Hard To Say I Am Sorry?

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Why is it that we usually find it hard to say these three words: I am sorry? Apologizing is not so cool these days and politicians know this. This is the reason why I salute the Japanese culture because this is part and parcel of their practice to ask for public apology if they created a mistake.

Saying I am sorry is admitting the fact that we made a mistake. And though we know that nobody is perfect, we are also concerned of the aftermath. We are concerned that people might look at us as inferior or not capable of delivering the things we promise. We might felt threatened or vulnerable so saying sorry is something not coming to us naturally.

zararina

Coaching Member
It is hard to say i ma sorry specially if you are not the one who commit mistakes. Some also having hard time to say sorry because of pride. I will definitely say sorry if i know that it is my fault. Saying sorry makes things better and easier.

Cecil Estrera

It is hard to say i ma sorry specially if you are not the one who commit mistakes. Some also having hard time to say sorry because of pride. I will definitely say sorry if i know that it is my fault. Saying sorry makes things better and easier.
I agree, it happens to me most of the time.
Wish I could just let people around me get mad, but somehow you'll be affected as well.
But I try so say sorry as much as I can, specially when I think it's the right thing to do.

Rhygez

Sometimes it's the fear of rejection that makes an apology so hard to say. The prospect of getting a cold shoulder, not being forgiven or losing a friend can understandably be unsettling, especially when it comes from someone you still love, care about and want to maintain a relationship with. Sometimes people feel that initiating an apology is a sign of weakness.

In many instances, when people experience arguments or disagreements there can also be a sense of stubbornness. In many cases, this stubbornness is not simply just a desire to stand up for one's own views, but instead a much stronger desire to be the "winner" of the argument or to be the one who is "right". This is due to the fact that a large number of people use the act of "winning" arguments or discussion as a major source of self esteem.

The result of this is that people don't want to "lose" at arguments, because it means damaging that source of self esteem. In many cases this leads to a desire of not wanting to apologize or admitting of one's own faults.

Generally, I've found the secret to overcoming this issue is learning to believe in something different than the idea of "winning" and "losing" in arguments. For me, I overcame this by believing that arguments come from when I am not at peace with myself or the person I am talking with. When I can comfortably avoid an argument or apologize in an argument without giving up my values I am reestablishing that peace for myself. I then believe that by having that inner peace I am greater person.

francrislee

In my case, I find it easier to say sorry even if I was not the one who committed the mistake. By doing so, when the time of "crises" comes, at least it would be easy for me to defend myself. Its more difficult to apologize if you were the one who committed the mistake because in the first place, it's really your fault and you have no way out but to really say "I'm sorry". :)

Matt

I think it should be cool to say I'm sorry. I don't know what is wrong with it. If you were the one that made the mistake, then you should take responsibility for it. Its not that hard.

francrislee

I think it should be cool to say I'm sorry. I don't know what is wrong with it. If you were the one that made the mistake, then you should take responsibility for it. Its not that hard.
If it's me who need to do it so, I'd definitely say sorry as soon as possible, but for some people who seem to be arrogant and people full of pride, putting myself in their shoes, it would be very hard for them to do so.

It may seem easy for some but difficult as hell to others. The way I see it it's the fear of rejection that makes an apology so hard to say especially when it comes from someone you love, care about and want to maintain a relationship with. For these people initiating an apology and saying sorry at the first place is a sign of weakness.

XoxChrissyxoX

In many instances, when people experience arguments or disagreements there can also be a sense of stubbornness. In many cases, this stubbornness is not simply just a desire to stand up for one's own views, but instead a much stronger desire to be the "winner" of the argument or to be the one who is "right". This is due to the fact that a large number of people use the act of "winning" arguments or discussion as a major source of self esteem.

The result of this is that people don't want to "lose" at arguments, because it means damaging that source of self esteem. In many cases this leads to a desire of not wanting to apologize or admitting of one's own faults.

Generally, I've found the secret to overcoming this issue is learning to believe in something different than the idea of "winning" and "losing" in arguments. For me, I overcame this by believing that arguments come from when I am not at peace with myself or the person I am talking with. When I can comfortably avoid an argument or apologize in an argument without giving up my values I am reestablishing that peace for myself. I then believe that by having that inner peace I am greater person.
I agree with this. I think what makes it hard for me to say I'm sorry sometimes is the fear that the other person will not admit their wrong. Sometimes you are able to see both sides of the story. You can see where you made a mistake and where the other person did as well, but I've experienced times when I've apologized for things and the other person accepted my apology but didn't bother to apologize for what they did and was comfortable just putting the whole thing on me. I've also had my apology thrown back in my face and used as a justification for another person's wrong behavior, which makes it hard for me to apologize.

I've had problems apologizing in my current relationship but we've been attempting to change that and it's easier for me to apologize now. If I know I'm wrong and the other person was innocent it's easier for me to apologize, but if I know both people are wrong, it's a little more difficult.

diamondlisa

The words I am sorry hold as much power as they words I love you. Yet people find them so hard to say. Could it be for fear of rejection? For the fear of the other person not excepting these words? Saying you're sorry is important in help mend a relationship. It tells the other person that you acknowledge your actions and take responsibility to try and correct them.

Empangop

Why is it that we usually find it hard to say these three words: I am sorry? Apologizing is not so cool these days and politicians know this. This is the reason why I salute the Japanese culture because this is part and parcel of their practice to ask for public apology if they created a mistake.

Saying I am sorry is admitting the fact that we made a mistake. And though we know that nobody is perfect, we are also concerned of the aftermath. We are concerned that people might look at us as inferior or not capable of delivering the things we promise. We might felt threatened or vulnerable so saying sorry is something not coming to us naturally.
Saying sorry is like asking for forgiveness. It must be done sincerely. Non-christian finds it hard to say sorry because they are not taught to love. Jesus had stressed so much on the 'Love Thy Neighbor' concept. We cannot love our neighbors if we do not love our God. Being able to say sorry creates positive thought in ourselves and make us living in harmony with God and others around us.