How can you be sure you are making the right decision?

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Sometimes, in life, a person faces two paths. If one path is taken, then the other one is left behind with all the opportunity that could have brought.

How can you be sure you are making the right choices in life? Are there signs along the way that might indicate whether a path or choice is the right one to make?

iebo

I've found that when I trust my gut, I'm usually right. But when I listen to others and let them influence my decision, its usually not the best choice I could have made. You can't always know if you've taken the right path, but you also don't know what might have happened if you'd made the other choice. Things could have gone horribly wrong, but you didn't make that decision so you'll never know. The worst thing you can do is worry about what-ifs.

mslianne

Well, one can never be sure if one is making the right decision as decision-making is a very complex critical thinking skill. There will always be two opposing results which can make me feel ambivalent in decision-making. Sometimes, I trust my instinct. Other times, I use the pros and cons comparison. :)
I feel that I have ultimately known the right decision when the end results are satisfying, appropriate and never ill-bringing.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Well, one can never be sure if one is making the right decision as decision-making is a very complex critical thinking skill. There will always be two opposing results which can make me feel ambivalent in decision-making. Sometimes, I trust my instinct. Other times, I use the pros and cons comparison. :)
I feel that I have ultimately known the right decision when the end results are satisfying, appropriate and never ill-bringing.
True. Sometimes, you can't know the actual right path until you start out in one direction. Then all you can hope is that you can turn and go back in the other direction if you find out that it's not the right way to go. Of course, that assumes you haven't made life altering decisions that can't be reversed.

speedy

Advisor Member
I agree with MsLianne, The fruit or result itself will tell us if we made the right decision. It is crucial part in our thinking of what the decision we need to make. It involves a thorough search, study or advises if we wanted to be it right. But we have that instinct to identify if we are on the right track in our decision-making. We feel satisfy and have a peace of mind in doing such thing. I always seek advice or guidance from people like my pastor or from my family if I need too before proceed if only it is crucial. And above all, I always pray before doing and deciding on everything because I want God as my guidance above all.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I agree with MsLianne, The fruit or result itself will tell us if we made the right decision. It is crucial part in our thinking of what the decision we need to make. It involves a thorough search, study or advises if we wanted to be it right. But we have that instinct to identify if we are on the right track in our decision-making. We feel satisfy and have a peace of mind in doing such thing. I always seek advice or guidance from people like my pastor or from my family if I need too before proceed if only it is crucial. And above all, I always pray before doing and deciding on everything because I want God as my guidance above all.
Sometimes, I feel very confident that I'm on the right path now. Then later, the same day, when I feel very tired, I doubt myself and wonder how I could have been so foolish as to think I could accomplish such lofty goals. Of course, I'm speaking in riddles, but I think the principle could apply to anyone. We all have our moments of glory and then doubt. We are all tested by fire to see if our convictions are pure and will stand or if they are made of air.

A wise man builds his castle on rock, the fool builds his castle on sand.

speedy

Advisor Member
A wise man builds his castle on rock, the fool builds his castle on sand.[/quote]

Yes, always believe with that line. I can see that you a positive and very determined person. We are only human and subject for mistakes...I always make a mistake...hehe....

radascars

Advisor Member
You will never know as long as you decide it yourself, no one can tell future so decisions are called right because in the end you achieved success, while it can also be called wrong decision if in the end you failed.

There are no right or wrong decision it is you who decides and only yourself can make it right or wrong.

I hope you get my point.

Yolanda

Philosophy is one of the main classes in the study to become a pedagogue.
We need to try and understand and respect the choices people make, and we must learn to make ethical choices when working with parents and children. We need to take a step back from our own vision and view it critically.
Sometimes the right choice isn't the easiest choice, or even the choice that feels right.
I've found that following your heart mostly supplies you with the right answer. Philosophy is one of the ways to get more insight in your own choices and the choices other people make.

beingwell

Sometimes, in life, a person faces two paths. If one path is taken, then the other one is left behind with all the opportunity that could have brought.

How can you be sure you are making the right choices in life? Are there signs along the way that might indicate whether a path or choice is the right one to make?
I agree with this. There are signs that indicate which one is the right way to go. Well, here's what I think. If after analyzing the reason or the logic between two options, and you still don't know which option to take, I suggest we ask our inner self to make the decision for us. We must trust ourselves to know enough what's good for us. Sometimes, a few moments alone with our thoughts goes a really long way.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
A wise man builds his castle on rock, the fool builds his castle on sand.
Yes, always believe with that line. I can see that you a positive and very determined person. We are only human and subject for mistakes...I always make a mistake...hehe....[/quote]

A baby never learns to walk if they don't fall down a few times. Though it's estimated a baby will fall down over 1000 times before learning to properly coordinate legs, feet, body and brain in the act of locomotion. My point is that making mistakes is part of the process of learning. When we discourage making mistakes, we are discouraging progress cause how can we know ahead of time which is the right path? We must resolutely pick one direction and if we see it is not right, we must have courage to turn around and take the other path. That is my new philosophy after reading everyone's comments here. I will NOT be afraid to try a do-over in life.

Regine Richter

I think one can only make a decision based on how he or she sees things now and considering a bit of gut feeling. Late ron in life this decision may not look to be so smart or needs to be corrected. Let me explain.
I was brought up a Roman Catholic but in my teen years came into conact with evangelical people. It fascinated me how much they read the Bible, they pray without a prayer book as a direct communication to God talking to him like to a friend. Later in my mid 20s I joined the Baptist Church because of this. Fast forward 13 years from there, a discussion with my then boyfriend brought it into the open I was not really happy there any more and four more years laterI was reconciled with the Catholic church, that was 2002 and now its 2011 and I dont have the slightest feeling of I should have done other wise.
The time in the Baptist Church was sure important for my spiritual development but when that time was over I needed to follow the path back to my old church home.

Cecil Estrera

In my opinion, you must know your priorities first.
Now when you are sure enough on what's important to you, then you are ready to make decisions.
I believe that when you know what to focus on, you will definitely make good choices in life and with no regrets at the end.

zararina

Coaching Member
At first, it would be hard to predict that the decision you had made is the right decision. We just have to choose what we think is more right thing to choose. We should consider things before making final decision such as if that decision would be good for everyone. At the end, it is what you feel about that decision will tell you if that is the right decision.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I remember the movie "Sliding Doors" which starred Gwyneth Paltrow playing the role of a woman whose love life and career would be changed based on whether she can get into the train on time. You see, the kind of decision we made today would always have an impact of the kind of life we will have tomorrow. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the decision we made would always turns out to be helpful -- it is because there are some factors beyond our control and we are not perfect. However, the best thing to do is never use your emotions in decision-making therefore we have to be rational. Always inspect all the sides of the story and never rush the decision as much as possible.