How Do You Define Character?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Kevin Mahoney, Oct 18, 2017. Replies: 5 | Views: 208

1. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    “Character is what closes the gap between knowing and doing. It aligns intentions and action.”

-John Maxwell

I came across the above quote this week and I thought it provided an informative definition of character. I have often heard character is defined by who we are when no one else is around. While there is a lot of truth to this, I prefer the Maxwell quote because it deals with an area where I can personally improve. That is, aligning what I wish to do and what I am actually doing. I feel that this is a challenge for the majority of people. Developing our character is a means to shorten the distance between “will do” and “am doing”.

Is character something that can be defined in one or two sentences? Are there any definitions of character that you find insightful?

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    I define character as having moral values you adhere to.

3. Ricardo Ortiz

Ricardo Ortiz Advisor Member

Clinical Psychotherapist
    I define character as intergrity of the self. Become your true self with a growth peaceful defenseless harmless self. Be good!

4. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    I do like the John Maxwell quote. It defines character as how we approach everyday aspects of our lives. Joining intention with action. Therefore the decisions we make and how we go about making them say a lot about our character. Would that mean that we could therefore change our character by improving our decision making processes?

I guess I would have to say that the core of one's character comes out during those difficult periods in life. Adversity not only builds character but puts one's character on display.

5. Umach

Umach Member

Great thoughts by every one here.

But some how i am not able to correlate it with the definition of character, may be my mistake in understanding.

For me character is is made up of moral values of prevalent society and measured by its "popularly acceptable" values. May be integrity or self-discipline is to "shorten the distance between “will do” and “am doing”. Isn't it? Sorry, i don't remember exact word for that.

When you say that a person have good character . What do you mean by that?

Often, i find it difficult to define " good character". May be there is no universal definition or may be its there.

Or may be i have fallen into trap laid down by Kevin to think more on this, with his thoughtful question. :)

Regards

6. Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney Coaching Member

Public Service
    Thanks for your responses Umach. I think you are ultimately correct, there is no universal definition. For me the simplest view is a person who practices the golden rule and treats others, or responsibilities, the way they would like others to do.

Umach likes this.