Getting Over the Past is Difficult

digitalbrew

Let me give you a scenario for instance... Would you still be in a relationship with a person who has killed someone? Let's say he just admitted it to you recently. Will you still be able to accept this?

Why not discuss about it in a lighter manner... what if this person did something that's makes him/her completely unacceptable with your principles and beliefs... say kill an animal cruelly?

What would you do?

Jessi

I don't feel like those things are about "getting over the past."

If someone does some of those things (like killing animals) then it says stuff about their personality and character. It's not usually a one time thing that you can simply 'get over' but is about the person as a whole.

pafjlh

Well, if it were acts of cruelty I certainly wouldn't be able to live with it. After all this would tell me exactly what type of person they truly are. I think I would have to end the relationship because if they have this sort of temper that they have so far concealed from me, it would leave me to wonder what else they were capable of. I think I could move beyond a situation where the person did something unintentionally and still lived with the guilt over it. This would tell me that they do indeed have a conscience and still feel bad for the horrible mistake that they made.

Dorothy

This something that would be unacceptable for me, sounds like he could have anger issues and if he could do something like that to an animal there is no telling what he is capable of.

A

artistry

If this was an intentional act, then no, I would have to end the relationship. The person has some serious issues that they need to deal with. Animals represent life, they should not be abused or killed. So if this is the case, you might need to suggest anger management classes and then separate yourself. Life is tough, sometimes you have to make choices which do not make you happy. Good luck.