Fearing of never achieving your dreams.

I love reading books and I've found what I like doing, which is writing. Why am I so paralyzed by this fear of not succeeding in this carrer path I'm trying to make? Why do I always compare myself to many other writers, and therefore think I can never achieve what I've set myself to? I need some opinions on this, it is very appreciated from my side.

Thanks.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Pursue your passion of writing without panicking or worrying about comparing yourself to other writers. Keep in mind that you're not in competition with other authors. If you do your job and write enough good books, things should fall in place.

Michael_Lost

I got the same with making video's. It is a really really good sign that you have so much fear surrounding writing because that means you really care about it. Most of the time is not the thing that comes the easiest that we should do. It's the thing that we fear most.

The thing is to just start doing. Nobody starts out a genius... On top of that a lot of artist get s**t and rejected and later they get praised so don't look at other people and what they think.

The book The War Of Art by Steven Pressfield is all about this topic I recommend it, pure gold for artists. He talks about block a time in the day off where he just sits for an hour and writes, sometimes he writes gold sometimes trash but he always writes. If you do it like this you don't have to think about all the consequences and fears it's just about this one hour.