Frenemy

Dreek Lass

When I first heard the term 'frenemy,' I immediately knew what it meant, and had thought that it was a pretty cool portmanteau of two words to create one. I have seen many of my friends engage in relationships where they are not friends with this person, and this person is not friends with them either, but they will still keep up the facade of being friends because both or one want something from the other person.

It's quite disturbing to watch, in my opinion. I would never seek to subject myself to such a 'friendship.'

Do you have any frenemies?

pafjlh

I remember the first time I heard this word, my brother was the one to use it. I actually laughed at the thought of it that there could be someone in your life that you consider a friend and an enemy. I guess for some people there are those that they just love to hate, and can't seem to get by without having them in their lives. So, I guess that would classify someone as a being both a friend and an enemy in one. As for myself I have never had such a relationship, I have those in my life that I consider true friends, as for my enemies I tend to avoid them.

Dreek Lass

I remember the first time I heard this word, my brother was the one to use it. I actually laughed at the thought of it that there could be someone in your life that you consider a friend and an enemy. I guess for some people there are those that they just love to hate, and can't seem to get by without having them in their lives. So, I guess that would classify someone as a being both a friend and an enemy in one. As for myself I have never had such a relationship, I have those in my life that I consider true friends, as for my enemies I tend to avoid them.
In my opinion, if one of your 'friends' had earned the title of frenemy, then they are not really a friend to begin with?

There are some friends who will tell you negative things about yourself to incite self-improvement from you, because they love you and want to see you do well or doing better than you are currently doing in life. And then there are those friends who thrive off of your misfortunes and just cannot wait to say something negative to you - especially when you are already down in the dumps or stressed about something.

These kind of people are easy to spot, but of course the victim of the frenemy often doesn't want to address the issue, because they have usually known this person for a long time, and don't want to rock the boat.

digitalbrew

The first time I heard this word was when I was watching a teen series. This MTV teen drama is famous for the wittiness of their conversations and is about to air its 3rd season this year.

Personally, I don't like that the term exists because this means that there are such people who are actually like that. It's like a short cut to the age old saying "keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Since I'm a home body, I really don't have any frenemies. Of course, I don't have that many friends either.

selfmade

Yes, I have a frenemy or two on facebook. I keep them because I don't want to be exposed only to the opinions that I agree with. I learn from what they have to say. Also, it gives one a platform from which to speak to others who are different than oneself. I don't want an insulated life.

Dreek Lass

You may not like that the term exists but i think it's good that it does. Say your teenage children are involved in toxic relationships such as this, you want them to be able to aptly identify the type of 'friendship' that they are having, and you want them to be able to recognize that what is going on is unhealthy and essentially not good for them. The word is a portmanteau of two other words, and that seems to be all of the rage as fat as youth go these days too, so I think that it is a helpful that the term exists.

John Tartaglio

When I first heard the term 'frenemy,' I immediately knew what it meant, and had thought that it was a pretty cool portmanteau of two words to create one. I have seen many of my friends engage in relationships where they are not friends with this person, and this person is not friends with them either, but they will still keep up the facade of being friends because both or one want something from the other person.

It's quite disturbing to watch, in my opinion. I would never seek to subject myself to such a 'friendship.'

Do you have any frenemies?
What is frenemies? friend+ enemy or freak+enemies ?

Dreek Lass

What is frenemies? friend+ enemy or freak+enemies ?

The term, frenemy, is a portmanteau of the word 'friend' and 'enemy.' I am sure that you have seen frenemies on television at some point, or even experienced them in real life?I hsve, but I always get out of there before the frenemyship can become harmful or begin to effect me or the other person negatively. They usually get the message and move on to someone else. I deserve real friends and I deserve to know that that friend would be there for me in hard times. Frenemies are not those types of friends that will support you through anything.

zararina

Coaching Member
I think I could say that I do not have a frenemy. Maybe I have some still considered "friends" that I do not enjoy sharing time with since we have different likes or preferences just like where to dine. :p

TheBrit

Not sure about "frenemies", new word but certainly topical in this day and age.
People I used to work with often did become friends. However, if they were just work "friends" more often than not if they came up in an out of work conversation they would be referred to as "my mate" or "my buddy".
Someone who was worked with but not particularly liked would be termed a work "acquaintance".
Of course that is being polite, if it was during a bit of boys banter in the local pub then the terminoligy used would be much more colourful.

Priya32325

FRENEMIES ....Everyone has at least one. They want to be close to you to know whats going on in your life but really not happy about something good happening.You kind of judge these people if they are in your life. I normally make distance and tell them what I want them to know nothing more than that . Start avoiding after all you want to be with people who keep your battery charge not drain it out :)