How Do You Handle Guilt?

beingwell

Have you ever done something that you wished you hadn't done? Or something that you shouldn't have done in the first place? Say, not pay the bus fare or shouted at someone because you were just too mad. Anything at all. How do you handle guilt, itself? Do you go to confession? Do you share your guilty feelings with your friend?

Me, I say sorry for ever have done it. And I try not to be in a similar situation again, so as to prevent the same thing to happen.

radascars

Advisor Member
I tend to apologize if I got shouted at someone especially when I am stress and very tired, sometimes I scolded one of my patient not following my instruction and I shouted him. I just then felt so guilt and I apologized, he accepted it and afterwards we got along well.

Sometimes you need to feel guilty first to admit your mistake and realize that you done wrong with your actions.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Been there! Done that! Blowing my lid used to be a very common occurrence when I was a much younger person. When my daughter was born, I had to learn patience and empathy and learned how to control myself. Still, there are days when I'm overly tired or in pain and will still get snippy or say a little comment that might be rude and then I will have to apologize. I don't dwell on it though. I like to apologize and move on. Don't let the sun go down on your anger, it's not good for your health. Same goes for guilt. If you dwell on the guilt, it will eat you up. Just make an honest effort to correct what you have done wrong, then move on.

radascars

Advisor Member
Been there! Done that! Blowing my lid used to be a very common occurrence when I was a much younger person. When my daughter was born, I had to learn patience and empathy and learned how to control myself. Still, there are days when I'm overly tired or in pain and will still get snippy or say a little comment that might be rude and then I will have to apologize. I don't dwell on it though. I like to apologize and move on. Don't let the sun go down on your anger, it's not good for your health. Same goes for guilt. If you dwell on the guilt, it will eat you up. Just make an honest effort to correct what you have done wrong, then move on.
But there are also times that you can't control your emotions especially when you are pressured and the tension is there, you tend to suddenly shout unintentionally and people around you might misinterpret your attitude as a whole. That happens to me sometimes cause I can't keep my emotions through my self I need somehow to release it. Its hard but I always apologize whenever that happened.

zararina

Coaching Member
Yes i had done several things in my life that i wished i have not done in the first place. I do apologize if i need to. I try my best not to repeat in again and be sorry for the bad things i have done and hurtful words that i have said.

radascars

Advisor Member
Yes i had done several things in my life that i wished i have not done in the first place. I do apologize if i need to. I try my best not to repeat in again and be sorry for the bad things i have done and hurtful words that i have said.
Isn't that hard to refrain your self from shouting at someone when you got used to it? Or how did you overcome the feeling of lessening down your temper?

speedy

Advisor Member
Have you ever done something that you wished you hadn't done? Or something that you shouldn't have done in the first place? Say, not pay the bus fare or shouted at someone because you were just too mad. Anything at all. How do you handle guilt, itself? Do you go to confession? Do you share your guilty feelings with your friend?

Me, I say sorry for ever have done it. And I try not to be in a similar situation again, so as to prevent the same thing to happen.
I always apologized when I did wrong and hurt somebody's felling. Then, I can't go to sleep clearly if I will not fix it. I always troubled with guilt and as much as possible I don't want to think about it. I sometimes shared it with friend only if not serious event but I would prefer to share it with my mother and my hubby.

Estefani

I don't deal with guilt very well, specially because I am very proud and hate apologizing. Instead of facing things I just try to avoid and forget about whatever it is that is making me feel guilty or I try to "fix" it by buying presents for those involved or doing something of the sort.

vest007

I don't care much about past things. Rather I concentrate more on the present and future. I believe that bygones are bygones. There is nothing to gain by worrying about things which you have done in the past. I do learn from my mistakes, but I never feel guilty about them. Mistakes can happen to anyone. It is quite natural.

Cecil Estrera

I admit that I am not a perfect person, and I've done mistakes in the past.
But oftentimes, I am not the one who commits it but the people around me.
What's wrong is that I respond to them angrily specially when I am provoked and shouted and I knew that I was right.
I know that you shouldn't make the fire worse when someone gets mad at you, but I think that's normal for me to react like that. It's the sudden feeling that cannot be usually avoided. But I always feel guilty.
Now, I try to be as calm as ever, and I strive hard to understand them all.

zararina

Coaching Member
Isn't that hard to refrain your self from shouting at someone when you got used to it? Or how did you overcome the feeling of lessening down your temper?
Honestly i am not used to shout at people. When i am angry, i choose to be quite cause i can say too hurtful words(not bad words) that i know i could not take back when already spoken. But there are really times i could not control myself and say those words, if i know i should have not say it, i say sorry. But if i know that those words could change that person to be better, i am taking my words back.;)

radascars

Advisor Member
Honestly i am not used to shout at people. When i am angry, i choose to be quite cause i can say too hurtful words(not bad words) that i know i could not take back when already spoken. But there are really times i could not control myself and say those words, if i know i should have not say it, i say sorry. But if i know that those words could change that person to be better, i am taking my words back.;)
I guess that's a normal person's reaction when they can't handle it anymore and tend to say hurtful words towards someone, taking back those words will do no good at all you need time to heal those words that you have said. :(

zararina

Coaching Member
I guess that's a normal person's reaction when they can't handle it anymore and tend to say hurtful words towards someone, taking back those words will do no good at all you need time to heal those words that you have said. :(
That is why when i am angry i better shut up my mouth.:D
It was really normal that we say hurtful words when angry and therefore better to talk to each other again when both are somehow cooled down.

Rhygez

It’s very draining and distressing living with a constant feeling of guilt. It also stops you from making the most effective and efficient decisions. In other words, you’ll end up making bad decisions simply because you’re reacting to those feelings of guilt. I even tend to do not talk with people when I am under pressure.

beingwell

I tend to apologize if I got shouted at someone especially when I am stress and very tired, sometimes I scolded one of my patient not following my instruction and I shouted him. I just then felt so guilt and I apologized, he accepted it and afterwards we got along well.

Sometimes you need to feel guilty first to admit your mistake and realize that you done wrong with your actions.
Hi rad! It really takes courage and humility to admit that we are wrong. It's a good thing that you were able to harness your strength when you apologized to this patient.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Carrying guilt is like having a heavy baggage on one's shoulder and it tends to get heavier as time goes by. of course, we can rationalize things and accept the fact that we are all humans so capable of making so many mistakes even to the point of hurting and alienating those people who are close to our heart.

As what I learned with years in my existence here on this planet, the best thing to deal with guilt is to confront the root cause of the problem. If it involves getting someone's forgiveness or sacrificing something, so be it. It may not be so easy -- or easier said than done but this is the best course of action.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I don't care much about past things. Rather I concentrate more on the present and future. I believe that bygones are bygones. There is nothing to gain by worrying about things which you have done in the past. I do learn from my mistakes, but I never feel guilty about them. Mistakes can happen to anyone. It is quite natural.
You are right. As humans, we are subject to different levels of weakness and making mistakes. Dwelling so much on the past mistakes won't help anybody. There should be an acceptance of our limitations and capabilities. For as long as we are not trampling on somebody's feet, then we have to move on and look forward for the future though learning from the lessons of past mistakes would be the best that we can do.

francrislee

It never easy to handle guilt. Sometimes you have to hurt someone "unintentionally" only to end up having guilt on what you did. Many times do I feel that way, to be in a very stressful job and a very stressful lifestyle, I'd say guilt has been one of my closest buddy. BUT despite it being my closest buddy, I can still control it. I might hurt one of my partners, my office mates, my boss or whoever else, but once I knew I did something awfully wrong, I'd apologize instantly.

DeeNeely

I try not to do "guilt." Guilt when indulged constantly develops into a form of addiction. If I do something I find I shouldn't have I just promise myself I will do better next time. Once an act is performed you can't un-act it. You can make amends, but you can't really un-do your actions. The best you can do looking backward is say that I acted as well as I could considering my state and then promise to do better next time. Guilt, like anger-hate-rage and the other poisons will consume you if you let it.

bright_light

Having a feeling of guilt locked up within is emotionally, mentally, and physically unhealthy. What has been done is done. To set my guilt free, I ask forgiveness from the person I offended, and then I make it a point to forgive myself too. I consider guilt as a personal punishment we inflict unto ourselves, and it is very unhealthy if we're hurting inside all the time. The bottom line is - we should learn to forgive ourselves.