How do you become more aware of yourself?

Have you ever tried meditating? It may help you be above your compulsive reactions. Autopilot means that you want to always do something for the sake of doing something. Learn to just sit without doing nothing. Try to stay one day with no phone, no internet and see how you feel then. Or at least do something but do just one thing and not jump from one to the other all the time.

It is good that you are aware that you are on autopilot. The seed for going above this is there. You need to try harder and find out what works for you to become more aware of what you are thinking and doing and to be empowered to make the choice of not doing it. And to be able to do something else that is more important and more productive.

Thank you for your advice.

What you said makes a lot of sense,I will implement this strategy immediately.

I would highly suggest you start asking more questions about yourself, every single day. It may be helpful for you to keep a basic journal that you write in every morning and evening. These three questions may help you out: What did I learn today? What am I grateful for? Who did I help today?

denydritz

Coaching Member
How about trying to do or get involved in something new, that you've never tried before? Or are you trying new things and still feel like you're on autopilot?

Autopilot means that our brain doesn't absorb new information that requires attention. We eat the same foods, take the same routes, say the same words, do the same work, until our brain already develops a pattern. You can try to break the pattern by introducing something new, like eating a different food or taking a different route, or saying something different to your friends and co-workers.

An exercise I like to do is the Participant-Observer exercise. I learned this a few years ago, but still use it from time to time. If you want to become more aware of your self, try imagining looking at you doing what you're doing right now. You are the participant and the observer at once, and it is a practice to detach your self from what you're doing to see if you're doing it right or if it's necessary at all.

Cheers!