How Do You Treat Your Maids/Househelp?

beingwell

I grew up with a maid/househelp when I was a child. We never treated them differently. They were like my friends. My parents taught us to respect them and treat them as "ates" (elderly sisters). I feel bad when I see them treated wrongly in other households. What they do is a job, similar to what we do to our employers at work. They deserve as much respect as the person next to us. What do you think?

radascars

Advisor Member
I was not able to have a house keeper or a maid, but whenever I went to one of my friends house they have 2 house hold keeper and they are happy working in them. I really hate people who treat their maids a slave, this mentality is should not be tolerated. We only have to respect them as they are doing their job properly.

cold_00

I loooooooove my house helper! She has been with us for almost six years now and I don't treat her any less like family. It's very hard to find decent house help nowadays and we've had a couple before we finally met her, she isn't perfect but I saw that she genuinely cared about us especially my son (who loves her dearly as well) and I love her for that. She dines with us, we bring her along mostly everywhere we go, and she is fairly and lovingly treated. :)

fsxss

You only gain from treating maids and, generally, people "below you" respectfully because they are there to help you and are not your slaves. The fact that you're fortunate enough and are paying them to do the "dirty work" you don't want to doesn't give you the right to treat them like you're superior or, worse, with disrespect. Also, if you treat your "subordinates" in an unpleasing way, they'll be less motivated to do a good job and that's not something you want. This seems so obvious and sensible to me that I'm always shocked when I see someone treating people this way.

JamJam

I called our helpers " ATE".
I have no sister and I consider them as my sisters.
We treat them as part of our family. My parents are very nice people and they taught us about humility and respect.

Cecil Estrera

As of now we don't have anyone to assist us in the house. But when I was young I remember we used to have one.
We treated her as our second mother for our parents are always outside the house working.
So she's there to guide us.

vest007

In my house, we are having one housemaid. And she is as rude as any one can ever get. Many times I tried to fire her, but she never goes away. It is only a matter of time before we kick her out of the house. Whenever I tell her to make some food item, she either reply that she don't know how to cook it or will tell that the ingredients are not there in the house. I am fed up with her. :mad:

speedy

Advisor Member
I grew up with a maid/househelp when I was a child. We never treated them differently. They were like my friends. My parents taught us to respect them and treat them as "ates" (elderly sisters). I feel bad when I see them treated wrongly in other households. What they do is a job, similar to what we do to our employers at work. They deserve as much respect as the person next to us. What do you think?
I salute you sis. I grew up poor so I never had experienced to have a maid...hehe. Besides, I worked as domestic helper in Hong Kong. Being a household helper is not easy, so what you are doing is right. They are human being and need to be respected. Though their status in life is lower than their employers, yet they deserve to have equal rights and should not be abuse. They have their own family to feed too, that's why they are working hard as much as they can, I wish other employers can realized that. As many household helpers abroad that were being abused and treated like a slave. :(

AmazingP

Advisor Member
How we treat people who are working as our domestic helpers is a great manifestation on our personality. When employers are treating their helpers badly, it goes to show that these employers are devoid of civility and right manners. We need these people and so we should treat them right like members of the family by releasing on-time the salary agreed upon and extending to them some form of generosity from time to time. Unfortunately, some domestic helpers are abused physically and emotionally by those people they are working for.

zararina

Coaching Member
We also do not have a maid but i would certainly treat her/him right. It would be nice living in a home where all of the people there are treating each other right including the house helper. Besides, it was not that easy to find a helper that you could trust so better treasure them if you find one.

dietcoke55

There have been a lot of news stories recently about housekeepers taking on jobs in rich country estates to rob the owners or nannies abusing children, so I think it is those sorts of stories that stick with people and make them treat any sort of domestic helper like they are the scum of the earth.

I personally have never lived in a house with a maid, nor would I want one even if I had the money as I like my privacy. However I treat people as I would like to be treated so if I was to employ a house help I would treat him or her with the upmost respect.

rose banks

Yes of course, they're humans too and deserve respect from they're employers or whoever they work to. In fact treat them as one of your family, let them join in the table for meals, they're supposed to eat what you eat and befriend them . Respect them and do not shout on them.

Jessi

I have never had a maid or staff help of any sort. We didn't have that kind of money.

We have worked as such, though, and always been really friendly with the people we worked with. Over time, it's easy to become friends.

marlinealcott

I'm kind of amazed that so many people have had maids.

I AM a maid. No one really treats me badly, but they don't talk to me or treat me like a "friend" either, which is fine by me. I'm not there to make friends. I'm there to clean, as quickly as possible, and then go back to my life.

bneil

A maid or a househelp no matter what occupation or appearance should be treated well, since we are all humans living on the same Earth, we should respect each other. Maids who are treated well, works well.

IsabelleChan

I don't have a maid but if I have, I'm going to treat her like a family member of our house. One of my families that I'm giving private tuition to has a maid and she is like a bigger sister for the two children. She gets along with the children really well and I can see that the children trust in and rely on her. Maids are important since they basically do all the mundane, repetitive chores and help maintain the order of the house. Maids should be treated with due respect and it's only another ordinary job.

pafjlh

Well, I have never had house help unless you count my mother. Which of course I treated with the most love and respect. However, if I did have a maid or housekeeper I would like to believe that I would treat them with respect, because they would be doing me a great service. However, could I treat them like a close friend, I not quite sure, the reason I say this is because they would still be working for me. When someone works for you there still has to be a professional relationship of boss and employee. But at the same token I don't think I would even treat them like they were below me in any way, since they aren't.

buroo

I'd say that I won't behave rudely with my maid/househelp out of any kind of prejudice but as in this world there are different kinds of persons, so are the maids also. In our house I've seen most of the types available: good, average and bad. We were probably one of the fewer ones who treated them with respect, with my mother sharing our food and snacks with them, or other gifts and never let them feel disrespected or unwanted. The good maid had a long association with us till we left that locality. Even today if we happen to meet suddenly on the road we exchange pleasantries.

That was the good episode. About the average I'd say every home has some sort of complaints or the other and altercations go on, but we didn't treat anyone poorly because of that, despite frequent absence from work or improper work. Regarding the bad I remember a maid who stole utensils from our house and was caught almost red-handed. But we didn't call the police or made real fuss about it, we just ensured that she should never return in our home again.

So when treating maids/househelp is concerned one must realize that there can be both sides of a coin but one shouldn't act out of prejudice as many people do, which is really sad and needs to change.