How Much Does Pride Affect Your Decision Making?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I haven't, I think I would only as a last resort. A long time ago I turned to credit cards to avoid that, figuring later on I'd have a higher salary and could pay it back. It took so many years though to pay off the cards and I really regret doing that. Perhaps it would have been better to borrow from someone I know and pay it off at much less interest. However for me I don't think it's being too proud, I just don't like the feeling of being in debt to a friend or family, I don't know why but I'd just about rather pay the interest if I can manage it.

Cecil Estrera

What an interesting question when I am experiencing exactly the same problem!

Actually, we have this small internet cafe as our family business.
Apparently, it isn't making a good profit because of the low rates that my sister offers to our customers.
I can't really blame her because the competitor's rates are much more lower.
So here's the current bill amounts:

Electricity - P 15,500+
Internet - P 1000
Water - P 488+

Because I can't afford to pay for all of those, I asked my mother if she could lend me some money due to my helplessness but unfortunately all I got was words that really hurt.
Right now, I still can't pay for those but I won't ask for her help anymore.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Asking somebody for money to answer some financial obligations is a very common practice especially with a family-oriented country like the Philippines. It is part of our culture to run to the family members and other close relatives and even friends so as to survive on difficult situations. However, we know that this is not an easy thing to do most especially for a person with a high level of pride within him/herself. Personally, this is my last resort if all other choices are already exhausted. Talking to somebody asking for help is something I really fear. Heck, I even find it difficult to ask my borrowers to pay me back the money they owed many years ago.

beingwell

Have you ever been too proud to even ask your best friend or family for money to pay the bills?
Thank God I haven't been in this position, gowriter. But if I do need them, I would never be proud enough nor ashamed to ask for help from my family and friends.

iebo

Yes I have been to proud to ask for money. I don't the feeling that I can't take care of myself. So there's been days when I've gone without food. Fortunately I'm doing better now and even though I work long hours I can be proud that I can pay my own bills.

dietcoke55

I would never be too proud to ask for help, be in financial or emotional, if I needed it. I don’t understand people that don’t ask for help, struggle in silence, then brag about the fact that they kept their pride and want other people to congratulate them.

vest007

I have never felt that way. Whenever I am in some bad condition financially (happens very rarely indeed), I'd take from my friends or my relatives. The only thing we should do is that we should also return the favor when bad times happen to them. :D

speedy

Advisor Member
Have you ever been too proud to even ask your best friend or family for money to pay the bills?
When, I was in college I studied as a working student. I came to the point where I really need help and ask help from the friends around, yet nothing. I was very sad about that time since every time they asked, I will help them without any questions. It really hurts me and the scars are still there. From that time, I never asked help from my friends around me, I have some good friends online that help me that moment. Now, if I need some financial help I will pray and go directly to my mother. She understand every situation and nothing to worry about. If I can still the situation, I will not seek help because I don't have to worry. But I don't have anymore choice, I will call her. :)

zararina

Coaching Member
I could say that pride does affect me in terms of seeking help just like money. I am used to do things myself and hardly seek for help unless it is really necessary. I had experienced asking help from friends and sometimes they could not help but i do understand cause they are not able. But there are whom you know could help you but was not willing to help, i just leave them.

radascars

Advisor Member
When I started working I rent a house for me to live independently and it worked out for several months until I realized that I cannot support my self independently and most of the time I borrowed cash from my mom to pay my monthly bills. I feel so embarrassed whenever I do that but I can't helped it being a nurse in my country is like your willing to work without pay. :(

vest007

When I started working I rent a house for me to live independently and it worked out for several months until I realized that I cannot support my self independently and most of the time I borrowed cash from my mom to pay my monthly bills. I feel so embarrassed whenever I do that but I can't helped it being a nurse in my country is like your willing to work without pay. :(
Saddened to hear that. Are you in some sort of training period or working as an apprentice? I hope once you get confirmed as a permanent employee, you will get your regular salary and it will help you to sustain yourself. And borrowing money from parents is not such a bad thing. Even during the first two years of my job here, I was doing it. The salary then wasn't enough to keep up with the expenses.

radascars

Advisor Member
Saddened to hear that. Are you in some sort of training period or working as an apprentice? I hope once you get confirmed as a permanent employee, you will get your regular salary and it will help you to sustain yourself. And borrowing money from parents is not such a bad thing. Even during the first two years of my job here, I was doing it. The salary then wasn't enough to keep up with the expenses.
Well actually I am now a Staff Nurse in a tertiary hospital here in our country but the salary is not good for me to pay all the expenses monthly. So I tend to work extra to earn more that's why as of now I am still, somehow, borrowing money but I think a couple of months I will be able to have my own living and be independent :)