how can i overcome laziness?

ENG

Hello!
I'm a new comer and i'm a french native speaker so, please, forgive my english if it is not so good!
There is almost one year that i hear about personal development and i get interested. Then, i started searching online articles and videos on personal development. i read those articles and watch videos. presentely i really know what personal developement means. but my problem is lack of motivation, laziness. i'm even lazy when i have to put in practise all the advices i read on those articles. i'm not happy of my live because i'm alway passsing beside what i have to do. i asked myself a lot of questions and i discover that the source of my problems is laziness, lack of motivation. i don't really know how to overcome the problem. that is why i decided to join this forum, talking to myself that may be by discussing with peoples who have succeded to overcome laziness, i will finally do so. i really expecting from you.
Thanks!

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Hello and Welcome. Congrats on finding the path of personal development! You are in the right place on this forum, great people and information here.

I first want to say you are the solution to this challenge. No matter what you see, hear or watch you must take the action yourself. You mentioned
i asked myself a lot of questions and i discover...
Thats the right path for sure!!!!!!! So keep asking questions to yourself about what motivates you.
For the most part humans are only motivated through contrast. A situation lets us know what we don't want and then we become clear on what we desire and are naturally motivated to acquire whats missing.(check out my article today on this) So embrace the current struggles and look for unideal situations to strike motivation.
2. you can try an accountability partner, if you don't like letting others down or being embarrassed for not keeping you word, then tell a friend your action list and have them follow up with you daily or weekly.

Lastly motivation can lack in areas and be present in other aspects of life so if their is something you really do well with taking action on tie that activities together with something you are less motivated with. Here is an example. Lets say you are motivated to get on facebook. You could use that motivation to tie in other activities. You may say after every 10 minutes on facebook you read a couple pages of a book(maybe a motivation book) before going back to the web.

I would suggest looking through all the answers you'll receive here and find out what makes since to you. You are the solution!

Best of luck and blessings

AsIWeave

Hello!
I'm a new comer and i'm a french native speaker so, please, forgive my english if it is not so good!
There is almost one year that i hear about personal development and i get interested. Then, i started searching online articles and videos on personal development. i read those articles and watch videos. presentely i really know what personal developement means. but my problem is lack of motivation, laziness. i'm even lazy when i have to put in practise all the advices i read on those articles. i'm not happy of my live because i'm alway passsing beside what i have to do. i asked myself a lot of questions and i discover that the source of my problems is laziness, lack of motivation. i don't really know how to overcome the problem. that is why i decided to join this forum, talking to myself that may be by discussing with peoples who have succeded to overcome laziness, i will finally do so. i really expecting from you.
Thanks!
i find that motivation comes from what is at the end of the tunnel and it comes in the form of small wins. By "end of the tunnel" I mean, what do you want? Spend some time thinking about things that excite you and then realize that you can have it! Change does not happen overnight and that is ok. Consistency is key. If your goal is to workout more, start with 5-10 minutes a day and you will slowly build your will power over time! hope this helps :)

Hello!
Thanks!
Procrastination is the nature of this problem...

The famous Greek philosophers of Aristotle developed a word to describe this as:
Akrasia (the state of acting against your better judgement)

self-control being the principle of virtue that is of lack...

The force of this human characteristic stops us from performing the Goals we set out to achieve leading to a variety of negative long and short-term situations.

But with the key of 'delayed gratification,' you unlock the door to productivity, stepping out an away from procrastination...

'Instant gratification' stops you at the door in distraction, keeping you trapped in un-productivity.

The path of instant gratification is more painful than that of delayed gratification, resulting in Guilt, shame, fear and anxiety which has the potential to lead to emotions of confusion, bitterness and resentment.

But it does have to go that way...

When we decide to take action and start then the motivation comes and momentum builds into a harmony of positive emotions of confidence, self-esteem, satisfaction, determination and happiness and constructive behaviour.

Here is a great set of techniques that can lead us in the right direction and actually accelerate our efforts;

Strategy 1
(GOAL AND LEISURE COMBINATION)

Combine the activity of a goal pursuit with something you love doing that can make you procrastinate turning the roadblock into a bridge towards productivity;

• Working out while listening to a motivational or personal development podcast
  • Eating at your favourite restaurant while having a meeting.
  • Taking a drive or going for a run while listening to that teaching course/tutorial.

Now with using what we discussed in the previous emails; with the blueprint of your vision and the foundations of your 'Goals List' laid down, now use this strategy;

Strategy 2
(PROGRESSIVE INPUT TO CONTINUAL OUTCOME)

We can get over overwhelmed by our goal, instead of trying to make the entire house, start laying a few bricks, the small contributions transfer into a continual flow and higher levels of activity;

• Small measures of progress help to maintain momentum over the long-run, which means you’re more likely to finish large tasks.
  • The faster you complete a productive task, the more quickly your day develops an attitude of productivity and effectiveness.

These are just a few principles to apply to beating procrastination that you can get started with that will dramatically change your results as it has done for me...

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi ENG,

Recently, I become convinced that since motivation comes from inside a person, it can not be produced from outside factors. I mean if you do not really have the desire inside you to do something, then it does not help to look for outside factors to motivate yourself. I think also, it does not mean that you lack motivation in general, it means you just lack motivation about that thing because you most likely do not really love it. So, I think you need to find out what the thing you love most is in order to do in your life. When you figure it out, I believe the motivation will flow naturally inside you.

I think that the following words of AsIWeave are very useful to begin with in your journey of self-development;
Spend some time thinking about things that excite you and then realize that you can have it! Change does not happen overnight and that is ok. Consistency is key. If your goal is to workout more, start with 5-10 minutes a day and you will slowly build your will power over time! hope this helps
I also think that the following words of J E Roberson are very helpful to take into consideration;
I first want to say you are the solution to this challenge. No matter what you see, hear or watch you must take the action yourself.
and the same is true regarding his following words;
Lastly motivation can lack in areas and be present in other aspects of life so if their is something you really do well with taking action on tie that activities together with something you are less motivated with. Here is an example. Lets say you are motivated to get on facebook. You could use that motivation to tie in other activities. You may say after every 10 minutes on facebook you read a couple pages of a book(maybe a motivation book) before going back to the web.
Peace upon you
& kind regards

Last edited:
Laziness and procrastination are very much connected to personal and emotional blocks and past trauma and emotional wounds. So, there are many emotional meanings that can explain the reason why we do not feel motivated to do one thing. A person can be blocked in doing one thing and get lazy because in the past occurred a bad experience connected to that. When there are more burdens and emotional wounds then this can result in a general feeling of lack of motivation. The way is not about convincing the self first but about discharging those burdens and curing those emotional wounds. How to do that? There are good self help techniques out there (eft being one of them) but a deep job in my experience can only be done with a professional in the psychological field.

Hope this helps!

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hi @ENG,

There is an exercise I found in a personal development book I read yesterday that may help you be motivated:

Write down what you want to do, and beside that, write what you will get as a Reward if you do it, and write what you will Regret if you don't do it. The reward should be related to what you feel when you finish the task, and the regret should also be related to what you feel if you don't finish it.

The example in the book is: let's say your goal is to get a promotion. The reward is that you get appreciation from your co-workers, you feel proud, and your boss recognizes you. The regret if you don't get it is that you can't afford a new car, or can't buy a new home, etc.

(I think the example above is a bit superficial, but it serves as an example). It can be difficult to get in touch with our emotions to figure out what truly drives us to do something so much, we don't think about being motivated - we just do it and get it done. I'm still learning about this too, but I hope the exercise I share can help you in some way.

Cheers!

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
Hello!
Thanks!
Hi, try to overcome laziness and procrastination one step at a time. No one could expect that from one day to another stop being lazy. It could works for few days, but eventually you would end there where you were before. Try baby steps, for example, when you have to do some work, and you put it away in the past, don´t try next day work 2 hours, because I guarantee you It is not possible (Personal experience - many times). Give yourself a goal to work 10 minutes (it´s not as hard to stay focused 10 minutes as 2 hours right?), and then give yourself a little break, and then you will feel motivated, and add another 10 minutes, and next day, or next week you will increase this working minutes and suddenly, you will get rid of your problem.

Hello!
Thanks!
First of all, you are going to have find out what motivates you. You also need to think of the reults you will get once you complete a task. Viewing results sometimes give people motivation.