How could you be a better parent?

Jessi

^ The title says it all. How could you be a better parent?

Have you been slacking lately and not spending much one-on-one time with your kids? Have you been saying "no" way more often than you say "yes, let's do that!"? Are you maybe making mac and cheese for dinner a little too frequently?

Think about your parenting style lately and share which areas could use a boost.

ayedsena

Sometimes I get caught up in just life in general, I am home with my 2 year old all day and my 12 year old is in school. I think I need to spend less time on the internet, with that said I need to get off of here and start supper. lol

Melody

I think that there is always room for one to improve myself especially. I am a good mother to my kids they are clean they get fed wear the nice close and all but one thing I am guilty of is yelling a lot I have 3 children oldest is 7 years old and the youngest is 2 years old the middle child is 3 years old. They are all girl, so having two such close in age I do get stressed out and aggrivated very easily. I think that I could do more things with them like taking walks or going to the park or something of that nature wich could give us the time together to bond and also will help me out and tire them out some.:)

amy005

My child is still really young, 6 months old. I spent each and every day with him 24/7 so I feel I am doing pretty good as far as that goes. The one thing I could improve in would probably be to play with him a little more often. I try to stimulate him quite often but sometimes do not think it is enough.

UmiNoor

Only two of my children are living with me now. One is 19 and the other is going to be 10 next month. I think I've been a good parent to my children but I wish I could do more. I'm always learning how to be a good parent. I've learned that yelling and screaming at children make no sense at all. And if one needs to talk to a child, use as little words as possible lest they label you a nag. And listen to what they have to say. It's important to listen to them if you want them to listen to you. I need to learn to listen more and talk less.

zoeysmama2011

I am a young parent, and I know that I am lacking in many areas. One thing that I could definitely improve upon, is my patience. I often have to remind myself that my daughter is unable to communicate with me, so she may cry or doing things that seem not so nice, but are actually her way of communicating. As a parent, I could also stand to pay more attention to my daughter.. I concentrate so much on getting things done throughout the day, and working, that by the end of the day, I only get to read her a book and put her to bed. Finally, the biggest thing I'm currently working on, is my anger. Not towards, her but being an example for her. I don't want her to grow up seeing my temperament, and becoming the way I am. I know my daughter watches everything I do and say even though she is only 1 year old. I would like to develop into a more calm and level-headed person, so that my daughter doesn't grow up thinking anger or violence is the way to solve her problems.

rose banks

Each of us has different style of parenting. But experts suggest ways to become a better parents. It no question since they performed several researches before declaring it.

daisyhongjuly

I like this thread! I find myself in a bit of a rut sometimes and right now is one of those times where I need to give myself a push. My daughter will be 4 next month, and I should really spend more time with her on her writing, letters and stuff like that. Oh, and the food rut is there as well, where I need to keep pushing them to eat new things. But then sometimes I feel like a short-order cook as they reject so many foods and then I have to make them something else! Food ruts suck! But so far my patience is strong.

Dorothy

I think there is always room for improvement in anything we do in life , especially parenting. I try to do my best with my kids and I am always open to new suggestions or ideas whenever they are available. I'v been a single mom for over 12 years this time round, and it is a little harder, but we do fine. I love being a parent and even though it has its ups and downs I wouldn't ever change my life with my kids!

John Beck.

^ The title says it all. How could you be a better parent?

Have you been slacking lately and not spending much one-on-one time with your kids? Have you been saying "no" way more often than you say "yes, let's do that!"? Are you maybe making mac and cheese for dinner a little too frequently?

Think about your parenting style lately and share which areas could use a boost.

I have become to tied up in home improvements over the last couple of years and haven't been spending enough one on one time with our teenage son. When he was younger I made myself a rule to set aside a good amount of time on the weekends for play. This became a part of our routine but somehow was lost when home renovations took over. I must get back to this very soon as he needs me now as much if not more than he did back then. After all the jobs will always keep whereas he will grow up and one day leave home.

Olga Kostrova

The goals of parenting are creating a nurturing environment for their children (there is a homework to define all those elements of "nurturing") and LEARN to be a role model for one's children.
You cannot teach a child fundamentals with which you and your spouse don't comply.
Children are very intuitive, they spot any unauthentic "teaching", and then there will come the price... Passive aggressive behaviour and disrespect, at least.
They need Love. Show them Love, Be LOVE.

Jessruth

Only two of my children are living with me now. One is 19 and the other is going to be 10 next month. I think I've been a good parent to my children but I wish I could do more. I'm always learning how to be a good parent. I've learned that yelling and screaming at children make no sense at all. And if one needs to talk to a child, use as little words as possible lest they label you a nag. And listen to what they have to say. It's important to listen to them if you want them to listen to you. I need to learn to listen more and talk less.

I really like that advice. I need to listen more. It sounds like you have been a great example to your children!

Jessruth

I have three children ages 7, 4, and 19 months. They all have a ton of energy, and sometimes it's hard to know how to channel that energy. I love spending time with them especially outdoors. We live in rural Idaho, so lately I have found that playing outside, walking, and looking for deer and rabbits has been a fun way to spend time together and get all the energy out at the same time.

I have to say that in anything there is always room for improvement. Being that I am a stay at home I fear that my lacking category is parenting. You can move the moon and stars around and still have a nay sayer or don't feel as though you have done enough. As long as you and your child have an honest and open door policy with each other where they can feel comfortable talking to you, you will always know when and where to maybe tweak a certain thing you do. I desire more one on one time with my boys. I have four so it may be a little challenging but because they have their own personality we can bond in any way and any environment. Where one would just like me to watch more Animal Planet with him. Another may want me to learn a certain type of game they like. And yet another may just want to hang onto my leg and follow me EVERYWHERE! So I don't beat myself up over the small things. As long as everyone is happy, full and clothed, we are moving in the right direction!

iLaura

I have to say that in anything there is always room for improvement. Being that I am a stay at home I fear that my lacking category is parenting. You can move the moon and stars around and still have a nay sayer or don't feel as though you have done enough. As long as you and your child have an honest and open door policy with each other where they can feel comfortable talking to you, you will always know when and where to maybe tweak a certain thing you do. I desire more one on one time with my boys. I have four so it may be a little challenging but because they have their own personality we can bond in any way and any environment. Where one would just like me to watch more Animal Planet with him. Another may want me to learn a certain type of game they like. And yet another may just want to hang onto my leg and follow me EVERYWHERE! So I don't beat myself up over the small things. As long as everyone is happy, full and clothed, we are moving in the right direction!
This is great advice! Going easy on ourselves is so important. I also like how you've identified the different ways in which each of your children bonds with you. As parents, it is crucial to never lump our children together. They may each have different ways of FEELING our love for them, and it is essential that we not assume that our definition of quality time is the same as theirs. Sometimes it is something as simple as watching Animal Planet together that fortifies our connection to our children.

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
I think you become a better parent when you realize that you're not living just for your self anymore, but for your children.

They're priority one now.

Thora

Advisor Member
I have become to tied up in home improvements over the last couple of years and haven't been spending enough one on one time with our teenage son. When he was younger I made myself a rule to set aside a good amount of time on the weekends for play. This became a part of our routine but somehow was lost when home renovations took over. I must get back to this very soon as he needs me now as much if not more than he did back then. After all the jobs will always keep whereas he will grow up and one day leave home.
I have five children, only one is in his tween's. I find that the best time to spend time with my children is asking them to help me with some project I'm doing. Whatever that is. And I only take one at a time, so the four of them are playing while one comes with me and does the laundry with me, to clean a room or whatever. The point isn't for them to do allot, just to be with me and help in any way they can. This is a win win situation because, I teach them how to do the chores, they feel they've done it with me (which is a major issue of pride for them :) ) and we have a quality time together.
Take your son with you on home renovations, he'll learn, you'll learn about him ... he will look back at it as the time he and his dad fixed the roof together (no matter who did most of the work).

Live easy!
Thora MJ