Heavily undereducated and doubtful of success.

I'm going to be turning eighteen in a few days and up to this point, have little to no knowledge of any high school curriculum subjects. I haven't even completed algebra 1, my scientific education is null, I am near-perfectly illiterate in geometry and god knows how many other subjects.
I haven't yet found my ambition (apart from pipe dreams) and doubt I ever will, nor do I have any practical talents or skills to offer.
I'm not certain I'll fail in life but I have little doubt I'm going to seriously struggle with living in the adult world. Apart from the obvious (get motivated, educate yourself, etc.) I'd appreciate if you shared any useful advice you might have for remedying my situation.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
No easy answers as I'm sure you know. I'd think the first priority is ensuring you can earn some sort of living even if it's not your ambition and doesn't take special skills. Just being willing to work hard and be dependable can count for a lot, and perhaps new options open up along the way.

No skills to offer? Your writing is impressive. Also, you obviously have computer and internet skills to offer employers.
I appreciate the compliment, thank you. Unsure how useful my writing skill will prove (freelance writing/journalism perhaps?) but it might assist with landing jobs.

Now, the extent of my IT skills is using a mouse and keyboard, and the degree to which either of those things qualify as "skills" is kinda dubious. I mean, not to be rude, but absolutely anyone can click things on a screen, we're not exactly looking at talents CEOs will be scrambling for, y'know? I think I'll keep it in mind anyway, just to be safe.

I haven't even completed algebra 1, my scientific education is null, I am near-perfectly illiterate in geometry and god knows how many other subjects.
I have a B.S. in Computer Science and had to take a ton of math classes - 15 years after graduating and working full-time as a software engineer, do you know how many times I've used anything other than basic algebra for my work? Zero times. Same with physics and chemistry.

The point is that you shouldn't think about what you don't have unless you're certain you'll have a need for it. Don't focus on the things you don't have if they won't be necessary for you.

I haven't yet found my ambition (apart from pipe dreams) and doubt I ever will, nor do I have any practical talents or skills to offer
A question I heard elsewhere to ask yourself in situations like these is "what do you do when you're doing you?" In other words, what things do you do on your own that you find enjoyable, the things that when you start doing them time flies by and you forget about everything else? That's a clue that it's something you're interested in and are probably great at and can build upon to be able to offer this as an asset to someone.

You can always use that as a guide to figure out what need to do to expand that skill to the point where you can use it besides on yourself. And really, don't ever think that you don't have, or will never have, any useful skills to offer. Don't ever sell yourself short!

Hello LiquidViscosity!

After reading your post and your comments here, I agree with Todd Hicks, your ability to communicate is impressive and certainly noticeable!

I am in the Personal Development industry and have been for nearly 10 years now! One thing I can guarantee you is really no matter how far away you feel like you are, as long as you're HUNGRY for MORE and for BETTER, you'll find ways to make it happen, not a single fiber or cell of doubt in my mind.

In today's world, you're absolutely correct. The 'average Joe' knows how to point and click and navigate the Internet. Something not EVERYONE knows how to do is communicate properly.. and accurately.

I also agree with dennmart, knowing Physics and Chemistry and 'advanced' Algebra couldn't be more useless for SOME people in their respect fields and careers. For those of us centering our focuses upon business and money, Chemistry couldn't be more irrelevant. However, if you're looking into the architecture industry, math will be an obvious and required strength.

I've seen and heard way too much success stories of people starting from the bottom and becoming a household name because of their hunger for success in any way they can possibly obtain it.

Your post mentioned turning 18 in a few days.. trust me, you have PLENTY of time to discover your true calling. One thing I implore you to delve into is searching for a MENTOR. Either personally or through the Internet (i.e. Jim Rohn (as msuccess quoted under his comment) Brian Tracy, Tony Robbins, etc). You're young and fresh into the real world with adulthood, take advantage of that!

I hope this helps!

If you like what I've said, please check out my website: Riseaboveitglobal.net

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Hello Liquid Viscosity, may I share a story with you?

You remind me a lot of myself a few years ago, when I was 17/18 I felt lost and depressed. I struggled emotionally to get through each day, there didn't seem any point to going on. I had no idea what I was going to do in life.

I ended up moving a couple hundred kilometres from my home town to the city (big change) and stayed with family for a while. I drifted aimlessly because I didn't see myself as being special or overly talented. I was just a shy bookworm who didn't know what she wanted to do.
By luck I found a job in a nearby supermarket as customer service, which given I was shy was quite the eye-opener.

I was also blessed to find an online community who helped boost my courage and confidence, and I started believing I could do great things.

These days I am 21, I have started my first business (online ecommerce) and have made several sales. I'm not a millionare yet :) but it's great to have confidence and direction. Don't let anyone tell you because you're young you can't accomplish anything in life. Remember it simply gives you more time to discover and achieve your goals!

I would suggest you visit http://www.mindvalley.com/
"We often hear from people that education failed them."

I find them to be a brilliant group of people with a bright vision for the future. They have truly inspired me, I hope they inspire you too!
They have a free weekly newsletter with tons of content and videos, their stuff is amazing. They also have a paid membership called "Mindvalley Tribe"
I'm a member myself so if you decide to join I'll see you in there!
For now enjoy their free content and I hope you go further then you ever expected!

May the stars light your path,
Sarah

actionmf

DAAAAAAYUM you're only 18! You're just startin out and life begins AFTER high school so you're not behind. Hell there are 50 year old who have the exact same fears! BTW, all the s**t you learned in HS is out the fuckin window when you graduate lol.

Here's what you do: Figure out what you're passionate about. Figure out what gets you excited, what lights your SOUL on fire. For example, I love people. I love helping them realize the infinite potential they have and helping them use their innate gifts to create abundance.

Next, figure out how you can get paid by it. This is important: PASSION THEN PROFITS! LOVE BEFORE MONEY! Find something you love, then figure out how to get paid for it.

With aaaaaallllll that being said, if you had free reign to choose what you wanted to do, what would it be? Don't worry this will probably change as time goes on but this will be a good starting point!

The fact that you are aware of these potential issues is a positive step, in my opinion. However, some of the things that you are mentioning (geometry, algebra, etc.) will never come up in daily life, so can't really be defined as something holding you back, as others have also pointed out.

The biggest thing you can do is believe in you. Find out what you like and what you are good at. There should be something in that list which you can set as goals.

It isn't the end of the world if you can't figure out what to do with your life at 18 years old. Not many people do know.

Most importantly, don't stress and don't feel that you are a failure. You are at the beginning of your life.

Just remember a thought starts off as an idea, you must take that idea and turn it into desire. Whether it takes months, years, or weeks you must nurture your idea into a desire. Then everyday make some progress towards that goal. It can be incremental. The point is progress. tThen one day your desire will turn into reality. The true secret is the process of ones idea to physical reality. You can do anything my friend. Just submerge yourself in whatever endeavor you decide to pursue in life and progress. Enjoy the journey. There will be days you will feel sorry for yourself, stop look at your surroundings and just be grateful for what you truly have. Many successful people say it was gratitude that got them through the toughest times.

You have a good start!

Hello,

I am new here, but here is my advice. If you do not have a diploma, take a GED class. Even if you don't have any educational skills, you will need a diploma or GED just to get in the door. You even need to have that in order to take a technical skill class. I was doubtful of my skills when I was your age. Sometimes, people forget to encourage us to follow our dreams. I was scared.

I also encourage you to find a place to take a good aptitude test. Find out where you belong. Following your passion is not always the best advice. We all have passion, but some of our passions do not pay. The best advice I have been told is to find a way to do something you are good at to make the world a better place. When you combine your abilities (and you do have them) with doing something to better the world, you will have fulfilment.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
This biggest challenge in this situation is your mindset. You must first address that. You can accomplish all of the mentioned or find the skills to fulfill your purpose once you believe your are whole. Which you are. No matter what action you take if you believe in any type of inadequacy you will fail or trudge slowly.

All accomplishment outside of luck comes from belief enough to take action down a specific path. This is a quality of the vast majority of accomplished humans. I suggest getting the foundational inner tool of self believe prior to taking on paths that seek worldly Knowledge. Start with the basics.

What if you were a Algebra expert that was afraid to make moves or unmotivated? Same problem different place right? In the contrary there are countless stories of self believe without world knowledge that has created a meaningful life.

Best of luck Liquid!

denydritz

Coaching Member
What do you mean by 'living in the adult world'? I assume it's making a living and paying bills?

I agree that basic skills can get you a good job, if that's what you're looking for. My friends, who are engineers, learn everything again when they enter their fields of work. I'm building an online business, and I learned everything from zero, not using most of what I learned in school and university.

I recommend reading Simon Sinek "Start With Why" if you want to understand how to find your passion (he has a sequel book Find Your Why but I haven't read it). Once you know your passion, you can apply it to any field of work, even seemingly mundane jobs.

The good news I want to share with you is that you might not know what you want to do (or what you're good at) now, but once you find it, it will open up your eyes to a whole new world of possibilities. You might wake up every day feeling excited about what you're going to do and who you're going to meet.

Cheers!

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
@LiquidViscosity

I think you're so much further than me when I was 18 because your already searching. When I graduated form high school, I studied business economics (in the netherlands). I got really unhappy because this wasn't the thing I wanted to do, finished the study, and went on traveling for 2 years. Im now 25 and getting more of a feel for what I want to do.

The thing I would've done different?

Do a bunch of different things while I was still young and not go to college. I mean, now I want to be writing stuff (and I thought I would be doing something with math, I was never. good with languages at all and I was a horrible writer) which is quite a strange switch to have made.

The thing is, your almost 18, so thats the biggest opportunity you've got to get into different field and look explore things that sounds fun. There are many ways to educate yourself and getting in front of the right people to get the job you want.

Stop thinking you should know what to do at this point in your life because when I was 18 I didn't know anything about life and Im sure that was the same for most people my age. Everyone I speak of my friends who've got a job right now, are talking about how they wish they could try something else but have no education and have the feeling they wasted their education if they make the switch.

I don't want to give you advice on what you should do but let me put it this way, if I would give advice to my younger self it would be this: get into many different jobs, fail faster to figure out faster what Im really good at, always seek to make new connection and get in front of opportunities (I was pretty bad at this so this would've been hard, but I think its one of the most important ones), and ones you get more of a sense of what you're good at, study the best people, read all the books, develop the important skillsets in that area, and you'll become a very success man, no matter what your occupation or business venture is.

And btw, even if you would have an idea right now at what you want to do, there is a massive chance life turns out differently than you expect it to – because like I said, I never ever would have thought I would not be crunching numbers.

I hope this helps.

All the best to you,
Mick

my 2 cents worth Mick,
my parents , family and friends brain washing me to
- work hard and get that diploma
- after going to school for 4 years in business and 10 years to earn my MD and BS
- ive come to the shocking realization that business school and med school only taught me to be a well trained slave as my profs are too. We are brain washed into following these tragic steps. SCHOOL doesn't teach you how to be successful. If I were you mick just save your time and money from school and just follow your own path but learn from super successful people only!! learn from their books or seminars. don't listen to profs or teachers or family. and find your passions at the same time . Don't become a trained sheep or zombie.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many things you can try and do and you have so much time in your hands right now. Eighteen you say? I kind of wish to be in your situation right now. 13 years ago when I was your age I didn't even had a computer. I had a school but was of no real help for me. I added one more school in the meantime and still nothing worthwhile getting out of it. Don't feel bad for not being too illiterate. If you want to become a lawyer or a doctor you might need this "skill".

People will not appreciate you for being more literate. They will appreciate you for who you are and for the things you do and the way you do them. Stop worrying about this nonsense and send a big F to your lack of education. Your quality of life is not predicated on how well you read or write and how much geometry you know. How the heck cares about these things anyway? Why do you need to know science to make money and to have a good life? Most of the information you learn at school you can find it with a google search. Please stop worrying about this nonsense.

Try as many things as you can. Apply for internships if you afford it. Get experience as much as you can and forget about the knowledge you might learn at school. It is not as relevant anymore today as it used to be back in the days in a world with no internet. The companies that you would want to work for are the companies that value experience and personality. Not companies that value diplomas or useless knowledge that you can anyway find it on the internet at anytime.

In my opinion you are on the right side of things. School is made in such a way that it brainwashes you and makes you think that you need to follow the rules of the authorithy to get going through life. No school means you have a mind free of prejudices and conditionings. Take your lack of schooling as a boon rather than a handicap. In most cases it is.

You are young and you have a lot of time to test things out until you are thirty or so. And trust me, then you will be way ahead of the majority of the people of your age. Because most people will get a job and stay there for years. Because they feel they have to do this or tha,t because they went to this or that school and paid a lot of money for it. And because they wasted time and money for it now they are conditioned to do only that. But you are free and you can do whatever you like and get as much experience as you can.

Hope this helps and wish all the best. Be positive, there is really no reason for you to worry. Don't rush things up, don't expect to win in life too fast. Be patient and get as much experience now as you are young.

I recommend you this guy maybe you already heard of him: Gary Vaynerchuck: Here is a quick video of him:

Last edited:
I'm going to be turning eighteen in a few days and up to this point, have little to no knowledge of any high school curriculum subjects. I haven't even completed algebra 1, my scientific education is null, I am near-perfectly illiterate in geometry and god knows how many other subjects.
I haven't yet found my ambition (apart from pipe dreams) and doubt I ever will, nor do I have any practical talents or skills to offer.
I'm not certain I'll fail in life but I have little doubt I'm going to seriously struggle with living in the adult world. Apart from the obvious (get motivated, educate yourself, etc.) I'd appreciate if you shared any useful advice you might have for remedying my situation.
Hey there, I will tell you what. There are so many opportunities and resources that you can use to start your educational journey. I think you're being way too hard on yourself when you're just at the beginning. You're capable of amazing things, you just need to try a bunch of different things, learn a little bit, and figure out what would make you happy :)