Habit building is an important skill, Tell me some success stories!

Hi Everyone,

I'm coming out with a blog post about habits pretty soon. I'd love to hear some of your success stories about building new habits or getting rid of bad ones.

I am an avid coffee drinker, drinking 2-3 cups per day. After watching a documentary on sugar decided to cut down on my sugar intake. I stopped putting sugar in my coffee a few years ago and have never looked back. All it took was a three-week trial run, which was slightly difficult. At the end of three weeks I tried having sugar in my coffee again, and to my surprise, I didn't like the taste!

I think it is important to be aware of our habits and cultivate them towards our greater goals by fostering useful habits and suppressing harmful ones.

What are some of your habit success stories?

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Not putting sugar in my coffee is easy, I don't like coffee!

I prefer tea, black or herbal with nothing added :)

For me, one of the hardest habits to make was exercising regularly. I enjoy martial arts, however finding a gym I feel both comfortable and welcome is hard. So I decided to exercise at a park as I love sunshine and fresh air. (I normally don't like being in a stuffy gym and most places make me uncomfortable :) )

I had to exercise in the mornings as I worked the afternoon and night shift so that was the only time I had available. However as I'm in Australia it often gets very hot very quickly, so I had to get out of bed early in the morning 7am-8am to exercise.

Struggle is, I've never been a morning person. I decided to change my sleeping habits first till I was waking up at 6-7. Breakfast is something easy like fruit that can typically be eaten as is. This meant I was all ready to go to the park.

I had bad days where I didn't want to go, so I'd often trick myself :) "I'll do five minutes then stop" and in most cases I would stay the full thirty minutes. Even if I only did 5 mins I was happy that I'd made the effort.

My favourite thing to do after was grab a book out of my bag and learn something new for the day.
Or perhaps I would meditate and enjoy the beautiful calm atmosphere.

My advice is trick yourself, start small and keep going!

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg is my go-to book whenever someone asks me about habit change. If you haven't read that book, I highly suggest you begin reading it before publishing your blog post! I've taken the book's main message of the book and applied it successfully to many different areas of my life.

A very brief summary is that habits are a loop consisting of a cue (something that starts the habit), a routine (the thing you do) and a reward (what feels good when you're done). The loop basically goes "When <cue> happens, I will do <routine> in order to get <reward>". This applies for both good habits and bad ones too. To break out of it, you basically need to identify all three parts, and then find something to substitute the routine while keeping the same cue and reward. The book's main example is someone who's gained a lot of weight. Every day they were eating chocolate chip cookies at work and wanted to break out of that habit. After some introspection they determined that the habit loop was "At 2:30, I go to the cafeteria to get a chocolate chip cookie so I can stop by my co-worker's desk and talk". After figuring out the cue (every day at 2:30) and the reward they were seeking (talking with someone), they experimented with changing the routine to go directly to a co-worker's desk. The cue and the reward remained the same, but now they weren't eating junk food every day, and it eventually helped them be healthier.

Of course, there's a lot more to it. I can't recommend this book enough. The book focuses on habit change but it also applies to habit formation as well once you know how the loop works.

denydritz

Coaching Member
I learn from a couple of multimillionaires that a very important habit to build is a morning routine (which in itself can consist of several habits rolled into one sequence). My morning routine involves praying, reading scripture, meditating (with music), and studying about the laws of success.

I feel that doing my morning routine means I am ready for the day, as I take care of my mental and physical well-being. It has been a habit for a few years now, although sometimes I slip and I don't do the routine. Still, morning routines are definitely a habit I recommend anyone to build, if you don't have one in place already.

Cheers!

Mick IOM

Advisor Member
A bunch of good other habits spiraled out of my habit of working out, whether it was running or fitness.

I started learning about nutrition and macro's and how to exercise properly. Through this I came in touch with personal development book, which got me hooked to reading.

Because of a lot experimenting, I'm now permanently intermittent fasting (some off days though). This means that I don't eat anything in a normally 16-hour timeframe. The energy I get from this in the morning is absolutely insane.

Besides that I've not got my own morning routine in which I do exercise, meditate, read, daily goal setting and a short exercise of gratitude. This way I set myself up for a great day because I've knocked out everything that's important to me early on.

If you're interested in more information you can pick up my ebook in the link down below. I highly recommend a morning routine because if you do things first thing in the morning, it becomes difficult to procrastinate on it.

All the best,
Mick