Fakes smiles in salespeople

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I think some people in retail sales should read this article. So many of them flash a smile at you and ask how your day is going or something like that, but it's so obvious when they are just going through the motions because they are supposed to. When one of them is genuine, it really shows, I don't know what it is, maybe body language and their energy. It's interesting to see that their fakeness can actually have the opposite effect on themselves, so definitely seems a good idea to find some way inside yourself to actually have a positive mindset. I'll still smile back to them even if fake and answer their questions, at least they are trying but I kind of feel sorry for them to have to fake it with every customer, and some will be rude anyway I'm sure.

Edit: title should have been "Fake smiles" but too late...

radascars

Advisor Member
I too make fake smiles often especially with my patients, I need to keep my aura positive to cheer up my futile patients. Its really hard to smile sometimes when you feel so tired and exhausted, but I need to because when patients see a person smiling at them they tend to have a reason to smile also. :)

moon

I usually do not like salespeople trying to talk to me when I am browsing around or checking their product. I know that its their job to talk and help people to buy their stuff but in my case, it is only hindering me to buy any product. I am not shy but the feeling that somebody is looking at your every move is making my unease. Salespeople smiling makes things worse. It ads to my irritability.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I too make fake smiles often especially with my patients, I need to keep my aura positive to cheer up my futile patients. Its really hard to smile sometimes when you feel so tired and exhausted, but I need to because when patients see a person smiling at them they tend to have a reason to smile also. :)
The patient draws from your strength. If you were to really tell them the futility of the situation or the hopelessness, they might give up the fight to live and just lay there not eating until they passed on. It helps to keep a positive attitude as you said around the patients, even if that means pasting on a happy face and fake smile.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I usually do not like salespeople trying to talk to me when I am browsing around or checking their product. I know that its their job to talk and help people to buy their stuff but in my case, it is only hindering me to buy any product. I am not shy but the feeling that somebody is looking at your every move is making my unease. Salespeople smiling makes things worse. It ads to my irritability.
I can put up with them approaching me one time, however there is this one store I frequent where as I browse around different areas of the store, it can happen as often as 3 times where a salesperson asks me "can I help you find anything". That seems excessive.

Recently my wife had a store security person follow her around for no apparent reason, and she even heard them talking about her on a walkie talkie. It scared her at first because she thought some strange man was following her. Again they are just doing their jobs but these sorts of things can cause lost customers despite their intentions.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
That's great that you do this, in your profession it's so important. The few times I've been in a hospital the staff there have always been positive and cheerful, and was so much needed in what was otherwise a depressing and scary environment. If they were faking it I couldn't tell, unlike the ones at the fast food window, I think a lot of people in the health career field truly like to help people.

radascars

Advisor Member
I guess its really helped me a lot to be positive, smiling is an effective way also to relieve some stress in your body. And keeping smiling at my work makes my day job more easier than being in a negative mood. :(

I agree with you, even if we have too many works to finish we truly like to help and care for people that needs medical care. :)

fsxss

It's usually too obvious when their smiles are fake, but in the end it works as long as their speech isn't exaggerated as well. By keeping a constant, even if fake, smile they'll make you feel subconsciously better because the whole interaction with them will have a nice tone to it. Hopefully, you'll be conscious of how fake it is and it won't impact your buying decisions as much as a real smile would.

radascars

Advisor Member
It's hard to smile when you're having a bad day, but I prefer to see one than a grumpy, disinterested look.
Its not really hard to smile even if you feel like your having a bad day. You just need to relax and control your emotions and try to smile as much as you can, trying and trying will bring you positive thoughts and it in the end you find your self smiling naturally. :D

Oh! That's awful. I hope your patients don't realize you're faking it.hihihi...:rolleyes: But I do get you, sometimes you need to hide what you really feel to maintain composure and so as not to offend anyone. I do it, too. :oops:

radascars

Advisor Member
Oh! That's awful. I hope your patients don't realize you're faking it.hihihi...:rolleyes: But I do get you, sometimes you need to hide what you really feel to maintain composure and so as not to offend anyone. I do it, too. :oops:
Yes, sometimes when you are having a bad mood and you need to assess a lot of patients in the hospital its very hard to maintain the smile in your face.

lockirawr

Honestly, fake smiles hurt. To show people that I'm happy when inside I'm really dieing or tired. On the other hand, I think fake smiles help. When you're down, it really isn't the best to act all sad and lazy. Not wanting to do anything. It's better to hold your head up high and keep moving on. When I see a salesperson hold a fake smile, I just ignore them. I've given fake smiles before in my workplace because there's no point in spreading my sad energy around. It's not like I'm going to hold it in forever. I do my best to resolve problems, but not bring it in to my workplace.

I personally am a salesperson and have done the 'fake smile' trick a couple of times. This being said, I try to be genuine to all customers because in the end, they are not merely customers, but people as well. I try to joke and smile sincerely, cracking some jokes once in a while. I reuse the good jokes, making them better and more concise each time. It can be good experience if you are passionate about taking the time to talk to the person behind the customer.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
We could never blame these people to be smiling all day though all of us know that they are just faking the whole thing. They are paid to do it so we will just leave them to do their job. It would be worse if these people would keep on frowning on their customers everyday...at least even a fake smile is still a smile. And since we usually don't know these salespeople personally, then we could never expect nay demand that they change their fake smiles into something genuine. Having said that, it would be a big different if one of our friends is sporting a false smile just to satisfy us. Now, that would be a big issue.

speedy

Advisor Member
I think some people in retail sales should read this article. So many of them flash a smile at you and ask how your day is going or something like that, but it's so obvious when they are just going through the motions because they are supposed to. When one of them is genuine, it really shows, I don't know what it is, maybe body language and their energy. It's interesting to see that their fakeness can actually have the opposite effect on themselves, so definitely seems a good idea to find some way inside yourself to actually have a positive mindset. I'll still smile back to them even if fake and answer their questions, at least they are trying but I kind of feel sorry for them to have to fake it with every customer, and some will be rude anyway I'm sure.

Edit: title should have been "Fake smiles" but too late...
Yes, I've noticed that as well but sometimes I ignored them and just thinking that they might tired of standing for how many long hours. Right, we can definitely identify that a smile is fake or not. Genuine smile is fully of energy and their body tell it as well. Fake only appears upon costumer's entrance and its gone after few minutes go. I understand is that easy though they are doing much. I guess, standing for how many is somehow losses their smiles.

radascars

Advisor Member
We could never blame these people to be smiling all day though all of us know that they are just faking the whole thing. They are paid to do it so we will just leave them to do their job. It would be worse if these people would keep on frowning on their customers everyday...at least even a fake smile is still a smile. And since we usually don't know these salespeople personally, then we could never expect nay demand that they change their fake smiles into something genuine. Having said that, it would be a big different if one of our friends is sporting a false smile just to satisfy us. Now, that would be a big issue.
I totally agree with you, knowing that they are doing their job nice and always smiles fake or not it is really something that they are doing the very best as much as they can to earn. I understand those people as I am doing that too most of the time. :(

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I totally agree with you, knowing that they are doing their job nice and always smiles fake or not it is really something that they are doing the very best as much as they can to earn. I understand those people as I am doing that too most of the time. :(
Thanks for agreeing with me, Rad. As part of the service industry, you know first hand how it is to be always nice even though there are people who are hard to deal with. It's just a job, nothing personal! And since it is just part of the job, then we better play it right. By the way, your profile picture is smiling -- is that fake or genuine?

radascars

Advisor Member
By the way, your profile picture is smiling -- is that fake or genuine?
I really don't know but I feel that's a lovely smile as my girlfriend is the one who made the shot right :)
I always smile to people I am talking to fake or not I got used to this mannerism I guess.

zararina

Coaching Member
I guess a real smile would be coming from a sales person who really likes his job. It is hard to work with a smile in the face if we are tired and exhausted or there are problems. But i guess it will show naturally if we love what we are doing and if we are dedicated to reach that target sales.:D