How do You Deal with Nay Sayers?

Dreek Lass

It's no secret that having spiritual beliefs is being more and more widely accepted these days, but there are always those who look at you like you are crazy for having the beliefs that you have, and others who are even rude to you because of this.

I have silenced a few nay sayers in the past, telling them that their opinion on what I believe bares no weight on whether I will continue to believe what believe or not.

How do you deal with people who tell you that your beliefs are wrong or crazy?

A

artistry

Hi Dreek, nice to see you. In the past, I have had people say different negative things to me about what I believe. I let them have their say or sometimes not, then I would just let them know that each of us have their own right to believe as they will. We do not have to accept what the other says, and it is perfectly alright to agree to disagree. I do not try to persuade or change minds, you usually wind up wasting a lot of energy and time.

Dorothy

It's no secret that having spiritual beliefs is being more and more widely accepted these days, but there are always those who look at you like you are crazy for having the beliefs that you have, and others who are even rude to you because of this.

I have silenced a few nay sayers in the past, telling them that their opinion on what I believe bares no weight on whether I will continue to believe what believe or not.

How do you deal with people who tell you that your beliefs are wrong or crazy?

I have to say it really used to bother me whenever somebody would talk down to me telling me how my spiritual beliefs are not correct, for instance how I shouldn't be celebrating christmas or birthdays etc. how the there is no God, on and on. It really used to bother me, but now I just let it go and reply with, everybody has the own beliefs and that is fine and we all have our choices, and that I respect theirs and would appreciate if they respected mine,.

Dreek Lass

Hi Dreek, nice to see you. In the past, I have had people say different negative things to me about what I believe. I let them have their say or sometimes not, then I would just let them know that each of us have their own right to believe as they will. We do not have to accept what the other says, and it is perfectly alright to agree to disagree. I do not try to persuade or change minds, you usually wind up wasting a lot of energy and time.
Hello Artistry :) Well I have actually just taken to letting it go these days, because it is clear that no matter what evidence or facts that you present these people with, they will not believe you simply because they do not want to believe you, or even open their mind to consider that there's something more out there. That's the frustrating part for me - the downright myopic nature of some of these people. Why not open your mind? A wise man knows that he knows absolutely nothing, but the world is filled with those who think they have mostly everything figured out and that that's it.

I have to say it really used to bother me whenever somebody would talk down to me telling me how my spiritual beliefs are not correct, for instance how I shouldn't be celebrating christmas or birthdays etc. how the there is no God, on and on. It really used to bother me, but now I just let it go and reply with, everybody has the own beliefs and that is fine and we all have our choices, and that I respect theirs and would appreciate if they respected mine,.
It sometimes really bothers me too, and it bothers me for the reasons I mentioned above. It's free to have an open mind and to consider all possibilities before shunning them. I just don't get why more people aren't opening their minds.

pafjlh

I have learned that when it comes to talking to someone, there are certain subjects you avoid all together. Spirituality, religion and politics. Why, because not only does everyone tend to have a different view, we can also be very passionate about that viewpoint. If this is with a friend, this can lead to an argument, I have seen it happen. Sometimes its not easy to stay clear of such subjects, but I try to just tell the person that this is something I don't wish to discuss with them. This works for the most part, and we change the subject. I have learned that no one is going to change my beliefs, and I won't change theirs so its kind of best not to even get into the subject to start with.

zararina

Coaching Member
I just ignore those nay sayers since usually they are the one who just believe what they want to believe and will just listen to words that they just want to listen. Words could only hurt if we allow it, I do not mind as long as they do not go below the belt. :D

Dreek Lass

I just ignore those nay sayers since usually they are the one who just believe what they want to believe and will just listen to words that they just want to listen. Words could only hurt if we allow it, I do not mind as long as they do not go below the belt. :D
IN my experience, the nay sayers are usually skeptics, or people who believe in science. They don't even stop to consider that spirituality is different from religion in so many different ways. They just hear the world 'God' and they immediately shut down on you, and begin to think of all these different theories as to why your God is not real, even when you don't intend God to be taken in the way that they have interpreted it.