How Important Is Friendship?

beingwell

I'd like to know how many of you here thinks that friendship plays an important role in a good, lasting relationship? I, for one believe this to be true. My husband and I are good friends first before we are a couple. We know our good and bad points and we accept each other for whatever flaws we have.

How about you? What do you think?

Regine Richter

hi beingwell friendship is very important. Sadly unlike in the generation of my parents, these who are now about 70 and over there are not many life long friendships in my own generation.Growing up with my mothers custody with an aunt and my Grandma in the same houeshold meant I find it much easier to be friends with older people than with people my age and I had some beautiful friendships of 20 or 30 years length with these older friends till they passed away.
Friendships come and go in our lives now, sometimes you simply grow apart and cant help it and thats sad but one should never cease efforts to finding new friends.

beingwell

hi beingwell friendship is very important. Sadly unlike in the generation of my parents, these who are now about 70 and over there are not many life long friendships in my own generation.Growing up with my mothers custody with an aunt and my Grandma in the same houeshold meant I find it much easier to be friends with older people than with people my age and I had some beautiful friendships of 20 or 30 years length with these older friends till they passed away.
Friendships come and go in our lives now, sometimes you simply grow apart and cant help it and thats sad but one should never cease efforts to finding new friends.
I guess that's what the social networks like Facebook are there for. Personally, I only have very few friends whom I am still in contact with. But to those that I don't get to chat with often, that doesn't mean that they are less of a friend that the others. What matters is the times we have spent with them. So I say make it count always.:)

Regine Richter

I guess that's what the social networks like Facebook are there for. Personally, I only have very few friends whom I am still in contact with. But to those that I don't get to chat with often, that doesn't mean that they are less of a friend that the others. What matters is the times we have spent with them. So I say make it count always.:)
true here too I love my social networks and my online friends are no less friends than off line friends. Hope we make and keep many friends from around the world.

speedy

Advisor Member
Friendship is very important for me. I valued friendship a lot. There are instance when I went back to our province and I very excited to meet my old friends in Elementary. I am glad that I restored my communication with some of my friends on facebook and sad to say also that there are some that even your closest one before is very cold towards you especially you couldn't give them what they ask from you. When I was in high school, I had a list of all my friends since childhood and I always remember them wherever I go and in my prayers.

radascars

Advisor Member
Friends, how important they are?

Well in my own point of view, in my world where I build my solitary place Friends are your support system. They are what you are, they give the best out of you, critique you and build your own personality.

I used to have a lot of friends before and I am really one of those guys that can easily befriends with others especially girls, I am entertaining and I talked too much that's what my friends like about me.

After those hardships with my past relationship, I got too depressed and I left my self unseen by no one, as I wanted to move on, I never let my friends see me anymore and engage my self into a new life, new me and new friends.

On that moment, I realize that friends really do good things about you, without them your life will be miserable, they are like your family. You need them to be able to feel that life is about you. :(

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
My spouse is my best earthly friend. We have known each other since since the beginning of time or so it seems. He knows what I'm thinking always and I know what he is thinking. We are very much attuned to each other's moods, maybe too much so, to the point that even a slight shift in attitude gets attention. We were friends before having a relationship and now are better partners and parents because of our friendship which allows for teamwork.

radascars

Advisor Member
My spouse is my best earthly friend. We have known each other since since the beginning of time or so it seems. He knows what I'm thinking always and I know what he is thinking. We are very much attuned to each other's moods, maybe too much so, to the point that even a slight shift in attitude gets attention. We were friends before having a relationship and now are better partners and parents because of our friendship which allows for teamwork.
Having a husband like that is sweet! He's not just your husband but a true friend as well, that is really a good example of a perfect family. Friends really made people to have a good foundation in their relationship. Even in arguments, fights and misunderstanding the friendship will always be there nothing to lose. :)

beingwell

Friendship is very important for me. I valued friendship a lot. There are instance when I went back to our province and I very excited to meet my old friends in Elementary. I am glad that I restored my communication with some of my friends on facebook and sad to say also that there are some that even your closest one before is very cold towards you especially you couldn't give them what they ask from you. When I was in high school, I had a list of all my friends since childhood and I always remember them wherever I go and in my prayers.
There are friends and there are people that we know. I know a lot of people from my past, but not all of them are my friends. They are not my enemies, of course. I just know them.:)

beingwell

Friends, how important they are?

Well in my own point of view, in my world where I build my solitary place Friends are your support system. They are what you are, they give the best out of you, critique you and build your own personality.

I used to have a lot of friends before and I am really one of those guys that can easily befriends with others especially girls, I am entertaining and I talked too much that's what my friends like about me.

After those hardships with my past relationship, I got too depressed and I left my self unseen by no one, as I wanted to move on, I never let my friends see me anymore and engage my self into a new life, new me and new friends.

On that moment, I realize that friends really do good things about you, without them your life will be miserable, they are like your family. You need them to be able to feel that life is about you. :(
My support system is more of my family than my friends, rad. Yes, you are right that life is all about you. I don't think that we need our friends so much that we need them to make us feel alive. We need to do that ourselves so we may give value to our friends and families.

However, I do understand where you're coming from. It's good that you actually had time to be alone for a while and find yourself. This way, you'll be a stronger person than before.

beingwell

That's inspiring MMM. I consider my hubby my bestest friend, as well. I feel very lucky to have found him. (Yeah, I'm sure he feels the same thing!:p)

tired

My hubby was my best friend for 18 years - then it kind of fell apart - don't think it will ever come back.
Radascars, sounds like you might have gone through a tough time, glad you are better - you sound like a mature and smart young man - stay well!!:)

radascars

Advisor Member
My hubby was my best friend for 18 years - then it kind of fell apart - don't think it will ever come back.
Radascars, sounds like you might have gone through a tough time, glad you are better - you sound like a mature and smart young man - stay well!!:)
Thanks for the compliment tired. I really had some tough problems before and I'm really blissful that I became mature in a sense that I can give wisdom and help people to be their mind opener.

Cecil Estrera

I've never been a friend to my husband when we are not still together, but I think it counts too in a relationship.
This helps to deepen the bond between partners and therefore making the love strong. The bad side of it though is when the relationship that starts with friendship ends, the harder it is to move on.

radascars

Advisor Member
I've never been a friend to my husband when we are not still together, but I think it counts too in a relationship.
This helps to deepen the bond between partners and therefore making the love strong. The bad side of it though is when the relationship that starts with friendship ends, the harder it is to move on.
I totally agree, if your partner is used to be your best friends its really hard to move on when your relationship ends. I experienced it before and it really made me depressed and sad. Somehow being friends before relationship is good because the trust is there, you just need to cherish it and keep it growing. :)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Conversely, I've heard about people starting out as friends, getting involved romantically and then married and when the relationship starts to sour, they choose to end their romantic attachment but keep the friendship. That's SO mature. I don't think I could ever do such a thing. But, I have heard of it being done. And, I guess if you knew the other person was always going to be there for you as a friend so it wouldn't be emotional abandonment, then it might be easier to give up the romantic aspect of the relationship. Some people are meant to be best friends but not romantic life partners.

radascars

Advisor Member
I agree with you! There are really people meant to be as friends even if they were in a relationship before, I have some friends who already experienced it and she was able to move on easily knowing that the friendship is still there.

zararina

Coaching Member
Friendship for me is important and i believe that it could really make the relationships last long or even forever. Friends that do end up as partners in life would find it is so easy to adjust to each other even on their first months together as couples. Simply because trust, love and care is build up with a good foundation, and that is friendship.;)

nov0586

Friendship is like water for a plant. It helps nurture you and helps keep you alive. As the saying goes "No man is an island" we need friends to keep us company through our UPS and DOWNS in life.

speedy

Advisor Member
I am happy for you and the is a very ground for the relationship. Your story is very inspiring and being friend with your spouse will have a good effect to your daughter. She will grow up lively and have a higher self-esteem compare to those parents who even didn't talk at home. I knew some couples that seldom to speak inside the house. I guess, if you are friend with your spouse you can talk anything you want as what normal friend does. :)