How to cope with the lonely parts of the personal development journey

canadianskier

I have always been someone who has struggled with self esteem and self confidence due to some traumas in my past. This year I decided to focus a lot on my personal growth and I couldn't be happier with the results. I am more confident, I am happier and in general I am doing better in all areas of my life. One aspect of this whole experience is that I have finally taken the steps to rid my life of a few toxic friendships and now I don't have too many friends left. Admittedly this part has been tough and while I am making an effort to get out and meet people through avenues like Meetup nothing has come of it yet. How long did it take you to form new friendships when you were going through your personal growth period? It has really been in the last month that I have found the courage to let go of negative relationships so I know it might take time but I am curious as to how much it might take.

Gwen Lee

Forming new relationships can be just as much of a challenge as letting go of old ones. So far, I have met a few new people through my growth experiences, and a development organization to help me grow my life coaching business. However, I am reluctant to forming relationships too quickly because I am getting adjusted to the new me. Meetup is a way to go and I have yet to participate. I encourage you to keep doing what you need to do for yourself because you will be better for it. Soon, people will gravitate towards you and appreciate who you have become.

denydritz

Coaching Member
To be honest, I haven't made any new friends as a result of personal growth directly.

However, my growth journey involved many aspects, such as learning to build a business, and improving my skills with women. From those two aspects, I have made new friends, and also met my wife :)

I don't have new friends that are specifically about personal growth, but I do have friends about learning business that we meet from time to time, and also friends about learning a foreign language, etc.

Bodahir

Go to places where you find like-minded people. It's that simple...
  1. Do you like photography? Go take a few photography classes, or go to a photography meetup.
  2. Are you interested in building a business? Focus on building your own business and go to masterminds.
  3. On a personal development quest? Go to public places, sit there with a book and read.
The worst thing you can do is to go on dating website/apps. Those sites are only good for ego-boosting.

I've struggled with what you struggle now in the past as well. The thing that made the biggest difference in my social life was; focus on what makes ME happy. When I started focussing on what made me happy, I didn't need other people anymore for my happiness. And the funny thing was that I started to actually attract more friendships than by doing the three things described above.