Foods That Can Help Fight Depression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AmazingP, Nov 5, 2011. Replies: 14 | Views: 2450

1. AmazingP

AmazingP Advisor Member

[​IMG]

Do you have depression? Then it would be good for you to know that necessary dietary changes can help people who are into mild to moderate depression. We should then take a look at our diet so that they can help us get relief.

The popular oats is rich in alkaloids, B vitamins, sponins and flavonoids and these nutrients can combat depressive moods. A plant called basil can offer a vital substance named basil camphor that got antidepressant potential.

You can also consume more broccoli, Brussels sprouts, beetroot and asparagus because these are good sources of folate and B vitamins. Choose those breakfast cereals fortified with folic acid.

Vitamin B6 can convert a substance called tryptophan into serotonin that can effectively uplift our mood. Foods like cod, turkey, wholemeal products, bananas and beef can be rich in B6.

Our foods can indeed be our first line of defense and can act as our primary medicine. :D :D

msuccess likes this.

2. amy005

amy005 Member

It makes sense that foods that contain B vitamins fight depression. I also knew that taking a B complex supplement helped me to get out of my depression. I also have at least 2 bananas a day.. which are actually pretty filling as well as make me feel good.

3. zararina

zararina Coaching Member

Good to know all those possible anti depressant foods specially if we prefer natural products or ways to deal with it. Also those given foods are healthy just like the given vegetables. Personally, I find eating chocolates and some of my favorite dishes helps me feel better. And I think eating what foods we love could also help fight depression just like doing what we love makes us happy. Just of course be more on the healthier food options.

Angie Necole likes this.
  4. summerRain

summerRain Member

Thank you for sharing this information about foods that can help fight depression. Whenever I am depressed, I usually eat variety of foods. Eating is my diversion activity. I love to eat ice cream and chocolates, and different foods that my eyes can see on the fridge. :D

5. AmazingP

AmazingP Advisor Member

We have the same way of dealing depression. When I was just in college, whenever I thought I was having a mild depression, I ate a lot and the result was not nobody would be believing that I was carrying an emotional burden because I look good physically. Oh well...:D :D

6. summerRain

summerRain Member

Well, the reason is we enjoy eating and we put all the stress and depression that we are experiencing. :) At least we have a good way to deal with stress. We are not depressed all the time, so forgetting about the diet every once in a while is fine. :D

7. Yolanda

Yolanda Member

Early intervention
    I love threads like this because they tell you which things can help fight a certain ailment, instead of telling you what not to do. Essentially, you want to know which things you should do. It's a lot more effective. I've heard that too much sugar can make you depressed, but I never head of foods that can help fight/prevent it. Most of these types of food are already in my regular diet, but it never hurts to know! Thanks so much for sharing!

8. AmazingP

AmazingP Advisor Member

Well, at least we won't get hungry while still battling depression. Eating something can in fact help us because I think it can release some chemical in our body that uplift our mood. This is better than some people who might have a problem in eating some foods while being depressed. :D

9. amy005

amy005 Member

I just thought I would add I found out recently that studies have shown probiotics help with depression as well. We all know that probiotics most commonly found in yogurt can help with digestion but the study showed it also has been proven to help with depression and anxiety. “Bifidobacteria (strains of this bacteria is found in probiotics) appears to increase levels of tryptophan in the brain, a chemical that "helps people feel better."

10. stranger_47

stranger_47 Member

thanks, i will try it, since i got mild depression triggered.
    (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

11. Angie Necole

Angie Necole Advisor Member

Don't forget fruit! They give a natural sugar high and because they are more dense in calories, they really satisfy you.

Dennielle Lee likes this.
  12. Dennielle Lee

Dennielle Lee Advisor Member

Self-employed
    Well said. Focusing on positive steps we can take to make our lives better brings a lot more benefit than focusing solely on what to avoid.

13. saminfinityillusion

saminfinityillusion Member

Self-Employed
    Now I have no qualifications to be giving exercise or nutrition advice to anyone, but if I could say one thing to those of you who are overweight it would be this, just start eating less than your maintenance calories and you will lose weight

https://infinityillusion.com/never-gain-weight/

14. Ry!

Ry! Member

There's been studies that link fruit intake with general happiness increasing rather linearly with increased fruit intake up to 4 portions of fruit IIRC. I'll see if I can find the study, but regardless everyone should try to eat more fruit in their diet for variety of reasons, happiness being one of them.

EDIT: Found one that states that fruit and vegetables up to 8 portions per day increased general life satisfaction. Maybe I miss remembered, or perhaps I was thinking of a different study, but this shows the same thing.

http://www.andrewoswald.com/docs/ajphactualJuly2016fruitandvegOswaldFinalProofs.pdf

15. brettany bates

brettany bates New Member

Thanks for sharing this list of multi vitamin food that helps us from depression.There are also other some list of food that helps in beating with depression.Green leafy vegetables,walnuts,Berries,Avocado,Mushroom,Onions,Tomatoes,Beans,seeds and apples