how Do I Stop Procrastinating? Tools or Advice?

chris9884

I am the biggest procrastinator. any tools or advice to help stop this horrible behavior?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I have a hard time with this too, especially if it's something I'd like to do but isn't really all that important, or has no timeline. Sometimes it helps if I put a post-it note reminder on the bathroom mirror, near where my face is. I can't help but keep seeing it there, and eventually it bugs me enough that I do the thing so I can get rid of the post-it note.

kathyjoyce

I find a good idea to stop procrastinating is to create a to do list for the day and tick each task off when complete. Only move on to the next when you've finished the previous task. You also need to know your long term goal and why it's important for you to achieve it. Before I started doing this my mind was all over the place. Another really good idea is to try 10 minutes of guided meditation each day, as it helps you to not only keep calm, but focused as well. Hope this helps Chris.

Danielki

Coaching Member
Achieving anything requires giving it some priority.

If the thing you want to get done isn't important why would you get it done?

You owe you

Focus on one thing that has value and importance. Procrastinators tend to do one of two things, wander off in different directions or mess around doing something that diverts their attention from something important they should be doing.

A friend of mine is a massive procrastinator; he's also deeply insecure, masked by arrogance and pride.

Procrastination is just a symptom, it's not the cause. Heal the wound and things will stop seeping out and infecting other areas of your life, it takes courage, it takes perseverance, but it's worth it. ;)

tomasoberg

You know you are one, thats the "tool" you need.

How do you solve it ? Be honest with yourself its the most important thing.

What iam procrastinating about ? is it my "goal" or "life mission" ? health?

I have no idea what your procrastinating about, but if you thought it was important you would take action.

It sounds like "Your values isn't align with your dreams/goal/"

Example, a "couch potato" who wants to get fit. Hes values are of a couch potato, so if he wants to get fit he needs to change hes values.

So instead being on this forum and apparently being the "biggest procrastinator" ever.

"To get yourself of the ground"
I would say; Stop lie to yourself. Get accountability partner you have to report to every single day otherwise you have to pay him/her 500$.

Start small, even if its 10 min a day , its a start.
If you like it, start feeling good about it and after youve done it, your priority will hopefully shift with your values.
Try it for 30 days, you have nothing to lose.
if its not working its not suppose to be then.

What do you do then ? be even more honest with yourself.

Danielki

Coaching Member
I heard a guy speak about a 5 minute rule once. His method was that he'd commit to do the minimum of 5 minutes of whatever he wanted to get done and just by doing 5 minutes that would keep his momentum going. It's harder to get something moving from a dry start than it is to get something moving faster that's already moving.

The guy I heard this from had the goal of getting up and exercising, he said what he found was that by getting up and putting his exercise clothing on he would often start working out and that would be for a lot longer than his 5 minute commitment, but some days he did no more than get up and put his clothes on, but by keeping the momentum going things became a lot easier.

We see this in lots of other areas of life, sales is one that springs to mind. The sales person will be looking for a small commitment that with lead to the chance of a bigger commitment.

A home improvement company offers you the chance to get a quote, you say yes and that is your small commitment, then the sales person comes to your house looking to sell you a product which is the larger commitment and you will be likely to say yes to the bigger commitment because you've already said yes to the smaller commitment.

allanrsm

Coaching Member
I am the biggest procrastinator. any tools or advice to help stop this horrible behavior?
Make a decision...this is the fundamental mindset that is needed to overcome procrastination.

When you make your decision take action where you are and with what you have! Overcoming procrastination is often doing the simple things and getting them done out, out of the way and clearing the path to better more productive accomplishments.

My suggestions are dedicate a set amount of time each day to specific priorities and key goal orientated tasks.
Write a list of your top five goal orientated tasks for teh day and get them done

simone

My advice is make a map with the your goals. Start from the more small that help you at go on the goals more big.
Every Day you make an action that there is on the map and once you finished, you put it a sign.
This will help you to go for arrive on the long term goal.

madkhaos

Coaching Member
Yes Chris, this can be a challenging commitment. To break the habit of putting things off to a later date opposed to just doing them right then and there.

We have created a free guide to help you stop procrastinating. You can get it from the link in my signature, but first let's hit on some key points.

1. You need to know what your root problem is that you're trying to avoid.
Determine the main thing you are trying to avoid and why.

2. What is your brain telling yourself you could be doing instead?
What pops into your mind when you think of doing this task, what is it that you want to do instead.

3. Imagine how it will make you feel after completing the task you been putting off.
Get that good feeling of accomplishment once you visualize completion of this task, and once you realize you don't have to no longer dread doing it.

4. What are the consequences of not completing this task?
How can this affect you and others by putting this task off, will it grow into something bigger and impact you in any way.

5. Think of the reward for completing the task.
Imagine the outcome once it's done, your stress will reduce now that you can put it behind you.

6. Get motivated, put your favorite playlist on and get your body and mind in motion.
Get your blood flowing and become motivated. Use music or exercising for 10+ minutes and let your body keep up its momentum.

7. Break the task down into smaller and more manageable tasks.
I know a huge task looks ugly and scary, but remember the longer you put it off the harder it becomes. So just start one piece at a time and keep working piece by piece.

8. Remove the distractions, yes the T.V. and Social Media got to go!
Block out anything that can take your mind away from your task at hand. You must remain focused until it is complete, eliminate the time gobblers and de-motivators.

9. Commit to one small task at a time until it's complete.
Do not start one task then stop mid-way and start another, this will only complicate things and waste valuable time. Focus on one thing and stay with it until it is finished.

Good luck Chris, we are here for you whether you need motivation or inspiration. Go get things done buddy! Don't wait any longer.

madkhaos

Coaching Member
Yes, I believe it was either Einstein or Franklin. That saying just stuck with me, because of how true it is.

Samantha

Break things down into smaller and smaller steps until they are doable. I know this may seem tedious, but sometimes the reason we procrastinate is not because of our personality but because in our mind the thought of having to actually do the task we're required to do is daunting. For example, if you needed to clean your office, it seems like a huge task but maybe make your goal for tomorrow just pulling out the supplies you'll need to clean your office - and expect nothing more from yourself. Sometimes that alone can motivate you to do just a little more.

IF that does not work for you, then break down what you need to do into a nano-task, something that you could get done in under a minute and continue to create these nano-tasks to accomplish whatever goal you're working toward until you start to gain momentum. It's changing your mindset, sort of re-set. The longer you procrastinate on something the more your subconscious associates that activity with something negative, so give it something positive to associate with it by making small successes toward your goal.

Mike T

You need to ask your self. Why did I procrastinate? is the task so overwhelming? don't know where to start? how important for me to finish the task? If you figured out the answer and you have the clarity you can have the reason to start your activity.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
I find it easier to get everything I need to do out of the way first. The more important a task is, the higher the priority you should give it. Cleaning my room takes a long time, so I sometimes spread out dusting certain parts over a few days. Today, I might dust my desk, tomorrow I might dust my doors.

Developonlinesuccess

Coaching Member
Lots of good ideas, but I find lists at the start of the day beneficial, its great to put a line through jobs done especially if they are boring! Know what you want out of life and strive for it, live with excitement and passion, find something to enjoy in everything you do, even if it is the satisfaction of a job finished and well done.