HOW TO CLOSE DOWN CHURCHES (A TOUCH OF SARCASM PERHAPS)

Ken Munro

Advisor Member
Christian churches are losing attendances. Churches are closing down. In some cases, churches are either being torn down or being converted into condos. People are also finding organized religion not as important today as in the past. The church and what it used to stand for is losing its appeal.

In order, to keep this momentum going, here are some ideas for churches on how to loose members and close down churches.

(1) Criticize members’ faith. Find fault on how they worship. Criticize those who do not attend Sunday morning services. They may have a good reason for not going. Like there is very little genuine community at Sunday services (how can you have community when you don’t know the person in the next pew?) Or there are other ways of being a good Christian than just worshipping at a Sunday morning worship service. And even though there is not a Bible verse in the New Testament that says Sunday worship is mandatory, criticize them anyway.

Make them feel as uncomfortable as possible. Accept them only if they tow the line on your terms.

Remember you’re perfect. And just because John 8:7 states “let he without sin, cast the first stone” and a church should be a place of true acceptance, those are not reasons to withhold your criticism.

(2) And make sure you attack their doubts. Say it’s unhealthy or it’s the “will of the Devil.” So what if Christ had His doubts especially when he was being crucified “Father, have you forsaken me? Should that make a difference?

(3) Don’t provide outlets for socializing, no outings, no potluck dinners, etc. People would get to know each other. That just might build community.

(4) And, for goodness sake, never give members a reason to belong. Don’t invite them to belong to committees, boards, etc.

And to take part in the church, only recruit families, not singles; rich not poor; highly educated, not working poor. Stress usefulness because of background. And even though we are all part of the body of Christ and have something to offer (I Cor. 12:27), so what? The rich and highly educated simply have more to offer. The poor don’t. Right? We all have a need to be needed and have something to offer. So what?

Remember: the true meaning of the word “discriminate” is to “separate”. Make sure you practice this by making those who appear to be more important, feel more important. And those less important by ignoring them.

(5) Finally, above all else, if you forget any parts from numbers 1 – 4, practice # 5: do not love and serve - the cornerstone of the Christian faith.

Never practice true servitude. Never practice the virtues of the prayer of St. Francis of Assisi: “Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.” Never make the practice of Christian virtues your sermon. Or the values that Golden Rule represent.

Never address the needs of the parishioners. Especially on their terms. Only yours. The church SHOULD be a hospital for the soul. Does that really matter?

Never provide an outlet for people to share their pains. Their wounds. Their hurts.

Never offer a kind ear that will listen. A gentle heart with compassion that comforts. Or wisdom to ease the pain of the hurting. People love to suffer. Besides if no one was hurting, you’d have no material for your sermons. No one to pray for.

Simply feel no accountability to your fellow parishioners and their needs. So what if there is a host of Bible verses that address accountability. Something about “when you help the less fortunate, you’re helping God” comes to mind. (Matt.25: 35 – 40) Should that really make a difference?

And speaking of prayer, when you pray Christian prayers like the Lord’s Prayer, make sure you don’t keep any promises that are a part of those prayers. When your spouse makes a promise and doesn’t keep it, he/she offends. So what if God feels the same when you utter the words:”Thine will be done on earth as it is in heaven?”Or the principles of the “Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi: “Lord make me an instrument of your peace” and not put these words into practice?

Follow these steps and in due time, your church will have scarce attendance. Or even empty, ready for demolition. Or be turned into condos.

There are some fine looking buildings that would make attractive condos.

A

artistry

Interesting. I had no idea such a transition was occurring. As I am very guilty , I have not been to church in a good long time. For my own personal health reasons.
Changes, changes.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
This is really true. All over the world traditional and mainstream Christianity is losing the steam and flavor hence there is no considerable growth vis-a-vis with the almost explosive growth of the Islam faith. Even in Europe which is the bastion of Catholicism, people are turning to secularism and away from the influence of the great universal church. I am not sure if this trend can be reversed soon but there must be some intervening events that can push people to revisit their Christian roots. :)

rose banks

I feel so guilty. I think I contributed to something to make my church fall. I'm not active in going to church anymore. I'm not practicing what I learned. I am one of the people now who are not thinking about their faith but money and power. It's all my fault. I don't want to live my life away from God. I should make my best to revive and heal quench my spiritual dryness.

pafjlh

Well I will admit I was born Catholic, but I am no longer a part of church. I now seem myself as spiritual, I believe in a higher force at work, pray to them all the time, but I am not religious. I think the thing that happen to me was that I was finding organize religion to be just that organized. If you were a good Catholic you didn't get divorced, if you were a good Catholic you didn't take birth control, if you were a good Catholic you didn't have a abortion. Now these may seem like easy things to follow but all of them have gray areas that the church refused to even consider.

For example, should you stay married to someone who abuses you or cheats on you just because your Catholic. Now the church has started to bend on this allowing individuals to be granted an annulment in the church so that they could continue to remain with it. But in some cases individuals have left the Catholic church over this issue. Then there is birth control, at one time may not have seem like a big deal, but then HIV and AIDs started to come into play with unprotected sex. Yet, the Catholic church still refuse to budge on it being acceptable to use any form of birth control, even though it was no longer just a case of preventing births but preventing deaths. Then there is abortion, once again may seem cut and dry. But like birth control there is a gray area what if a woman was raped, what if her own life is in danger having the baby. The Catholic church refuses to even look at these circumstances.

So am I surprised the more and more people are walking away? Not really, I walked away and it doesn't mean that I turned my back on God, it just means that I turned my back on a religion that I could no longer support.

marlinealcott

Well, Churches here in the Southern United States seem to be thriving as much as ever. That said, I haven't gone to church for years. Organized religion became too limiting for my spirituality. I don't follow the rules and regulations set by others. I want my spirituality to be free and always ready to grow and change. I felt that I couldn't be that way within the Church.