How do you get teens to eat breakfast ?

John Beck.

Our teenage son will not eat a good sustaining breakfast.

He heads off to school with an almost empty stomach, this must effect his learning ability and as we all know breakfast is so important for our overall health.

We do want to instil good dietry habits in him for life.

Does anyone have any personal experiences or idea's to share on this ?

Priya32325

Sometimes what we tell to our kids they don't take it very seriously as they take us for granted so let them know from someone in your family , friends even better their physician from whom the words make more sense to them :) for the importance of eating breakfast specially when they are at growing stage. Give them some kind of fascination about how eating breakfast can transform their life and daily activities which they love to do. Tell them it will enhance their personality development , looks and increase their fitness level. I hope these tips will help you they always work for me as I have a teenage daughter , tell them you will look better, beautiful bang on they will do it .All the best .

Ellyn

This might depend on why he isn't eating a good sustaining breakfast. Is there something at school that he's in a hurry to get to? Or (sorry to bring this up, but it's necessary to ask) is there something--or someone--at the breakfast table that he wants to get away from?

Has he simply formed a habit of just, maybe, getting a granola bar from a vending machine and reading while he eats that's become his favorite moment of the day--even though it's not a healthy habit?

Or has some perfectionist tendencies combined with low self-esteem and trauma from bullying made him anorexic? It happens to boys, too. Researchers at the University of Oxford and the University of Glasgow estimated 1 in 4 cases of men having anorexia. It's not always about vanity, sometimes it's a machismo thing, "I have to suffer, I can take it, nourishment is for weak people!" That sort of thing.

You're the parent, and could take a hard line and impose that he take his time at the breakfast table, because it's for his own good after all.

Or, perhaps he could be more interested in something that's hearty but portable, such as a filling club sandwich.

Raz Chan

Hi John, I help volunteer and my company donates food to a Breakfast program for kids who come from low income families. From my experience yes kids who have an empty stomach will notice the effects on their learning ability. The principal of the school has told me that since we have starting helping the program they have noticed an increase in attendance and the grades of the kids.

What I would suggest is try buying a food emulsifyer like the Nutribullet. You can turn veggies and fruits into a smoothie. It's easy to clean and will give you son the energy he needs to start the day. I bought one a year ago and I've never felt better.

You can check out my blog post on the Nutribullet.

Raz Chan
Author, Personal Development & Fitness Expert, Martial Arts Champion

www.razchan.com

Last edited:

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Years later the kids may be old now LOL........In defense of your kids, there is an early 1900's author Wallace wattles who says breakfast is not natural for humans.
He wrote books like
The science of getting rich
the science of being healthy and a few others anyway he states the focus for kids and all should be on a proper sleep. He believed the source of life replenishes those during good rest. Thus we wake up full of energy to go hunt gather, or just go to school then we create a hunger to be met with lunch. It thought eating breakfast was just storing food for no purpose since we eat to replace energy not to gain it. For example most athletes don't eat huge meals prior to games or workouts that would weigh them down.

Not sure if I by in his theory but I do see my life practice has immolated it. To close out I have an autistic son and he doesn't do much I ask of him for eating , so I've found no matter how good the intention nothing forced on humans can do them good, especially with body matters we are "naturally" built do what is best for our bodies.