How do I get rid of negative thoughts that make me feel like giving up?

Cecil Estrera

Believe in yourself and focus on your goals, I think that's the best thing you can do.
If you really aim for the gold, go for it. :)

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Letting negative thoughts affect the goals we would like to achieve is akin to procrastination -- they both will make us regret at the end because we are sure if we overcame those obstacles we could have been more successful. However, we could never bury our head in the sand and refuse to recognize that negativity do exist and its pull can indeed be staggering at times. One of the thing we have to understand is that this is all about thoughts -- mental products which even if they are not tangible still have the power to make us freeze. It is a battle in the mind and since it is the mind that is the hub of the body it can immobilize people. Whenever I have negative thoughts I refocus my mind to those things I would like to achieve. It helps to stop for some minutes and try to talk to yourself and appraise the situation. Scold yourself if it is needed -- just don't use a stick to hurt yourself.

Pretty much everybody experiences negative thoughts from time to time, and it's completely normal be frustrated by them.

That being said, the one thing I feel most people overlook, is why we have negative thoughts. Oddly enough, negative thoughts and in fact all human actions typically serve a purpose. In the case of negative thoughts, more often than not that purpose is self defense.

From your description it sounds like you have these thoughts when you are incredibly overwhelmed, tired, and at your wit's end with whatever project you are on. This is just conjecture, and I encourage you to tell me if it sounds right or wrong, but I'd guess that these negative thoughts you experience are an attempt to protect you from completely burning yourself out and destroying yourself from overworking yourself and overly frustrating yourself.

This all being said, it might be worth looking at why you work yourself so hard, and more specifically what are you afraid of if you allow yourself to take a break, recover, and/or occasionally pace yourself.

clauemi

I think if it were not for my kids I would have major depression. Would probably be sitting on the couch all day with no life and no plans for the future. At least my kids demand my attention and make me plan for the future. Sometimes when I am feeling down I wait it out till my kids go to sleep and then have a good cry so I don't hold it in. Other times I just clean every single thing in my house until I can't clean anymore, when I am feeling angry or frustrated.

francrislee

PRAY! Nothing beats the power of prayer.

After pushing yourself too hard to the big project you're into, it deem that you're already burned out. You have to relax for a while, I suggest that you measure your limitations and know what things to prioritize. After doing that, [ray and thank God for the project and lastly ask for guidance while you accomplish your project. :)

Krystle A.

Just recently, I've been working on a really big project in my spare time and sometimes, when I get very tired, I have negative thoughts about the project and feel like giving up. I don't want to give up, but I don't know how to push past these negative thoughts. Negative thoughts have sabotaged many other projects in my life. I feel like they are stopping me from achieving my full potential.

How do you handle negative thoughts that make you feel discouraged like there is no reason to continue on your current path, or make you feel like giving up on a project?
From what I have learned form my experience, it really helps to keep reading self-help/motivational/inspirational books or audio programs to help you LEARN how to control those negative thoughts, because like others said on this discussion, everyone has them, we just have to control them or not listen to them. Also what I found that keeps me going is having a supportive loved one/or a mentor whose done already what you are trying to do cheering and supporting you along the way.That is SOOO important! And another thing, helping others stay positive keeps you positive. I write about all that I am learning on my self-development journey on my blog www.whatislove247.blogspot.com. Maybe check it out and it could be of some service to you. Hope this helps. :)

Empangop

Just recently, I've been working on a really big project in my spare time and sometimes, when I get very tired, I have negative thoughts about the project and feel like giving up. I don't want to give up, but I don't know how to push past these negative thoughts. Negative thoughts have sabotaged many other projects in my life. I feel like they are stopping me from achieving my full potential.

How do you handle negative thoughts that make you feel discouraged like there is no reason to continue on your current path, or make you feel like giving up on a project?
I think, you must first have a clear objective for proposing and making a project. Doing it just for the sake of nothing doesn't give one much motivation towards the end. If you think that your project is important to you or to others, I don't see the reason why you would easily giving up. Useless project is of course not worth your energy spent on it. Useless project always faced with negative thought towards the end. Maybe it is worth to be given up and do other project that is more beneficial.

A

artistry

If you think about it, when we enter this world we are fighting. We fight to leave the warmth of our mother's body. when time dictates we need to leave. There we are, now we must breathe, so someone slaps us on the butt and we scream for dear life, taking in air and exhaling, as we enter a new phase of living. From there we go on, fighting to walk, to speak , put words together to make sense, as we communicate with others. So life is a fight, you enjoy what you are doing, but it gets tiring, trying to get to the completion of the project. So it is a fight, visualize the project, as it will be when it is finished. Compliment yourself , on the progress you have made already. Tell yourself you are doing a great job. Be happy about the work you have done. Take a break, completely away from the project. So that when you return, you will see it with new eyes and have renewed vigor to finish the job. Write yourself positive notes and put them in different places, read them when you need a lift. Remember, you have to fight, even it is with yourself. Good luck.

mslicia

Each day I face those same negative thoughts that others may face. I think it's a combination of things, spirituality, physical, mental and emotional aspects that have to be on one accord. In my opinion, you have to connect to something greater than yourself in order to fight those negative thoughts. In my experience, I listen to CD's from preachers or motivational speakers who talk about thinking the right thoughts and saying the right positive words. I play them in the morning at home, during car rides, or just when I'm taking a bath. You have to realize these thoughts have to be ingrained in your mind and in your heart. The key is you have to totally believe in what you are doing. Trust me this truly works and I hope you will do the same. God Bless!

WitchyWoman

How do I win the battle with the negative thoughts when they try to take over my mind? Meditation is how I keep my spirit surrounded by positive energy. I do my best to keep my mind full of positive thoughts as well. I always make sure I get plenty of rest. I also keep myself on a daily routine and allow myself a certain amount of time for what I plan on doing. I only work on a project if it is something I enjoy or interest me. This prevents my mind and body form becoming exhausted and burnt out. Something else you can do is write down the negative though you had, then figure out a solution to turn that negative into a positive, also write this down. Then once you accomplish it reward yourself for turning that negative into a positive. I do hope this offers you some helpful hints to try.

Mon-Jes

Like Heart's Journey Coaching said, everyone has thoughts like this. Sometimes it's just out of frustration, and other times it can be that part of your brain (I say "your" but everyone has this part of the brain) that doesn't want to move forward and is nice and comfortable where it is, even if the current "where" stinks.

Mine rears its ugly little invisible head a lot; I've named it Lizard Brain. Zinging thoughts back toward it like, "Nice try, Lizard Brain" can often snap me out of the depression it tries to cause.

That's easier said than done a lot of the time, and I'm not perfect (yet, Lizard Brain--ha!), but it's gotten better over the past few years.

Jack-Foley

Do you control your thought or do they control you..?

you must control your thinking, if you let them take over..., you will give up... and thats sad..

you have a battle going on between your desires and fears...

Look up Guy Finley's stuff, he has good stuff in this area

amy005

I think of the end result. The reasons why this project is important to me and what I will accomplish when I have finished. Like if I will be getting paid to do this project I think of how much I need the money and how it will better my life.

Eldon Brown

Good evening. Negative thoughts are natural for all people. The human mind is a wonderful, yet wondering element. Our minds tend to travel places that we don't want it to travel at times. Even when the body is at rest, our minds are continuously working. This is why self discipline is such an important aspect in our lives. Developing self discipline will rid you of those feelings of giving up. Here is what I would suggest if asked; whenever you feel like giving up on a project, stop what you are doing and walk to a mirror and ask yourself: "why is this project so important to me?" but when you look in the mirror try to look past the surface, and search your soul...All the answers that you seek truly lies within you.

Ergo, I also want you to keep in mind that you only get these negative thoughts when you "get very tired," which implies that the thoughts are do to a lack of rest...? Develop the discipline of time management, and work on your project when you're well rested and see if your thought pattern changes. There are times when I get fustrated and want to give up on my projects, when I start feeling like that I turn on the telivision to watch the news; and seeing the morbid despair displayed before me reinforces my need to make a change in the lives of others. Whatever you're working on, possesses an element of need. Rather that need is for a personal growth, or financail stability stay focsed on it and you will succeed!

Danny Oberron

Agreed, negative thoughts are normal although it sounds like a structure issue to me. We all have finite energy so plan your day. I make sure I get plenty of rest and ensure other problems are not on my mind as they can be very taxing. I tend to ensure I stick to 6-8 hours of productive work a day and use the 80:20 rule to focus on what's important so that I don't waste my precious energy. Food, rest and enjoyment is important so that I can keep working day-in and day-out with little degradation in performance.

jokedoctor

Sometimes the feelings of being overwhelmed are more mechanical than they are spiritual. I write scripts and sometimes the burden is so tedious I wonder if it's worth continuing. But if I break the greater task down into smaller sections, accomplishing the smaller "beats" is not so arduous.

Here's a trick I use: I never completely finish the task at the end of the day. That way when I start the next day, I know I am finishing up. By the time I finish that task the next day, my creative juices are flowing to keep me moving on to the next task toward the greater project.

Hope that helps...
...the science behind the art...
http://www.standupcomedyclinic.com

Dr.MDPhD

Advisor Member
exercise & sleep are key. Next, make sure you are in a positive environment. After this, the negative thoughts you have, ask yourself why you have them & find resolution.

John Sharpe

I also agree that chunking your day is very important to making progess. The night before prepare a list of the most important tasks you need to complete in order to move forward are. Then the next day devote around 30 minutes where you will work on single task and nothing else. Take a short break and move around for about 5 minutes and then complete another task. Every 4 x 30 minute blocks take a longer break. As you complete a task cross it off your list.

One of the most important things here is that you only concentrate on one single task for that 30 minute period.When you see at the end of the day that you are making solid progress you will feel better about what you are doing, and you really will get more done!

That is the more practical side of achieving your goals but also important is the mindset element. You need to think carefully about why you want to achieve your end goal, what it will bring to your life when you achieve it.

I think the daily practice of visualisation is a good way to keep your mind focused on your outcome.

Francisco Archilla

I generally read a good book or listen to some good music and call my friends. Sometimes instead of facing problems it is best to walk away from them for a short time. This is what is needed sometimes. For example, I use to be a smoker and that was all that I could think about from morning till bedtime, my next fix. I decided to quit and I did. The moment I started to think of cigarettes I got up and did something, just anything, as time went by the gaps got larger and I am freed from the addiction. This was 10 years ago. A little change goes a long way sometimes so maybe it will work for you. Take a break from your project and you will notice a positive change.