How do you deal with an unethical person?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Good ethics make you behave and do the right thing, even when you know there is no one
around to make you choose the right path. Some people have good ethics, others don't.

Do you think it's important to be ethical on your job? Do you know of others on the same job who are not so ethical and are constantly undermining the company or stealing just cause they know they can get away with it?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
This is so important, I've stayed completely ethical throughout my career. It's not only just because of my core beliefs but because trust is so easy to lose. I had a boss who went over the line ethically after an incredible career climb, and got dismissed from his job when he got caught, despite years of great service and strong relationships. I've been in positions where I was directly involved in the investigation of employees and it constantly amazed me how people think they can get away with stuff, and that they lack the morals to do things like commit fraud.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
This is so important, I've stayed completely ethical throughout my career. It's not only just because of my core beliefs but because trust is so easy to lose. I had a boss who went over the line ethically after an incredible career climb, and got dismissed from his job when he got caught, despite years of great service and strong relationships. I've been in positions where I was directly involved in the investigation of employees and it constantly amazed me how people think they can get away with stuff, and that they lack the morals to do things like commit fraud.
I've seen many situations where an employer acted unscrupulously or unethically and the employees were just expected to suck it up and deal with it without complaining. And, it's never fair, maybe not even legal. But, what can you do in that kind of situation, when it's the boss?

speedy

Advisor Member
Ethics, also known as moral philosophy, is a branch of philosophy that addresses questions about morality—that is, concepts such as good and evil, right and wrong, virtue and vice, justice, etc. from wikipedia
Ethics is very important to both employer and employee. Without an ethic the respect will gone too. I agree that there are people who don't have an ethic at all. I absolutely agree that we need to be ethical with our job even the boss is not around. I believe on the saying that " What we sow is what we reap". Yes, I knew someone who once unethical and degrade his moral by doing something unethical. I can't stand the guilt that I knew of what he is doing, yet I stayed quiet. He defended himself with a reason of why he is doing such thing which is I believe his reason is not justifiable. I am glad that I left the job.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Ethics is very important to both employer and employee. Without an ethic the respect will gone too. I agree that there are people who don't have an ethic at all. I absolutely agree that we need to be ethical with our job even the boss is not around. I believe on the saying that " What we sow is what we reap". Yes, I knew someone who once unethical and degrade his moral by doing something unethical. I can't stand the guilt that I knew of what he is doing, yet I stayed quiet. He defended himself with a reason of why he is doing such thing which is I believe his reason is not justifiable. I am glad that I left the job.
Sometimes, friends on the job put us in a very unfair position. They tell us how they are cheating the boss or cheating others and we have no choice but to turn them into the authorities or keep silent for fear of getting them in trouble. It's not a fair thing, but it happens. It's good that you don't have to be associated with that situation anymore. Such a thing weighs heavily on the conscience.

speedy

Advisor Member
Sometimes, friends on the job put us in a very unfair position. They tell us how they are cheating the boss or cheating others and we have no choice but to turn them into the authorities or keep silent for fear of getting them in trouble. It's not a fair thing, but it happens. It's good that you don't have to be associated with that situation anymore. Such a thing weighs heavily on the conscience.
Yes, you are right. re: heavy for the conscience and there is no blessing for us as well who are keeping their wrong-doings. Yes, I am glad I am out from there. :)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Yes, you are right. re: heavy for the conscience and there is no blessing for us as well who are keeping their wrong-doings. Yes, I am glad I am out from there. :)
Forcing yourself to stay in that kind of situation, where you know about another person's corruption puts tremendous strain on the mind, cause you know what they're doing is not right as you said.

Also, when you stay and do nothing, you could get exposed as a collaborator cause you had knowledge of the event.

That would be worse, there could be more serious consequences.

Ethics on the job is a particularly important value to me! :mad:

I have had this experience of doing a group thesis and being grouped with 2 members who have poor work ethic. I hated every minute of it. They had no initiative at all, and they got credit for what I did. It was a horrible experience for me.

In the end, I couldn't report them to our head professor since few of my other members were friends with them. Sure, they hated their work ethics, too, but I believed that reporting them would just result to a negative atmosphere so I never did it.

It's important to be ethical, but sometimes survival is much more important than having ethics.
I'd find out why he was doing such things, and try to persuade him to do the right thing. Otherwise I'll just have to live with it because I don't really want a hostile working environment or a messed up relationship.

Unless of course he is being unethical to me, then I'd seriously reconsider dealing with him.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
It's important to be ethical, but sometimes survival is much more important than having ethics.
I'd find out why he was doing such things, and try to persuade him to do the right thing. Otherwise I'll just have to live with it because I don't really want a hostile working environment or a messed up relationship.

Unless of course he is being unethical to me, then I'd seriously reconsider dealing with him.
An interesting point. Though I'm sure it would help if the unethical person were not actually breaking the law but being ruthless or unscrupulous. Illegal activity might have to be reported to the police.

Good ethics make you behave and do the right thing, even when you know there is no one
around to make you choose the right path. Some people have good ethics, others don't.

Do you think it's important to be ethical on your job? Do you know of others on the same job who are not so ethical and are constantly undermining the company or stealing just cause they know they can get away with it?
That is just wrong. I've been working with management all my career life, and I just don't like it when people bend rules or undermine them. The rules are there for a reason. Besides, we are being paid by these companies so there's no reason to bite their hands off.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Of course, breaking the rules and stealing from the company is not the right thing to do. But, there are some people who will do it anyway cause they know they can convince others to be silent or at least bully them into not saying anything. It doesn't help if the unethical person is also the bosses favorite worker and not likely to get fired.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Good ethics like honesty, loyalty and persistence on the job are quite scarce these days and could be reflective of the symptoms of problems happening in the society in general. As a worker or employee, it is quite important that we have to practice the right ethics as expected of us.

In dealing with people who lack the ethics expected of them, we have to be firm and honestly tell them of the problem using adequate amount of diplomacy and tactfulness.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Good ethics like honesty, loyalty and persistence on the job are quite scarce these days and could be reflective of the symptoms of problems happening in the society in general. As a worker or employee, it is quite important that we have to practice the right ethics as expected of us.

In dealing with people who lack the ethics expected of them, we have to be firm and honestly tell them of the problem using adequate amount of diplomacy and tactfulness.
Most unethical people slide with their bad behavior cause there are just so many other people who could care less what they do or how they cheat the company. Even if a person is not unethical but tolerates that behavior, they are giving it the green light and implicitly saying it's OK to do, maybe cause in their own heart they think the company deserves being cheated.

Definitely, it is very important.
As with my experience, I met a lot of co-workers who don't follow rules and regulations in the company.
They even steal the sales! May the company forgive me but I chose not to tell the truth because I don't want to get into trouble. I just minded my own business.

zararina

Coaching Member
Yes i agree that being ethical is important at work. If their are co workers not being ethical, i will try to somehow tell him in the most nicest (sometimes make a joke at it) that what he was doing is unethical just like the example above which is stealing. If he does not listen, i do believe in karma so just let it haunt him.

nobody can survive being with you if you have an unethical behavior. You will not have a good working relationship with other employees.

Do not surround yourself with unethical people - avoid them at all costs.

I live by my own ethics and there are no set rules. I don't really have any particular standards I live by, everything is a situation-by-situation basis. I definitely don't follow rules just because they are rules. I've always been a rule-breaker by nature. So I guess whether or not I'm "ethical" depends on your ideas of ethics.

I would definitely not ever report anyone to the police. No matter what anyone does, that's their business as long as it doesn't involve me. Ratting someone out is definitely against my ethics, if I have any!

But like I said, it depends on the situation. If I had a job working for a small business where there were like three employees, and two of them were robbing the owner of the business blind, I might do something, at least if I liked the owner. If I were working for Wal Mart and saw fellow employees stealing I couldn't care less.

My best friend is a total shoplifter. She steals from stores all the time. I guess that could be considered "unethical" but it doesn't bother me. She's a really beautiful, cool person overall.

I have actually gone to my boss before when people crossed the lines too much.

I didn't think it was any of my business to begin with when it seemed like minor things (like stealing office supplies). It got way worse, though, and to the point of hurting the company with decisions that were being made, so I had to step up and, well, tell on them.