How did you handle losing your first love?

MiszMariee

For the first few months after the break up, how I dealt with losing my first love was to stay as busy as possible and bury my feelings as far down as they could go. Two to three years later, I realized that that decision was the biggest mistake of my life because never confronting your feelings just makes them build up, not necessarily go away. To this day, of course I will always have a place in my heart for my first love and whenever he does come to mind I no longer run. I face my emotions and have realized that admitting something and then making an effort to deal with it, helps me move past things a lot quicker than burying it all way down deep.

So how did you handle losing your first love? Or any love for that matter?

Cecil Estrera

I remember that my first love was 8 years older than me.
And it was a long distance relationship. I held on to it as long as I could, since it's very difficult to make it last when you're always not together. But everything has its own ending, and I believe that ours is a sad one.
I broke up with him because I can see to him that I am not one of his priorities in life and that I have to move on without him 'cause he was too much busy with all in his life.
He tried to make up with me after that, but upon seeing him after so many months, I cannot remember the feeling of love anymore. So, I made up my mind not to be a relationship with him anymore.
At first, I admit that I felt sad then but I was able to cope up pretty soon after that.
Maybe because I was busy with my work and studies then that I don't have time to think about him anymore.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I was devastated, it only lasted a few months and turned such happiness to such depression. I wasn't able to let go for awhile, trying to see her again without success and thinking about it constantly. I guess in time it just faded but it's still a very strong memory. Much later there was a girl at work that looked very much like her (but wasn't her) and was really difficult to act normally around her, as she would bring back strong memories but was inappropriate to explain.

diamondlisa

It was the worse pain I ever felt. I went through times of feeling sad, angry, and even trying to tell myself that he was a bad person anyway. I tried dating to replace him and it didn't work out very well at all. I then decided that I just has to except things and move on. I realized that the last thing I wanted from anyone guy was for me to not care for me like I do him.

iebo

The best way to get over your first love is to get a second love. They might seem super special, but the reality is that there are lots of people out there that you are compatible with. Once you realize this, you'll be okay.

amy005

I actually lost my first love in more ways then one. My first real boyfriend had not only broke up with me, but a few months later he had passed away during a skiing accident. It was really hard for a really long time. It is hard enough losing your first love during a break up. But when you know that they are no longer around at all and cannot even IM them to see how they are doing and make small talk then it truly hurts. I would have liked to think we were still friends and I would have been able to still at least communicate with him. The only real way I handled this was thinking of all our good memories and instead of being sad when I thought of him I was happy. I also had to go through therapy but that is a different story! Another way I guess I dealt with the loss was being involved in as many activities as I could.

radascars

Advisor Member
I remember I was just 10 or 11 years old when I experience my first love but its unfortunate that we didn't go as I wanted our relationship to be. We became good friends that time and I know that we really like each other but there was this guy who courted her before me and I was like disappointed due to the fact that he's more handsome good looking guy than me. We just stayed friends until we graduated in our grade school. I just lose her the time we graduated and never really contacted each other that time. :D

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Talking about love life, I think most people lost their first love. There are so many factors leading to this and first and foremost of course if the young age and some level of immaturity. Usually, it takes some time for a person to totally forget the very first person who made their heart beat. And this is just natural. The pain of losing will always be there and so does the beautiful memories the companionship produce. Facing the reality of losing is one way to deal with this pain so that we all can move on with our lives. Rather than deny the reality, we have to face it and accept it as part of living and look forward for the day when we could find a person right suited for us.

JustUsJones

I handled it fine, since I dumped HIM! LOL he would probably disagree with the "handled it fien" part fo that, but still...:p

Susan