How do you deal with an unethical person?

A

artistry

Being ethical is a good quality to possess, but if someone on the job is doing something that needs to be reported, it becomes a challenge as to whether one gets involved or not, uf you are a co-worker. If you are a manager, you must deal with it, if you become aware of it. I had to fire someone after they had been warned. Fortunately they quit before I had to let them go.

hollyholidaze

My father always told us kids "INTEGRITY is what you do when no one is looking." Ethics are SO important, and some people only practice situational integrity, like when they thing someone is watching them. This sort of inconsistent behavior will always out itself - you have to be ethical/use your moral compass all the time! Dealing with an unethical person at work is very difficult, but you have to be pragmatic and step up, especially if their behavior is affecting your work environment.

Sophia G

Many good points in this thread. Some of them refer to ethics and some to morals.

Ethics are rules about what is right and what is wrong and are external (true to society)

Morals are ideals or beliefs about what is right and what is wrong and are internal (true to yourself)

Can you be moral without being ethical or vice versa?

marlinealcott

I've never fully understood the difference. But as far as your definition, I'd say I live completely by my own morals and don't care about ethics at all. No one else is going to tell me what is right or wrong! So yes. I'd say you can be one without the other.

Forrester080

Everybody story has 2 sides and living in this life means that you have to accept it. All the biggest and famous brands in the world are unethical if you want me to say. Apple, Samsung are using cheap labors in China, opening mass production factories and wasting out some tons of hazardous toxics every hour. And all the restaurants, travel company, fashion brands, etc.

I'm just asking you can you stop using your phone, stop buying animal-fur products, stop dining out or stop traveling? Think about it.

live4it

Sometimes, friends on the job put us in a very unfair position. They tell us how they are cheating the boss or cheating others and we have no choice but to turn them into the authorities or keep silent for fear of getting them in trouble. It's not a fair thing, but it happens. It's good that you don't have to be associated with that situation anymore. Such a thing weighs heavily on the conscience.
I"ve actually been asked this question during interviews. I've always said that my job is not worth lieing for someone, no matter who it is. If someone was truely a friend or a family member I would expect them to not put me in that position. I've been asked what I would do if someone wanted me to write a false statement on a report. My answer to that was always that it's my name and reputation is on the line. The report will be written as I saw it.

live4it

The world is full of unethical people. I try to avoid them, unfortunately a lot the time you can't. Professionally, if it’s an unethical company I do my best to get a new job. If it’s just a person I still try to ignore them, but if they put me in a position where my ethics are threatened I will act accordingly to make unethical practices ethical. I believe that it is unethical to turn a blind eye to so I do my best to constructively make a situation better.

michellepinto

I think the best way is to report them. Put them in their place. That's the only way such people learn

iain twiddy

Some people make the mistake of thinking they can get away with being unethical. You may in the short run, but it will catch up to you, and when it does you'll be much worse off. Acting ethically is how we win in the long run, it's the proven long-term winning strategy. In my business we set customer service as the highest of priorities and will go above and beyond to help them even when it ends up costing us. The trust that is built up when we act in this way is invaluable. They love our service and products so they keep coming back to us years later and recommend us to their friends and family. Do the right thing consistently and people will notice, you will be rewarded.