Homeschooling or Private / Public schooling - Which one is good for children?

vest007

Right now, homeschooling is getting more and more popular in the US, EU and even in Russia. One of the concerns parents are having is about the quality of the teachers and that of the syllabus. Also, there is a chance that your children might pickup bad habits from their classmates. On the other hand, critics say that children who are home schooled normally end up being introvert and lack communication skills.

So which one will you prefer for your kids?

speedy

Advisor Member
Yes,I've heard such thing as well. I also had a friend who grown up, home schooled. She said, she like it and no problem at all. But personally, I will not let my children to have home schooled because as a person they need to mingle with other children to develop themselves by socializing and meeting other children outside home. You are right that bad habits will influenced them and that's why the parents need to monitor their children inside or outside school. But study is more exciting in schools because there are activities that children can join to have fun and learn with other students.

Estefani

I was home schooled for elementary and middle school and I honestly would not want my child to go through that. And I don't think that the public school system is any better either. I'd definitely rather pay for my child's education and send her to private school where she'd have a better education and be in a better environment than the one of a public school

Cecil Estrera

I prefer sending them off to public/private schools rather than just studying at home.
I believe they could learn better in schools where there is an instructor and guider.
And the house cannot give the social environment that the private/public schools would provide to our children.
They need to mingle with their fellow kids and have friends of their own.

MyDigitalpoint

Advisor Member
On one hand, I do agree that quality in education is terrible nowadays regardless the place of the world where each one lives. On the other hand, violence in schools is more common every day and bullying is just the tip of the iceberg in that matter so I prefer home schooling.

However, from my point of view, there are three factors to keep in mind to succeed:

1. Engagement; parents need to make sure they will have the time to be parents and teachers at a time and fulfill both requirements satisfactorily.

2. Make sure to provide them with time and space to socialize. Like Cecil said, they need to mingle with other kids but....

3. Talk with children about what they may expect from those children and their own environment, encouraging them to get back to parents with any questioning about.

How many times a good educations comes to an end when children are exposed to kids that have a dysfunctional family and eventually do whatever to twist your own children's steps with the premise that if they are not happy nor his/her family, nobody else must be.

Human relations may be hard by itself whether the children attend school or study at home so in both cases the last point should be observed.

beingwell

Hi vest! I prefer sending my kids to IS rather than be home-schooled. I'd like them to experience playing with other children and be more sociable. There are many things they may learn not only from their teachers, but from their friends, as well.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
In those countries you mentioned, homeschooling is actually a very good option considering that there is already an established modules for such alternative way of learning. the best thing here is that everything can be done home-based and with the parents themselves acting as the teacher or mentor. One major disadvantage is the lack of interaction with peers or classmates which is one of the foundation of the child's social growth. If I were a parent in USA, I might consider homeschooling if traditional school system seems to be not the best for my standard.

canadien

Homeschooling has it's benefits, like the lack of potential bullying or alienation, and the education is also very personal. However, I think attending school with other students is better in the long run. Being at school teaches kids and youths how to be social and how to behave socially. While I don't dispute that home-schooled kids can still be social, they don't get the same experience of basically living half a year with other kids. I've been friends with many outgoing, social people who were home-schooled. I still think, though, that attending a school is better than home-school.

zararina

Coaching Member
Personally i do not like the home schooling system. It really limits the ability of the child to just learn academics and not the extra curricular activities. I believe that there are things can not be learned just by reading books and that is how to deal with different kinds of people. Proper guidance would be needed to avoid a child pick up bad habits and make them wiser in dealing with people.

cindymae

I am a homeschooling mom and I simply love it. It is not for everyone though and it completely depends on each individual family. There are many families that it just does not work for. They try it and it makes them miserable. Then there are families like mine that have improved so much since I pulled my children out of the horrible local public school system.

I really hate the argument of children not having any communication skills and being introverts. First of all, I know a ton of people who went to public schools all their life and have no personal skills what-so-ever and stay locked up because they don't enjoy being around other people.

Most homeschool children are not locked up in their houses all day. There are a ton of awesome homeschool groups out there and almost ever town and city on the map has one there or close by. This gives kids a chance to work in groups and be around other students as well. Most offer classes so that these kids can build those skills in a positive environment.

songbird

I have enjoyed homeschooling. It has worked for our family. It has given us the freedom to decide what we want our children to learn. The public school system has many restrictions on time and content. I have enjoyed learning and growing with my children.

sepia_majesty

I work in public schools and I agree that there is a lot that needs to change. At the same time, a lot of criticisms schools are receiving are unfair. A lot of instances of student failure is partially due to parents. I guarantee that a lot of children you see struggling with school work come from homes where the parents don't take the time to check their child's homework, read with them, study with them, make sure they've done their work, kept close contact with teachers for updates on grades, etc. A lot of that is due to parents being too busy, working and taking care of other things, but I think there's enough blame to go around for a lot of issues we're seeing in schools.

Whether public, private or homeschooling is right for a child depends on the particular child and what their family is capable of providing. I know plenty of successful homeschooling parents, and most of the mothers do not work and are focusing on being homemakers and homeschooling the children. Not every household can afford to make that same decision.

I also know many, many great public school teachers and great students in public schools who receive quality educations. I went to public schools and I think I received a great education, and I wouldn't choose any alternative methods if I could go back and change things.

I think the main thing to remember is that parent involvement is the key. They are your kids, no one else's. Their education should be of the utmost importance to you. You have to keep in contact with teachers, find supplemental material or tutoring supplies if they're needed, find ways to educate them when you're with them, make sure they're doing their work and studying, and make the district make changes if you think it's necessary. If you choose to homeschool, you have to be just as vigilant when it comes to their education. You are to be your kids' biggest advocate. Accepting low standards is what got us all into a lot of the messes me see now. That includes schools and parents.

clauemi

My kids are not in school yet but I am leaning towards home schooling right now. I don't think it effects their communication skills, they will still be interacting with kids their age but in different ways. Plus I have more control over what kind of friendships they are forming. Public schools are overcrowded, student/teacher ratio is getting worse as population increases. I remember back when I was in school I had teachers who did not give a d*mn about proper education and that's here in US where supposedly education is important. The only negative thing I see is that it will take a lot of discipline on both me and my kids part to stay on schedule.