Having A Career in Your Passion

Mrnace

I am currently working a full time job that I hate and alway applying for other job vacancies.

But its all the same, jobs I'll hate and find boring and unchallenging and frustrating.

This has inspired my to write an article on igniting passion and how I and everyone else should be living their live and working a job that fuels that passion.

check it out - http://becomethemonster.com/ignite-your-passion/

What are you passionate about? Are you working in your passion?

Chris Desatoff

Advisor Member
I just read a good article on this site today on this same topic. It's called, "Finding Your True Calling" by Brian Tracy. http://www.personal-development.com/brian-tracy-articles/finding-your-true-calling.htm

@Mrnace I think it's great that you're trying to get out of a job you hate to find something that is more personally satisfying. I also worked many jobs that I hated, and I was not much fun to be around during those years haha.

But on the flip side, I guess the case can also be made that many jobs that seem dreadful can actually be enjoyed if a simple attitude adjustment is made. Looking back on some of the jobs I held, I think that I could have endured them if only I was a stronger, more positive person at the time. Maybe...maybe not. No way I can go back in time and test it out. But I imagine there are people today and throughout history who worked in much worse conditions yet managed to live otherwise happy, fulfilling lives.

A blogger friend of mine recently read a book that talked about how this whole "what am I supposed to do with my life" question is really only a recent phenomenon in human history. For thousands of years, people had little choice in deciding what job or career path to take. They just worked in their family business, or their jobs were assigned to them by local rulers. It's really a modern problem, something that most of our ancestors never had the privilege of deciding for themselves.

Mrnace

@Chris Desatoff

Thats a great point that its a modern phenomenon, but back when people had no choice there would have been a lot more acceptance of this way of life where you had no choice, but then again, there must have been people that didn't enjoy it.

I have no family business or local ruler telling me what path to take, I just have me and my options and my current day job is not something I want to be doing for too much longer.

Its like today I was supposed to be working a 11hour shift but because I hate it so much, I called in sick.

I am instead going to be finishing of the book I am writing, including the editing if possible and hope to have it published on kindle in the next couple of days.

I suppose its got more difficult at my day job now that I am close to starting something in my own passion.

Chris Desatoff

Advisor Member
Yeah, we are lucky to live at this time and place in history, with so many freedoms, so many open paths before us.

Sounds like you had the best sick day ever!

So what is your book about? Are you selling it or doing a free/cheap promo when you launch it? I'm hoping to do ebooks too, in the near future. And how about THAT? How incredible is this Internet Age where we can write and distribute whole books by ourselves, for little or no cost to us. And our work can be read instantly by people all around the planet?

It's just an amazing time to be alive.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mrnace

Thanks @Chris Desatoff

The book is about goal setting, a "how to".

I just got to do some editing and it will be ready to upload to kindle.

I'll also be giving it away free for people who have subsribed to my email list so that I can get their feedback. I may post it on here for a while so I can get feedback from all you guys and gals on here too.

I'll probably do some kind of launch offer too. Not sure what.

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
"Choose a job you love and never work a single day in your life."
-Confucius

I've worked several jobs when I was young. I think before my job in PR, I've liked only one.

But my passion really, is art. I'll probably get back into it in the near future but now, I find my job interesting and worthwhile. You might say it's a new passion that I enjoy right now.

Mrnace

@Erica Faith Its awsesome you enjoy your PR job. I hope it stays that way and you remian happy. And its always nice to have something else you have a passion for to fall back on. Art is such an amazing industry to be part of is you can.

Chris Desatoff

Advisor Member
"Choose a job you love and never work a single day in your life."
-Confucius

I've worked several jobs when I was young. I think before my job in PR, I've liked only one.

But my passion really, is art. I'll probably get back into it in the near future but now, I find my job interesting and worthwhile. You might say it's a new passion that I enjoy right now.
@Erica Faith Be careful haha! I was once passionate about photography, but I also needed money, so it seemed like a no-brainer to start a freelance photography business. It went okay. For a part time startup, it was pretty successful, really. But I needed a full time income, and I naively thought I could make it happen quickly.

I thought wrong.

Eventually my photography biz became such a source of frustration and tension in my home and marriage. I had to quit, sell all my gear (or as much as I could) to catch up on some bills, and go back to working a "real job". For the next several years, I would feel sick to my stomach whenever someone ask me to shoot pics for them. It got so bad and caused me such anxiety that I found myself wishing that I didn't even have a camera; that way I could just shrug and say, "Sorry...I don't have my photography stuff anymore".

Last year, I got rid of everything. I still had a backup camera and a couple lenses that nobody would buy, so I trashed them all.

My example is pretty extreme, I admit, but it shows that pursuing your passions for money doesn't always work out so well. If you can get a job that you enjoy (sounds like you found just that), and pursue art with more pure motivations, then I think that is a much better way to go.

Mrnace

@Chris Desatoff

I totally get where you are coming from there. Its hard to just start a biz and expect to be able to make enough money straight away.

Its all about buidling a client base and a reputation as a photographer. Its all well and good doing the odd wedding and birthday party, but as you found out, they are not enough.

What type of photography were you interested in?

Kelly Baxter

Advisor Member
Hi Mrnace, I can't help but wonder, what would your life look like if everything were working?

William Martinez

Advisor Member
I applaud u Mrnace for including your passion in your life despite having to continue to work a less desirable job to financially support youself. A lot of people work a job they are not happy with,but most forget to inject what there passionate about in there lives, and are left miserable. You are ahead of most:)

Chris Desatoff

Advisor Member
@Chris Desatoff

I totally get where you are coming from there. Its hard to just start a biz and expect to be able to make enough money straight away.

Its all about buidling a client base and a reputation as a photographer. Its all well and good doing the odd wedding and birthday party, but as you found out, they are not enough.

What type of photography were you interested in?
Haha, yeah, I did some occasional weddings and parties and some charity fundraising events. But those were here and there. Most of the work I did was concert photography and pet photography.

Mrnace

@Chris Desatoff Nice mate.

I know a couple of photographers that struggle to find enough work to live off. Its a shame, because they are awesome at it and work hard.

And to everybody else, thanks for the kind words.

My book is also nearly complete too. Its being proof read as we speak, and as soon as that is done, I'll need you guys to give some feedback on it.

Who fancies a pdf free copy?

Chris Desatoff

Advisor Member
@Chris Desatoff Nice mate.

My book is also nearly complete too. Its being proof read as we speak, and as soon as that is done, I'll need you guys to give some feedback on it.

Who fancies a pdf free copy?
Sure, I'll give it a read. I'll go sub your site, and you can grab my email from there.

Ricky O' Shea

My biggest passion is music. Been producing music digitally since I was knee high to a grasshopper but making a living at it is pretty tough. I mainly use music as an escape from the hustle and bustle of life, something I do in my spare time for pure enjoyment. I am blessed in the sense that my second biggest passion, writing, is my source of income. I manage several blogs and run newsletters so I get plenty of web space to document my ideas.

Everybody wants to have a career built around their passion because then you stop working and just playing. You don't feel putting in all those efforts in. You can hardly wait to go back to work.

However, building this kind of businesses takes time. If you have a day job you should come and work after hours. The good news is that today you can monetize everything. Girls writing about cosmetics, movies reviews, buying stuff and then show people what you just bought - it's crazy) There wasn't a better time ever to monetize your passion, ever.

So, let's roll up our sleeves and start working, cause too many people want the same things in life that we want and we better be first and be better.

thedigger0

Hey Nathan,

I left a message on your blog. But I am with you self development is my niche. I find it easy to talk about what I have learnt about. Or should I stumbled and fell, dragged my knees through the dirt to get to recognising what I have learnt.

The difference in how we see working for others and doing what we love is so different. I work longer hours for myself and can fill up every spare minute, but working for someone else is just plain old tough. So your post really resonated with me. Thanks for the write up.