How do you stay motivated?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Carl Melton, May 10, 2017. Replies: 21 | Views: 1043

1. Carl Melton

Carl Melton Member

If you're like me, you find motivation pretty fragile.
    Sometimes it's just there, and other times you really have to work at it.
    My tricks that work for me (mostly) are:
    • to surround myself with my favourite quotes.
      I pin them to the wall around me and read them every day.
      When I thing one is getting a little unhelpful, I swap it for another (as we all know there are hundreds if not thousands of these things out there).
    • to surround myself with positivity (I'm still not sure that's actually a word, but if not, maybe it should be).
      That can be the quotes, or positive uplifting music, or just sitting by the window on a bright sunny day.
    • to think about why I started.
    • to think about achieving my goals.
    • to remind myself of the power of perseverance. the fact that small steps every day add up to a big journey.
    • to remember that every day is a day that I won't ever get again, a day where it's important to make some progress in whatever you're doing.
    And usually, once I get started, I can keep going (Perseverance truly is a wonderful thing).
    The first step, whether to achieving your goals or to starting your day is always the hardest!

What do you do to stay motivated, especially on the days when you would really rather do something else?
    I'd love to hear your thoughts, and use some of your tips to get better myself

2. madkhaos

madkhaos Coaching Member

Great post! Thanks for the insight. (y)

I pretty much use these 5 habits to stay motivated:

1. Eliminate Distractions & Manage Your Time
    2. Write down your objectives and apprehensions
    3. Visualize the future
    4. Yoga and Meditation
    5. Find a Mentor
    I think the most challenging one is finding the right mentor. This could take some time to accomplish, but once you find the right one you will learn and achieve great things!

You can read 5 Habits You Must Inculcate To Stay Motivated and Succeed for a more in depth explanation.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Marvin Tampus likes this.
  3. Paul Proctor

Paul Proctor Member

When I need to find motivation, I try to focus on what I want out of a task - what is it for? Am I trying to build my career, provide for my family, improve myself or just trying to get through the day. Motivation is much easier if we realize we want to get the task done for a larger purpose.

Peace Peace and Marvin Tampus like this.
  4. ang.necole11

ang.necole11 Member

I especially liked your last point. When I find myself wasting time, I think of how much I could have accomplished had I have been more productive. With that being said, taking breaks, even from activities you really enjoy, it helpful as well.

5. john_268

john_268 New Member

Teacher
    I try to watch motivational films and videos, reading books of succeded peolpe and about peole who always achive their goals. Also I take part in a program of personal development!

6. anna_bizmotivator

anna_bizmotivator New Member

Virtual Assistant / Online Biz Motivator
    It's pretty much easy to get frustrated each time I experience setbacks, but I don't allow frustration to overwhelm me.

The first thing I do to get over it and get motivated is to write down what happened in my daily journal. I take down the events as they happened, what I felt, what I did, and as I write them all down, things get clearer. Somehow, when I am able to read what I felt about the situation, I get motivated and inspired to continue on and say, "Yes, today I will do it right this time. And this is what I will do...."

And then I go on to my daily meditation, even for just 5 minutes of settling down. That helps a lot!

7. WriteSuccess

WriteSuccess New Member

Reading and/or listening to inspirational audios are my favorite go to sources for motivation. as for audios, I download everything relevant that I can get for free off the Web--interviews, lectures, audiobooks, etc.--plus I've been known to purchase my fair share. I like to burn them to CDs and play them while I drive. It's quite easy to create an amazing audio library that you can dip into over and over!

8. WriteSuccess

WriteSuccess New Member

Oh and podcasts!! There are literally thousands that you can download that are motivational/inspirational!

Marvin Tampus, madkhaos and msuccess like this.
  9. madkhaos

madkhaos Coaching Member

Yes, there is a huge and open source of free podcasts. Great point out WriteSuccess! (y)

10. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Stay-At-Home-Mom
    I made a visual poster of the things I want to achieve in life. I cut out pictures from magazines and pasted them on a white poster board and I hung it on a wall I see everyday as a reminder. This is a great visual and every time you look at it you are subconsciously reminding yourself of your dreams.

11. Cynthia

Cynthia Senior Member

Entrepreneur
    I start with gratitude. That lifts me up so that I can do the other things.

12. Tani

Tani Member

Certified Life Coach
    If I'm feeling unmotivated I sit and think about what my body is telling me at the moment. I've always been the type of person to honor how I'm feeling or what I'm feeling compelled to do, whether it be productive or not. Sometimes you need to allow yourself to mentally rest. Right now I'm not feeling motivated to write a blog post (which I should be doing), but for some reason I was feeling compelled to come and post on here...which is actually motivating me to go and write my blog post. But other than honoring how I feel at the moment, music, sitting by a sunny window (which you said), and having something warm to drink just really puts my mind at ease and opens up my thought process.

13. Tj Hines

Tj Hines New Member

Real Estate Investor | Blogger |Mentor
    I stay motivated by my goals. Human beings are goal oriented. We are at our most happiest times in life when we are pursuing something we have a keen interest in. When I'm learning new things I'm motivated.

Just think about it....

when you start a new job, it's fun and interesting. Why is that? Because its something new. Usually by the 3rd or 4th week what was once new starts to become boring and redundant. I believe that all humans should be learning something new at all times to peak motivation.

Also reading books of successful entrepreneurs and all of the things they had to go through to get to where they are at. Listening to motivational speakers such as: Jim Rohn, Zig Ziglar, Les Brown, Bob Proctor, Lisa Nichols. All of these speakers have played a pivotal roll in my personal development.

Knowing how to dig deep and find it within yourself will be key to your success.

14. Angie Necole

Angie Necole Advisor Member

15. Plokoon111

Plokoon111 Member

Yes that's very important! Changing your routine makes it exciting its sort of like changing your workout routine every month.

16. iwillbemyself

iwillbemyself Advisor Member

I read somewhere that motivation is like a shower, we should do it every day to don't lose the benefits.

I think it's funny and genial :ROFLMAO:

17. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    My strategies for motivation have already been revealed! ;)

I listen to motivational YouTube clips (lots and lots!) and audio, read motivational books and gain as much motivational inspiration as possible from those who inspire me (Tony Robbins, Jim Rohn, Les Brown).

I also focus on the goal at hand. What I'm working towards, this helps me stay motivated. Consistency also helps, taking regular intentional action keeps me motivated.

Thanks Carl for this thought provoking post!

:)

18. Ricardo Ortiz

Ricardo Ortiz Advisor Member

Clinical Psychotherapist
    There is no super trick that maintains people motivated. As a clinical therapist I have seen over the years patients or clients who have achieve their goals have something in common. They change their reason or their why about their goal. They are constantly motivating by one reason then it burns out like fuel and they find another powerful reason to keep going. For instance, losing weight. The biggest motivator to start you off might be to get beautiful dates. Then as time goes by that motivation or why burns out. But you still want to lose weight. Eventually you figure out that your body has more energy and that motivates you to keep going. Then in time that also burns out. Then you figure out you need another reason to keep the weight off and you discover that your skin color improve. What am I saying here? Motivation burns out so you need to come up with more reasons or another reason when one burns out. It's a way to trick the mind to keep going. Hope this helps take care friend.

19. marypsi

marypsi Member

Musician
    What are some of your favorite podcasts that you find inspiring?

I love podcasts! Mostly science, historical, and humorous. I'd love to know some motivational ones. Thank you!

20. marypsi

marypsi Member

Musician
    That's so important! It's been a hard thing to learn, but I've really begun to let go of some of that guilt when I'm not feeling productive. It's important to be aware of our body's (and mind's!) limits, and to allow for rest. I find usually I'm just mentally overwhelmed, and I need some downtime to allow my brain to become less active/overstimulated. Sometimes you need to clear your mind before you can focus on a task or goal!