johnmarty

In this video, I'll provide 3 tips you can use to be more confident in your next interview.

Interviews can be nerve wracking, but being prepared and having the right mindset go a long way to increasing your confidence.
Calm your nerves with a couple practical tips and don't forget to smile!

Wishing you the best of luck!

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
Great tips John. I would just add for number 3 body language, when you are speaking with employer, try to not close yourself. I mean many people (I did it all the time), when they are nervous, when they are out of their comfort zone, they try to close your body (get your hands before your stomach, or cross your hands,...). It comes with preparation, but when we start to be aware, how I talk with someone else, we will see that we do that kind of stuff I mentioned before. But when you stand straight, you are not closing yourself, your shoulders aim up and little bit backwards, you will actually be more confident. Scientists determined, that by not closing and standing in normal position, there are increase of stress hormone up to 30%. So to be better on job interview, we start with being aware how we communicate with other people. And once we start noticing that, we could slowly change that bad habit.

VEM

Advisor Member
Great tips John. I would just add for number 3 body language, when you are speaking with employer, try to not close yourself. I mean many people (I did it all the time), when they are nervous, when they are out of their comfort zone, they try to close your body (get your hands before your stomach, or cross your hands,...).

Very good point DreamLifeRules. I had an interview yesterday and I was definitely paying attention to my body language, sitting up straight, not crossing my legs or arms. You have to realize and take advantage of the fact that the people that are interviewing you are reading your body language. I think you should be relaxed but not too relaxed and good posture tells the interviewers that you are paying attention to your body language and the clothing you selected for the interview. This is indicating to them that you pay attention to detail, that's a good thing.

Also don't get consumed by anxiety and continuously not know what to say to questions. Its ok to have to take some time before answering some questions but not all of them. If so that means your anxiety level has reached the point where its having a negative effect on the interview. To the interviewer that means you may have problems on the job when things get stressful.

Finally don't get too friendly with them even if you and them come to find out you share some of the same hobbies or interests. I mean be nice, be cordial but don't let that relax you, they will notice this. Stay a little rigid. You're on stage, you have to stay in character.

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
You can take body language even a step further and at the same time make the conversation easier as well. How do you do this? By focusing on the other person.

When we naturally like other people we tend to mirror their body language. When we reverse engineer this, you can slowly start to mirror the person who's interviewing you. Of course, don't do this too obvious.

This also releases the pressure of thinking: am I sitting correctly? Is my posture okay? etc.

All the best,
Mick