Does Some Personal Development Lead Us To Believe Life Should Be Roses All The Time?

Ally Mckean

Coaching Member
On our own unique personal development journey it may seem we are given the idea that we can create a life where all is dandy, all the time.

This is not realistic. The Yin can't exist without the Yang.

What I've found doing P.D. regularly over a long period, (ok, a year is not that long...), is the only thing I can control is me. Therefore my response to whatever comes my way, good and bad.

Taking that level of responsibility has freed up my thinking, my relationships, my direction in life, the way I see myself and the way I see others.

I'll note here that my life sure has been enhanced beyond my expectations by P.D. And that happy, laughing, connected family unit (mostly seen in photos only - I always felt slightly envious of), is now more a picture of me with my family, today.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the power of P.D. that educates: adversity comes with successes and both should be expected and embraced.

Embrace the 'losses' as much as the wins and see the incredible opportunities that come with any change.

Whatever you do, don't despair at a negative event, rather, sit quietly somewhere as soon as you can and think about the positives, you'll always find them!

Embrace those instead! Give them your energy rather than giving your energy to the negatives.

The concept of duality is a very interesting thing. On the one hand, we know that every happiness is followed by unhappiness. And vice versa. And yet what these spiritual teachers are teaching us is that we can look at the negatives as if they don't exist. Simply by taking our attention off of our losses and direct our focus on the positive, we have the ability to take positive circumstances in our life and make them bigger and brighter until they suppress the negatives. There is a saying that for the darkness to disappear, just a little speck of light is needed. To me it sounds a little paradoxical. On the one hand, we are saying that the duality cannot be escaped. On the other, we are saying that by taming our minds, we will cultivate in ourselves the ability to experience everlasting happiness in the now, fever until we are on this planet.

Maybe with a continuous practice it is possible to be always happy.