High-fibre diet

I've read on an article that a high fibre diet can actually help you maintain your health by cleaning out your digestive system.
Has anyone tried that with good effects?

I've been to clinics in my country and they suggest a high fibre diet for people seeking to slim down or just maintain their health.

I quote http://www.singhealth.com.sg/PatientCare/ConditionsAndTreatments/Pages/HighFibreDiet.aspx,

What is dietary fibre?

Dietary fibre comprises any substance of the plant origin, which is not digestible by your body. It includes plant cell walls and supporting structures.

A lot of other useful facts can be found on that website. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Do you know of anyone who has tried a high fibre diet and it worked for them?

F

FuzzyMike

No I am sorry,
I have never heard of this diet, and I do not know people who tried it.

Ah that's a pity. I went to read more about it and it seems like it has potential benefits like reducing blood cholesterol. I'll try to get a recommendation from my doctor and I'll try it, hopefully I can share my experience.

A low fat fiber can precipitate us to colon cancer. High fiber diet is good for us. Fiber is bulk-forming and usually helps people who are constipated. :) It's for people who want to eat healthy as fiber helps their digestive systems to be cleaned out for better digestion. I haven't really tried it but I know of some people who have since they usually have a hard time eliminating. I would like to try it out sometime as well so that my digestion would be better.

Eating wholemeal bread instead of white bread can actually help digestion since wholemeal bread are relatively higher in fiber.
I've done some research and I've found some websites that talk about the benefits of wholemeal bread. Personally, I eat a lot of bread for breakfast and by doing a small switch (Wholemeal bread is only a little more expensive), we can get a healthier diet.

Read this:
http://www.freefitnesstips.co.uk/4-whole-grain-benefits.html

iebo

Well I eat oatmeal every morning. It helps to keep my colon clean and gives me a good start to the day. Its also known to help keep cholesterol down which is good for your heart.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I think oatmeal is a good choice. I understand if you introduce a lot of fiber into your body suddenly, you can get extremely constipated so you want to do it gradually and eat the right kinds of fiber, e.g. soluble vs. insoluble. I don't recall the differences or what the best kinds are but best to do your homework before changing your diet.

I see. I must've overlooked the part on constipation since I've also heard similar comments regarding a high-fiber diet.

You need to drink a lot of water since most plant fiber are cellulose and cannot be digested, so they are passed out.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
We all need fibers every day. Aside from taking fibers in supplement forms, we can have our daily fill by eating fruits and veggies. And aside from being a digestive cleaner, fibers can also helps us feel full and thereby regulate our appetite -- this is actually good news for weight watchers.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
A low fat fiber can precipitate us to colon cancer. High fiber diet is good for us. Fiber is bulk-forming and usually helps people who are constipated. :) It's for people who want to eat healthy as fiber helps their digestive systems to be cleaned out for better digestion. I haven't really tried it but I know of some people who have since they usually have a hard time eliminating. I would like to try it out sometime as well so that my digestion would be better.
You are so right about that. And, both soluble and insoluble fiber is important. You can get soluble fiber from oatmeal and insoluble from legumes, beans and peanuts. Fiber helps push waste out of the digestive system to keep the body clean. It's so important, yet most people eat very little fiber containing foods.

I've read on an article that a high fibre diet can actually help you maintain your health by cleaning out your digestive system.
Has anyone tried that with good effects?
I haven't really tried this diet before. Although fiber is good for our digestive tract (i.e. in cleansing our colons, bowel movements), I don't really know how it a high-fiber diet works. I still believe in a balanced meal where you have your protein and carbs in one plate.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I haven't really tried this diet before. Although fiber is good for our digestive tract (i.e. in cleansing our colons, bowel movements), I don't really know how it a high-fiber diet works. I still believe in a balanced meal where you have your protein and carbs in one plate.
So many people are looking for the magic bullet of diets that will help them lose weight easily without effort. Really, there is no such thing. But you can eat healthy natural fruits, veggies, whole grains and legumes and have a healthy weight. Of course, fiber is in any plant that grows out of the ground. So if you get plenty of plant food in your diet, you will be well set on fiber.