Has anyone paid $1000-$2000 (or more) for an online course?

There are a few online courses that I've been really interested in by a few prominent influencers in my areas of expertise/interest. These courses have amazing reviews and success stories by former students, and there's a high probability that I'll get more than my return on investment after taking the course. However, these courses are pretty expensive - on average around $2000.

Despite all the great reviews and success stories and a great chance that I'll elevate my career provided I put in the work, that's still a significant amount of money and I'm finding it impossible to get one of these courses.

I think my mindset is that there's plenty of freely available material that I can get online. The problem is that while there's a ton of material on the Internet, quite frankly there's also a lot of garbage to sift through. I can see where paying thousands on a course to get solid material from a proven expert in your field would help, which is why I'd love to buy into these courses. Still, the hesitation remains for me.

In any case, my question here is, has anyone spent thousands on an online course for whatever they were interested in? Was shelling out a huge amount of money worth it in the long run?

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi Dennmart, I am thinking of taking an online course, myself, but if I am going to do it, I will try to find a free professional online course. You can find such free professional courses at the site called "www.futurelearn.com" . That site provides a wide range of free interesting, yet professional, online courses in many fields.

In relation to me, to spend such money on an online course is not preferred even if I have that quantity of money because I think although online courses, which are provided with professionals, are very helpful in many ways and are also interesting, they lack the advantage of the face to face contact both to the lecturer and to the subject of study. I mean it lacks the practical part of studying which is very important in the results of the study. So, in my opinion, if you have that deal of money, you can have "alive" course not an online course.

However, I believe also that the value of money should be relatively estimated. I mean I believe that sometimes, something I wish to have or to do, is very valuable and more precious to me than the treasures of the worlds and so if there is no other way in front of me to have it or to do it other than losing all the treasures of the world, supposing I have it, I would not hesitate to lose it. In other words, try to decide which is more valuable to you that amount of money or that online course.

My advice to you is to first look inside your heart to evaluate how much you are interested in the subject of that course, then if you find yourself, truly interested in it, look for all the ways in front of you to have that course. Then if you find that there is no other way to have it with the same quality as in that online course but with less money (or free), then go for that online course.

I think that, after all, if a person is not really interested in something, there would be a very small probability for it to have a positive effect on any of their life aspects whether it is a work aspect or a personal aspect.

I think also, that a person's pure heart voice is provided by God (Allah) for them to guide to the right path in their lives. So, always listen to the pure voice of your heart, but always be sure it is the pure voice and it is not polluted by any kind of external confusion and you will find that your mind will agree with it because your mind knows that your heart pure voice is the only voice you should follow.

Last edited:
Elhama, thank you for your very thoughtful reply.

Thanks for sharing that resource for online courses. I had never heard of them before, but they seem to have a lot of content so I'll be looking into them. I usually try to avoid free or low-priced courses because the quality of the content tends to be low for those kinds of courses.

I also prefer classroom courses as well. Unfortunately, I'm living in Japan and while my Japanese is okay, I'm not yet at the point of being able to understand a lot from a professional course in that language.

I agree with you - I always try to keep in mind to follow my feelings as they usually tend to be correct (even when I try to ignore it). It's sometimes a bit difficult to distinguish what my heart or my head is saying, though!

Elhama

Coaching Member
Dennmart, you welcome. I once tried the "futurelearn" site it and they provided me with a free online course by very professional experts so there might be a good chance that you will not have a quality problem there. I hope you find the subject of the course you are interested in among the courses they offer and I hope it will be helpful for you.

I think we all have such moments where external factors mix things in the heart and in the mind and make us become confused. I have leaned that the trick to overcome that is to try to reach to a moment of an inner peace to realize things clearly enough. For me, that usually happen after meditation by contacting God "Allah" through prayers or reading His holy book "Quran". Whenever you feel such confusion, try to find the things that make you find your inner peace for a better clear insight in order to decide well and good luck.

Last edited:

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Hello Denmart, I have invested $1300 into an online course for running an ecommerce store. As I am 21 years old and work a min wage casual job that is a high investment for me.
Do I think it was worth it? Yes

For me, the major things I love about this course isn't the opportunity to make money, it's the opportunity to grow myself as a person and entrepreneur. There is a mastermind group with hundreds of people who study the course, I met a friend through this and it is absolutely great to have someone to talk too besides myself about the course.
There are struggles and insecurities, it's not an easy road to take so with someone else's perspective and listening ear the journey as an entrepreneur became a lot easier. I can work harder and stay on topic when I have someone to Mastermind with. So for me being able to connect with like-minded entrepreneurs and push yourself farther then you've ever gone before is worth the investment.

There is also the fact that my mentors have worked hard for years to attain their knowledge, every time I listen to them they drop little nuggets of wisdom I can apply to this or any online business.

In the future I plan to open a health retreat so acquiring business knowledge and skills is far more important to me then a pile of money which will disappear very quickly if I do not have the knowledge to use it correctly. My friend that I met is actually a physiotherapist, so he and I have similar interests and goals for the future. Coincidence? Who knows :)

I have received so many beautiful ideas for running my main business in the future, my online course will provide me the funds to start it and the confidence and experience to excel on my journey!

I wish you all the best with your adventure. My advice is to find what resonates with you, if you find that then you will find joy in your journey and probably learn and achieve things you never thought of before.

Do what you love, believe it will work and conquer the world. May everything go in your favour,
Sarah

Thank you so much for that reply, Sarah! You bring up a lot of great points about investing this amount of money, especially regarding the opportunities that these courses provide to connect you with others who are farther along the path than I am. That's something that I miss a lot, especially since I don't have many chances of feeling like-minded individuals in person who I can communicate with as I mentioned in a previous message. Having access to people like that is probably worth the price of admission alone.

A week or so after writing this post, I eventually did invest $2000 in one course I had been looking at for years. So far, I feel like the knowledge I'm getting and will get by the time I'm through with the course will be totally worth it, and there's a large community of people who are doing amazing things and it makes me want to improve even more. It's still a bit early to be certain but I don't think I'll regret it.

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Wonderful to hear! I hope the course you invested in provides for you and your family for many years to come.

Plus it's always great to make new friends!
You should ask your course advisors if they have live meet-ups every year. Several courses provide it and it would be fantastic to meet and talk with entrepreneurs in person who are passionate about the same course.

You can also ask if there's Skype groups where you can do video-calls with other team members. Talking via facebook and forums is great, but nothing like talking to another human face-to-face and creating a deeper connection.

I'm glad to hear the course has great information and community, all the best with it Dennmart!