How do I stay cheerful on a rainy day?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
On a rainy day, I feel so blue, so glum and just want to stay in bed and not do anything.

I wish that I didn't feel this way. I guess other people feel this way.

Just wondering what you do on a rainy day when you feel depressed or less than your best.

radascars

Advisor Member
I also feel the same way, I feel so sad and blue when it rains.
To divert the feeling I tend to call my bestfriend or my girlfriend and have a good conversation with them, but when they're not available I watched movies, cook food and do a lot of things just to make my self busy, as it will make my mind not to think of sadness.

How about you? What do you do when you feel blue?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I like to stay in bed and just watch movies. I don't really like taking a day off to rest but maybe that's the best thing for those gloomy days when it's raining. A good conversation with a friend or loved one during those times is always a nice way to stay cheerful. Thanks for the advice.

iebo

Maybe spend some time with your kids, which will hopefully remind you of why you get up in the morning. I like to watch funny movies when I'm in a funk. Smiling helps people to feel good.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Maybe spend some time with your kids, which will hopefully remind you of why you get up in the morning. I like to watch funny movies when I'm in a funk. Smiling helps people to feel good.
I've heard that too about smiling. I think they did a scientific study about it proving that smiling can actually perk up someone's attitude and make them feel better. I read that years ago and didn't think about it again till you said that. Thanks for the reminder.

I love spending time with my daughter. She is a very sun-shiny individual. Very good suggestion.

speedy

Advisor Member
On a rainy day, I feel so blue, so glum and just want to stay in bed and not do anything.

I wish that I didn't feel this way. I guess other people feel this way.

Just wondering what you do on a rainy day when you feel depressed or less than your best.
I am always subject with that kind of feeling as well. I am easily get sad and depressed. What I came to that point of my life - I turned on my youtube and listen to some Christian and gospel songs, then, cried out loud to the Lord...hehe..Then, I bookmarked clippings on youtube like funny videos, laughing baby, and any related movies, I watch those videos when I am sad.......Afterwards, I feel relieved. Also, I play with my nephews and nieces, talk to my husband and if it is really too much, I go to sleep.....:)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Seeking wise counsel is always a good idea. Watching funny videos helps too. Last night it rained so hard, I thought our roof would blow off cause of all the turbulent wind and weather and then again tonight we had more of the same. Not sure where all the crazy weather is coming from. Global warming, maybe? Anyway, it's giving me a headache and making me feel like I need to lay down. Maybe that's just the body's way of trying to discourage us from going out in the cold rain and getting sick. It would make sense if there were a biological reason for being gloomy on rainy days, if only so we would stay indoors and nest more.

radascars

Advisor Member
Seeking wise counsel is always a good idea. Watching funny videos helps too. Last night it rained so hard, I thought our roof would blow off cause of all the turbulent wind and weather and then again tonight we had more of the same. Not sure where all the crazy weather is coming from. Global warming, maybe? Anyway, it's giving me a headache and making me feel like I need to lay down. Maybe that's just the body's way of trying to discourage us from going out in the cold rain and getting sick. It would make sense if there were a biological reason for being gloomy on rainy days, if only so we would stay indoors and nest more.
Don't you have any bad memories before about rainy days? Possibly it could be a reason why you feel that way, try to recall it and then if ever there is a bad memory try to overcome those anxiety and there's a chance that you can stay happy and cheerful in rainy days. :)

clauemi

I love rainy days so I am very happy and just enjoy it. I am more likely to be sad on a hot and humid day. Anything to cool down and make my kids happy, maybe go to a water park, eat popsicles all day long, cookout, lake etc...

zararina

Coaching Member
When i was little, i used to play outside with friends while raining (not too long so that we will not be sick).
And until now, i sometimes shower under the rain just in front of the house inside the gate. It was refreshing
and enjoyable. And after that, i will eat hot meals or drink hot chocolate. :D

AmazingP

Advisor Member
How you view the rain is the one that could make you gloomy and lazy. We have to change our perceptions of the rain. Do you know that rain is very important because it is bringing the water we need. Without regular rains, plants from where we got the foods we eat will wither and even the very supply of water we drink will have a big problem. Rain is all about life. Water is life. This is an important part of the cycle of natural blessings we should thank for. So there is no point for us to think rain as something bordering as negative. In African nations where people are used to long droughts, rain is a big cause for celebrations -- these people know the importance of the rain more than us who might be taking this natural phenomenon for granted.

diamondlisa

The best suggestion I can give you to get rid of those rainy day blues is to run outside and play in it. If that doesn't work, try singing out as loud as you can while splashing in the puddles. I guarantee your day will be filled with laughter afterwards.

sepia_majesty

I love rain! As long as it's not too damaging, rain and storms are welcome by me. I love the sound of water. It makes me sleepy and relaxed. :) Try listening to soft music, watching a good movie, or reading a book on those rainy days.

The only thing that makes them unenjoyable is getting up to go to work on those rainy mornings. It makes everyone sluggish and tired.

A

artistry

You have to be able to find a ray of sunshine mentally. By concentrating on something that makes you happy, you will hopefully stop thinking about the rain. Also the earth needs the rain, as long as it is not torrents of rain, it is needed to grow things. So try to think about the benefits of the rain.
Finding some kind of project to do, would help to lift your spirit, put some things together, to construct a scrap book and keep them somewhere, for the next time it rains and work on that. If you enjoy writing, keep a tablet close by, for your rainy day writing. Taking up water color painting, could be a new hobby for the rainy days. You need a deversion, which takes your mind off the grayness and the rain. Find a place for yourself on a creative basis, so that the rain will not get you down. Good luck.