How do I get rid of negative thoughts that make me feel like giving up?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Just recently, I've been working on a really big project in my spare time and sometimes, when I get very tired, I have negative thoughts about the project and feel like giving up. I don't want to give up, but I don't know how to push past these negative thoughts. Negative thoughts have sabotaged many other projects in my life. I feel like they are stopping me from achieving my full potential.

How do you handle negative thoughts that make you feel discouraged like there is no reason to continue on your current path, or make you feel like giving up on a project?

bright_light

You might already be pushing yourself too hard. The negative thoughts you have at the moment come from an exhausted mind and body. We are not super beings. We have our own limitations. Giving up something doesn't mean you're going to lose everything. Other projects will come again. Slow down. Relax. Get a soothing massage.

mslianne

Hello there! :) Having negative thoughts is normal. Oftentimes, we think that way whenever we feel tired or frustrated. And it's really hard to get rid of it especially when it's stuck in our head. Our mind can only feed on one thought for an amount of time, so feeding it with negativity is not a good idea at all.

What I do is I meditate. Why is it so important for me to keep doing this? Is it worth it?
And then I weigh my options - to continue or not.
If I choose to continue it, then I do so, while thinking of the achievements that I'll be able to get. Feeding your brain with positive energy is a good thing whenever you make it a habit. ;)
Remember: think with the end in mind! :D

iebo

You could try to use affirmations, which are positive statements you repeat over and over. Focusing your affirmations on your objectives should help your mind focus on its goal, and avoid the distractions of negative thoughts. Also, studies have shown that smiling actually makes people feel better.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Hello there! :) Having negative thoughts is normal. Oftentimes, we think that way whenever we feel tired or frustrated. And it's really hard to get rid of it especially when it's stuck in our head. Our mind can only feed on one thought for an amount of time, so feeding it with negativity is not a good idea at all.

What I do is I meditate. Why is it so important for me to keep doing this? Is it worth it?
And then I weigh my options - to continue or not.
If I choose to continue it, then I do so, while thinking of the achievements that I'll be able to get. Feeding your brain with positive energy is a good thing whenever you make it a habit. ;)
Remember: think with the end in mind! :D
Thank you for the wonderful dose of courage. And, I could really use your enthusiasm this morning when things have not been going so well. I am bootstrapping myself up and carrying my load for the day, but it's not easy. So much to do, half the day already gone and it feels like I could go back to sleep. I can't do that, cause there's just so much to do and no time to rest. I will try to take your advice and keep the end goal in mind. Very good food for thought. :)

Caroline

I would be interested in knowing what your work routine is like, how you plan your day and how you plan the project work. Break the project into very small chunks, things you can plan on an hourly basis. Take breaks every hour and reward yourself. I use a timer and work in 50 minute segments and then take a 5-10 minute break during which I get up and move around. If I am working the entire day, I take a longer break after 3 hours and go for a walk or something. I do not touch email or anything else until the first work hour is completed -- this gives me a feeling that I have accomplished something and often encourages me to continue working. By taking breaks your mind will get refreshed and put things into perspective. If possible, get some help with the project or at least an accountability partner you can check in with to celebrate progress and discuss problem areas.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I would be interested in knowing what your work routine is like, how you plan your day and how you plan the project work. Break the project into very small chunks, things you can plan on an hourly basis. Take breaks every hour and reward yourself. I use a timer and work in 50 minute segments and then take a 5-10 minute break during which I get up and move around. If I am working the entire day, I take a longer break after 3 hours and go for a walk or something. I do not touch email or anything else until the first work hour is completed -- this gives me a feeling that I have accomplished something and often encourages me to continue working. By taking breaks your mind will get refreshed and put things into perspective. If possible, get some help with the project or at least an accountability partner you can check in with to celebrate progress and discuss problem areas.
Looking at your suggestions, I can see my many failings on time management. When I'm under stress, like now to get a project done, I NEVER stop, not even to get food. I don't take breaks, not even a tiny one cause that means time away when I should be working. There were some times this past week when I have almost fainted of exhaustion and lack of food. I work in front of the computer all day on my projects and by the end of the day my eyes are so bleary I can't even see.

I have spoken with my spouse about this situation just yesterday and he has offered to prepare lunch and dinner as he can when he's home, especially on weekends that will let me work online and still have a chance to be nourished. Just awhile ago, I was able to take a break and have lunch with him and when I sat back down, one of my biggest issues had actually resolved itself. The time away from the computer and my project was like soothing balm for a weary soul. My spouse is helping out with our daughter to keep her entertained so that I can continue to work or take a break. He has started encouraging me to take a break as needed.

Your advice has been very valuable and I plan to implement as many of your ideas as possible.

speedy

Advisor Member
Just recently, I've been working on a really big project in my spare time and sometimes, when I get very tired, I have negative thoughts about the project and feel like giving up. I don't want to give up, but I don't know how to push past these negative thoughts. Negative thoughts have sabotaged many other projects in my life. I feel like they are stopping me from achieving my full potential.

How do you handle negative thoughts that make you feel discouraged like there is no reason to continue on your current path, or make you feel like giving up on a project?
Sometimes, if we are exhausted and tired it is easy for us to think negatively and jump into a conclusion that we can't do it, that we failed, etc. You need to have some rest or do something that will refresh your mind. If your body said, that you are then we need to relax. Have fun with your family for a while. Everything gets harder if we are pushing ourselves to do it. Relax and rest, afterwards you can find again that excitement with new ideas and enthusiasm to proceed your project. :) God bless you.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Sometimes, if we are exhausted and tired it is easy for us to think negatively and jump into a conclusion that we can't do it, that we failed, etc. You need to have some rest or do something that will refresh your mind. If your body said, that you are then we need to relax. Have fun with your family for a while. Everything gets harder if we are pushing ourselves to do it. Relax and rest, afterwards you can find again that excitement with new ideas and enthusiasm to proceed your project. :) God bless you.
Your words are so meaningful to me. You've said just what I needed to hear. I don't why I push myself, maybe over money worries. But, I can't cure all the ills of the world in one day. Thank you for your kind advice. I will make a very good effort to spend an entire day with my family this week. Time is fleeting. Children grow up so fast. I don't want to miss a special moment. Thanks again. God bless you too. :)

beingwell

Well, one thing to get you going is to look back at the reason why you started your project in the first place. Get an inspiration and use it motivate you to go and finish your project. Good luck and I do hope your project would be a success!

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Well, one thing to get you going is to look back at the reason why you started your project in the first place. Get an inspiration and use it motivate you to go and finish your project. Good luck and I do hope your project would be a success!
Thank you for saying so. What a difference a few days can make. Since posting this discussion Saturday night, I have been able to draw strength from everyone's comments and encouragement and push through the block that was stopping me from moving forward. My big project was my forum which had been in beta testing for awhile. Now it's open and fully functional. On Saturday I was still struggling to get my site theme looking right, but now that it's up, it looks really good. I love the red color. Can't wait till everyone gets a chance to see the new forum.

beingwell

Thank you for saying so. What a difference a few days can make. Since posting this discussion Saturday night, I have been able to draw strength from everyone's comments and encouragement and push through the block that was stopping me from moving forward. My big project was my forum which had been in beta testing for awhile. Now it's open and fully functional. On Saturday I was still struggling to get my site theme looking right, but now that it's up, it looks really good. I love the red color. Can't wait till everyone gets a chance to see the new forum.
That's nice! I'd be happy to visit your forum, MMM! Good job!:D

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
That's nice! I'd be happy to visit your forum, MMM! Good job!:D
You are more than welcome to drop by my forum anytime so we can talk some more. Do you have the link? I've enjoyed reading all your posts and comments here and think you would add real valuable insight to my forum.

As for feeling discouraged, like I want to give up, that happens to me a lot when I'm tired and overworked and don't look after my physical needs for sleeping and eating and taking a rest to refresh myself. Those things can be easily cured with some time off work. The real key for me is making sure that I take care of my physical self (sleeping, eating, etc) even as I nourish my creative self.

radascars

Advisor Member
Honestly, I don't know what I do whenever I am frustrated and feeling of giving up.
I just tried to be motivated as possible, I always think of what will happen when I give up knowing that I started it already.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Honestly, I don't know what I do whenever I am frustrated and feeling of giving up.
I just tried to be motivated as possible, I always think of what will happen when I give up knowing that I started it already.
When I'm really tired, like now, it's hard to keep the end goal in sight. When I first start out on a project, there's an abundance of energy available and then within a few days of not eating or sleeping properly, all my reserves are gone. I just need to take some time off from working full time on the project and be at peace with my surroundings. All these things will fall into place in time, I have no doubt. Why am I so busy rushing?

radascars

Advisor Member
When I'm really tired, like now, it's hard to keep the end goal in sight. When I first start out on a project, there's an abundance of energy available and then within a few days of not eating or sleeping properly, all my reserves are gone. I just need to take some time off from working full time on the project and be at peace with my surroundings. All these things will fall into place in time, I have no doubt. Why am I so busy rushing?
You have to rest sometimes, It really helps you to think more wisely and work more efficiently. Why don't you try taking a break everytime you lose that energy, I know time will be compromise if you do that but that's the best thing you can do.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
You have to rest sometimes, It really helps you to think more wisely and work more efficiently. Why don't you try taking a break everytime you lose that energy, I know time will be compromise if you do that but that's the best thing you can do.
Work smart, not hard! Very good advice. And, I couldn't have said it better. In the animal kingdom, every ounce of energy put out by the animal for hunting must pay off, cause too many failed tries will mean certain death from starvation. I just need to organize myself and get more efficient.

bright_light

Mind fatigue carries with it physical fatigue. I experience this when I write articles in between other mental tasks, and try to beat the deadlines. Although I just sit there in front of the computer all day with just my fingers practically doing the physical work, I end up having a below zero energy level.

Well, that's life. We have to work hard in order to make ends meet or more than that. However, it is very important to have at least a day to cheer up ourselves- a very relaxing day. It saves my sanity.

radascars

Advisor Member
Work smart, not hard! Very good advice. And, I couldn't have said it better. In the animal kingdom, every ounce of energy put out by the animal for hunting must pay off, cause too many failed tries will mean certain death from starvation. I just need to organize myself and get more efficient.
Well base from what I see you can really can adjust in every situation and find your self very positive towards things. God bless always. :)

Mind fatigue carries with it physical fatigue. I experience this when I write articles in between other mental tasks, and try to beat the deadlines. Although I just sit there in front of the computer all day with just my fingers practically doing the physical work, I end up having a below zero energy level.

Well, that's life. We have to work hard in order to make ends meet or more than that. However, it is very important to have at least a day to cheer up ourselves- a very relaxing day. It saves my sanity.
Wow you really are working hard, yes I know the feeling I am sometimes end up with multiple articles that I need to finish to meet the deadline and I find my self very mentally fatigue.

zararina

Coaching Member
A long quote i think would fit this thread: :D
If you never try or give up too soon, you will never know what you will be missing.
Do not give up when you are tired or loosing hope, it was just part of trying.
Stop when you're done or give up when you feel ready not be happy.