How Do You Schedule Your Day?

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
Hey,
I would like to ask you a 3 questions about managing your time:

1. How do you schedule your day?
  2. How do you decide, what you will do each day,which task is more important?
  3. How are you finding balance between your health, work, and relatinoships?

- I myself like to do health, work and relationship in this exact order.

Of course, sometimes there are exceptions, but I am trying to do it this way.

You asked a good question that was direct and to the point.

1) I don't like scheduling. Any time I plan out my day hour by hour it just fails. I don't think you can accurately predict how long something will take. For example, I usually have a goal of reading about 50 pages a day and this sometimes takes 45 mins other times it takes an hour and half or longer.

I have narrowed down the variation to a couple of things.
  • How much thinking do I have to do about the book?
  • How big is the font?
  • How distracted am I?
  • How fatigued is my mind?
  • Do I have something that I should be doing but am not?
Depending on how I answer the above question determines whether or not I read slow or fast. The point I am trying to make is that in all the important activities that you write down. Sometimes you will get them done faster other days you will need more time. I almost forget about all the random things that just have habit of showing up. They are like unwanted pregnancies.

Instead what I do is I give myself objectives for the day. Usually around 5 big hard meaty goals to accomplish in that particular day. Sometimes it is four work related goals and one that is something else like health/personal growth/skill development or something of the like.

2) I choose to do the hardest thing first. I truly believe that willpower is finite and that in the morning you are the most productive. Those first few hours are sweeter than the juices contained in a mango. Among my five objectives there's usually one I really enjoy doing and another that I just don't like but I know I need to do. That is the one in which I dedicate the hours before breakfast too. After I finish it I usually reward myself with a guilty pleasure.

On a side note most of the tasks I do are all critical to progression. If I don't do them I don't progress so I do them.

3) I agree with your ordering. Work will never ever beat health. Without health you have nothing. I honestly don't think you can have a balance. I believe that you can have two but not three.

You can have work + health at the expense of your relationships. If you truly love your work you are working long hours. Most of the time that suffocates relationships. The only way I have seen it work is if you integrate the relationship into the work. Which means you have to find someway for you to get paid to be tending to your loved ones.

Health + Relationships. I mean the only sacrifice you make here is that you wouldn't progress fast. Their is a lack of ambition here. If you are here that means that your not competitive because you are being outworked by the competition.

Health + Work. I mean you have to be a certain type of person to enjoy this. I think this is a phase more than anything else and to reach this stage you have to sacrifice a lot. The only problem is that this combo is cancer. Eventually you will wake up one day in a cold sweat and realize that something is dreadfully wrong. You will have a mini life crisis and to your dismay you will discover the tumour. A whole in yourself that demands meaning, fulfillment and all the other things that the feely side of your mind needs.

You can suppress it and have some peace until it flares up again or cut it off at the root by radically changing your life and sacrificing your work life.