Goal oriented vs System oriented

perfectlytoned

Hi Guys,

I know some people are goal oriented such Tim Ferriss and some are system oriented like Scott Adams. Which model has worked for you so far? I have just been wondering if we can have a hybrid like have a goal, create a system but put a stake on the system so that you will succeed no matter what. I got the idea of stake from DiSSS of Tim Ferriss.

Thanks in advance.

Rinat Saber

Love this question perfectlytoned!

Having a hybrid of Goals and Systems is a wise idea for a couple of reasons.

1. GOALS:
The pros of goals is that you have clarity about that you want and when you want to achieve it.
This gives your mind a target, which is better than just letting life pass you by.

However, the limitation of goals, I notice in my personal experience, is that it says nothing of the process that produces the result.

Example:
You want to loose 20 lbs. of fat by 5/5/2017. Great!
Having a goal is not going to give you that result.
The process of consistently working out 3-4 days a week for 45 min. and eating in a calorie deficit is going to produce that result.

If all you do is focus your mind on the goal, but don't implement the process you will not be able to achieve the goal. Right?

2. SYSTEMS:
What I love about Scott Adams' systems approach is it PRESUPPOSES a PROCESS.
If you workout 3-4 days a week and eat at a calorie deficient the result will be INEVITABLE.

Furthermore, as Adam makes the case, systems bypass the limited supply of willpower required by goals.
Finally, systems give overall success that translate tother areas of life.
Working-out at a regular time may causes you to organize other areas of life.
You may go to sleep at 9 pm because your workout starts at 6am the next day.
Systems affect systems.
The benefits can be compounding.

If we 80/20 this hybrid. I'd do 20% Goals and 80% Systems.

Hope that help perfectlytoned!

What do you guys thing?

Have you experienced the same challenges with goals that I have?

Can you see the powerful potential of systems?