How could you be a better parent?

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
When I'm with my kids, I tend to perceive the world as they see it.

Victoria Blanco

I don't know if this is the same for anyone else, but I realize that when I'm stressed out or not doing well, I often find myself talking it out on my kids, and to be honest my husband. I think the best thing that I can do to become a better parent is to be more conscious of my feelings and not allow them to dictate my interaction with my children. I have a 4 month old little boy and a 2.5 year old girl . . and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world! Is this true for anyone else?

Victoria Blanco

The keys to great parenting are doing the best you can for your children, balancing being firm enough without being excessively strict and picking the right times to say no.
In your experience, what are the right times to say no? Also when it isn't the right time to say no, what do you say instead?

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
In your experience, what are the right times to say no? Also when it isn't the right time to say no, what do you say instead?
You mainly have to learn for yourself when to say no. What I can tell you is that you must not always give your kids money or let them have their way. Use discretion in giving an explanation or just saying "because I said so".

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
You mainly have to learn for yourself when to say no. What I can tell you is that you must not always give your kids money or let them have their way. Use discretion in giving an explanation or just saying "because I said so".
I agree with Todd. Kids, even the cutest ones, need to learn about boundaries and their limits.

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
Making sure you are working on developing yourself and putting yourself in a great place goes a long way. I have been working hard on improving my health and wellness over the past 2 years and I feel I have become a better husband and father for it. My 11 year old has seen considerable change in my attitude and my energy levels, he has picked up a many of the good dietary habits I am engaging in. In some ways I feel bad for my oldest son as he had many years of a father out of shape mentally and physically where my youngest son who is 5 only really knows me over the development stage. All in all I am in a better place now for my family now I am taking great care of myself.

Sharon

I like to ask my kids, 17, 13 and 13 - how am I doing as a mum?
What do you like and dislike about me being a mum?
It really is a great insight to see it from their point of view.
Of course at the end of the day I am still the parent but if anything
is ticking them off then I would rather know about it than it bother them for lengths of time.
This method works a treat!!!