Habits

GJGreyling

Coaching Member
If you want to know why someone is successful all you have to do is look at their habits. What you’ll find is that successful person doesn’t do much different from the average person. All a successful person has is a higher quality of habit and are more consistent in their habits.

These are some of my personal daily habits

· 15 pages a day of a good personal development book

· 1 motivation/instructional CD a day

· 3 km of jogging

I believe the most important aspect to habits is that it must be easy to do every day. It’s more important to have consistency than to do a lot, so quality over quantity. Here is an example, going to the gym for 6 hours a day versus going for 20 min. If you go for 6 hours every day you will begin to hate the pain it brings and you will stop after the first week. Besides nobody has that much spare time anyway. But if you go for 20 min a day that is something that is not going to give you a lot of pain and you can do that for years.

My question to everyone is what are some of your daily habits and how do you believe they contribute to your life, goals and dreams?:D

Joseph

I start my day as follow.
After taking a bath and drinking a cup of coffee I :
  • read and meditate on a section or subject of a good personal development book
  • Read my major goals that I want to achieve( load) and imagine what it will be like achieving my goals
  • after that I write down my goals for the day
  • then start working on them
  • at the end of the day I read my major goals that I want to achieve( load) and imagine what it will be like achieving them.

That's it. Hope it at value to you guys!

Erica Faith

Coaching Member
I have this ritual with the recurring alarm on my phone. I think It's been recurring for over a decade.

I set it to chime at lunch and every 8 p.m.

The first one says, 'Nothing's ever easy," and the other one says, "Have you done all you can?"

I don't even bother to read it. Hearing the chime is a reminder for me to be the best that I could be for the day as well as other days to come.

Great point. Our results and our current state of living is direct result of our rituals and the actions we take each day!
After a hot bath first thing in the morning, there is not much that can happen throughout your day that will significantly bother you. But I like to save that for the pre-sleep unwinding.

What we do within the first 20 minutes after getting out of bed will have a huge impact on how the rest of our day will play out. Our subconscious minds are still highly influenced within this time frame so running straight to the computer or phone to check emails is a dangerous way to start and can fill fill your brain with unnecessary clutter right from the get go. So take the time to train your mind for a productive, clear and focused day. Create space and develop some positive morning rituals that will put you in control before the day gets noisy!

My morning goes something like this:

• Affirmation / positive focus / gratitude
  • Yoga and deep breathing (5 Tibetan Rites)
  • 20 min. meditation
  • 30 min. reading
  • Journaling session (putting thoughts on paper has helped me in very profound ways
These habits performed consistently have done wonders with my energy levels and clarity.
I also like to write down a couple small goals each day. (ex: Give someone a positive compliment)

Chris Desatoff

Advisor Member
I am getting back into a daily morning routine.

Years ago, I started every day by getting up early and spending a good hour or so with my Bible and/or a good personal development book and a cup (or three) of coffee before going in to work. My favorite authors at that time were Brian Tracy, John Maxwell, Larry Winget, and Tony Robbins. All good stuff.

And on this topic of habits for success, I suppose author Stephen Covey is the King.

Today, the morning routine I'm trying to establish is similar -- minus the Bible -- and includes walking for 30 minutes or more.

As for the 20 minutes vs 6 hours in the gym example...

I agree for the most part, but I'd also like to point out another option that might result from spending several hours a day in the gym from Day 1:
  • becoming the most successful bodybuilder of all time
  • possibly followed by becoming the most successful action movie star of all time
  • and maybe even becoming the Governor of California.

There is a guy who did that. ;)

So...throwing yourself whole-heartedly into a new passion won't necessarily lead to burn-out and failure. For some of the most notable people in history, it turned out to be the path to greatness. My point here isnt' to argue or stir things up. But in my 40 years on this beautiful rock, I've learned one more key to success...never rule anything out.

Aloha and good luck to everyone,
Chris

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
Continuing to grow and develop is probably my single greatest habit although not my only one.

Honestly, though, any serious study of successful people more often than not shows they have at least seventy-five high quality traits and habits.

That is a lot of work they do!

Kelly Baxter

Advisor Member
Yes, work smarter not harder. I have a friend who has said this to me on more than one occasion and it took me awhile to figure out what he meant, but when I stopped "working" so hard and started "thinking" and planning "meditating" and releasing any worry and anxiety over what other people thought that I should accomplish in a day my life changed tremendously. Now I accomplish what I feel like I need to and if something does not get done, then tomorrow is another day. After all, I'm the boss. I still love a deadline, because it keeps me honest, but I've truly learned how to work smarter instead of harder and I've gotta tell you that LIFE'S GOOD!!!

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
I think it's work smarter and harder. It is still work, after all. So I include the hard part within work. WORK smart. There is hard work.

Kelly Baxter

Advisor Member
Thanks Toby, I never meant to imply that there was no work involved, there has to always be work, a lot of it is in your attitude what type of work it is. And working smarter not harder to me is in less hours of toil and more hours of bliss. Taking time to rest is a must, but I think we all know that you can't sit on the couch doing nothing for hours on end and hope that something will happen, you have to take action. Hope and Faith is a huge part of the equation, and you have to sort out your priorities, and you have to........the list goes on. We only get 24 hours in a day and tomorrow is not promised. Bottom line, arrange your priorities to make the most of what is important to you :)

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
I didn't think you did, just wanted to clarify it though.