hours a day.These people seem to be okay with it,but im certainly not.Anyway you should check out Bob Proctor's channel on youtube.He has helpful information on how to live your life the way you want to regardless of background and education.