How do you know when it's enough to stop?

Let's say you set out a financial goal for yourself and you work hard to get it. After all, you see another higher level and you strive to get it. But once you got it you feel unsatisfied and you keep wanting more.

So how do you know when enough is enough? But if you feel it's enough and you are satisfied, you will lose the driving force, the hunger to achieve more.

What is everyone's thought about this?

padfonic

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to re-set your standards each time you achieve a goal. The problem only arises when you don't enjoy the journey or forget to live a meaningful life in the process. It's great to strive, to attain and then to re-focus... As long as you ensure it doesn't come at the expense of your core happiness or your true values.

That's true. Growth is life isn't it. When we want to have more, we have to grow more. Growth makes us fulfilled and happy. Progress equals happiness. As long as we are still congruent with our values and virtues.

Narkissos

That's true. Growth is life isn't it. When we want to have more, we have to grow more. Growth makes us fulfilled and happy. Progress equals happiness. As long as we are still congruent with our values and virtues.
Very well said. Ironically, I wrote a blog entry on this earlier this year.

I'm not sure if it'd go against the forum's rules to share the link however.

Hilmi Hamdan

Good question. Thing is, if what you have now is not enough, then nothing you add will be enough. Before going for another goal, learn to be satisfied with the current achievement or situation, yet playfully want more.

I sincerely believe that every step in life is a lesson. As we learn, we grow. Once we grow, we are become satisfied with a certain situation. We will then yearn for the next growth stage. So we see if we feel dissatisfied, there is yet more to learn. For instance if we only look at financial goals, and put relationships in the closet, we will forever feel incomplete. No amount of financial success can cover up this feeling of lack in relationships. Yet when we decide to finally tackle the relationship side, we will start feeling more content with our financial achievement and life as a whole.

Growth should be balanced, we need to always grow in a balanced way before we can go to the next level. Then we grow again, and find balance again before proceeding to the next level again.

Think of it like a video game, where you have to fill up several bars by achieving different kinds of goals. Only with all bars full are you given a key to unlock the next level. Once a bar is full, making it 'fuller', will not take it to the next level. No, be smart, fill the other bars, get the key and go to the next level. And don't worry, there is always a next level.

clairebeautiful

I think there is a difference between striving to achieve success (and constantly growing) and becoming obsessive - about anything.

That's like saying, how much is too much when it comes to weight loss? I think we all have seen the answer to that question.

The line isn't tangible. It is an attitude, and either it exists, always, or it doesn't. I know plenty of people who simply do everything they do because they are obsessive type people. Their relationships often suffer as a result.

convert411

I think there is a very big difference between being satisfied and being grateful. You can be satisfied with living the same daily routine for the rest of your life because it is comfortable but if you are grateful for everything you have accomplished you always see the best around you. You wake up looking forward to your day and everything you can accomplish. When you are satisfied you are just meeting your expectations which can easily lead to becoming dissatisfied if you don't have passion or drive to continue accomplishing future goals. When you are grateful you are being thankful for everything; your past, your present and your future and you show appreciation and return kindness to everyone.

I don't think you will ever have enough because life is always continuing and growing. We are here to develop and grow. For example, when some people retire they are withdrawing or retreating from life. This happens because they didn't set up goals they truly wanted that brought them joy and happiness.

Sometimes I catch myself just going through the motions even though I'm still working towards a goal and it is always a great reminder to sit down for a couple minutes and list 10 things I'm really grateful for. It always seems to get me back on track and focused on why I'm even working towards my goal and I've been told that I'm much for fun to be around when I'm grateful because I'm excited about life. This is just my experience with it, I love hearing other people's thoughts and experiences.