how Do I Stop Procrastinating? Tools or Advice?

antony73

I struggled with this for years... Years!

A few thoughts:

An apple a day... I had the belief that getting stuck in was the way to go. But no. How long does it take to eat an apple? Two minutes. I learned that even doing two minutes of something important each day, moves me along my path. Little an often helps so much. Just a few minutes each day of your most important tasks, really, really helps.

Finding out why we procrastinate is major important. The book, 'Conquer Fear,' Lisa Jimenez, is great for finding out the reason why we procrastinate. A amazing book. Google this book and give it a read. It 100% solved my procrastination problem. 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hubert Koh

Before the start of everyday, I will list down the things I need to do, set them in order of priority and get it done. I guess one needs to have a little fear of what if you dont keep to your scheduled work, ie you will fall behind, you will not be able to achieve your goals.

To some extent, some amount of fear is actually good for you.
Cheers

Barry K

Coaching Member
Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy. Wayne Gretzky
The reason we procrastinate is because we don't have a big enough WHY that stops us procrastinating. Find your "WHY" and things start rolling!

William Martinez

Advisor Member
The first thing to do is to catch yourself in the act! Once you catch yourself, acknowledge and say to yourself, " I'm procrastinating." Then I do a count down method. I refer to procrastination as the "monster"
5. I see the monster
4. The monster will not defeat me
3. Because I know now what I must do
2. I must get up!
1. NOW!!!
once you start moving, get back on track with your toughest priority, and just dive in!
Hope this helps:)
William

dholt333

Psychologically speaking, procrastinating can stem from fear of possible failure. If you find that this is the case, analyze this potential issue within yourself. What is causing this fear? I think it's important to recognize that this mere possibility of failure is minimal and even imaginary, in comparison to what you gain from just doing what you must do, and completing it in a timely manner. You'll be so much more relaxed once you get it out of the way! It helps me to set apart a block of time in a day for at least about an hour where I just power through everything on my to-do list with upbeat/motivational music playing in the background. Otherwise, I won't allow myself for relaxation time to watch the TV or something of that nature.

Bestselfology

These are my tips on how to prevent procrastination:

1) Consider what is stopping you achieving something immediately

If you think of a task that needs executing, your 1st thought should be, can I complete it now? If there is nothing stopping you doing it immediately, just take action and do it! Don't waste your time making a note of it, when you can actually just complete the task. Always make it your number one thought. What's stopping you?

2) Have the right tools with you

If you have your phone or laptop with you, this allows you to carry out tasks real time. You can quickly jump online and get the answer to something, or these days you can use your devices to do so much.

- if you've remembered it's someone's birthday you can access Moonpig and send them a card immediately

- if someone recommends a book to you and you are interested in reading it, you can download it to a kindle or a kindle app, then and there

- if you agree to go out and eat that night and you need to book a table, you can search for the number online and give them a call to book

- if you discuss a follow up meeting that needs to be set up, agree the date and send out the meeting invite at the time

3) Take the 1st step

If what you are trying to achieve is too big to complete in it's entirety immediately, is there a 1st step you can take? Often taking the first step will enable the rest of the process to be much easier to complete. Break down the task and see if you can at least make a start, which will build some momentum. It will seem much more easily achievable if you break it down into manageable chunks.

To form a habit of doing versus not doing (procrastination), start small. Baby steps can work if you keep taking them! Most important is the 1st step.
Evaluate what you are procrastinating about. If you really hate doing something, evaluate if you really have to do this. Is this something you can alter or change? For example, you are procrastinating about running. Perhaps you need to find a different way to get your exercise.
Try to accomplish your goals in ways you actually enjoy.
As for things you cannot alter; form that habit by doing things in small doses if possible. Set a timer and do the task for 15-30 min at a time.

Kezzielee

eat your frog :)

i learnt that at one job i worked at, the advice above is very valuable, and iv taken some mental notes here for myself as i suffer with this same problem. i find that i procrastinate when i am overwhelmed with the task at hand. so i break it down into bite size steps and then do the hardest one first which is what i call my frog.....eat the frog and everything else after that becomes a breeze :D