Does anyone else love learning new things in their leisure time?

Usually when I think of what other people imagine their best leisure time to be, it's sitting back and relaxing, not doing much. Maybe they watch a movie, go hang out with friends etc. But for me I really love learning. I am always learning about something new, just for the fun of it.

I am an avid fan of watching documentaries on a wide variety of topics; science, current events, music, business, history, technology etc. So much so that sometimes I find it hard to find new things to watch! I've been really into Dutch State TV documentaries recently.

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9sXw4ZdPEIp6bYGvLW-_iA

Super interesting content, very forward thinking. As long as subtitles don't bother you. (which they don't for me, much prefer them to dubbing over)

I am also learning French on Duolingo and am by their calculation 62% fluent apparently. :) I don't feel quite that fluent, but I can read french fairly well now at least.

Does anyone else love learning as much as I do in their leisure time?

I love learning new things all the time. Whether it be related to my career as a software engineer, learning Japanese since it's a necessity while living in Japan, or just diving into topics that I find interesting, I'm always looking for something new to spend my free time on.

Lately, though, I feel like it's been a bit of a burden. I find myself with an ever-increasing amount of material, both free and paid, that I've been accumulating but I simply don't have time to go through even half of them. So I've had to be extremely selective with what I choose here. It can sometimes lead to feeling like I chose the wrong thing or like I'm missing out on something (the ol' FOMO). I've had to work on that quite a bit and it's been a lot better. I've accepted that time is finite and I won't have enough of it to do everything so things will either have to wait or be discarded. It's actually been liberating, to be honest.

I wonder if anyone has this same feeling as well.

I love learning new things all the time. Whether it be related to my career as a software engineer, learning Japanese since it's a necessity while living in Japan, or just diving into topics that I find interesting, I'm always looking for something new to spend my free time on.

Lately, though, I feel like it's been a bit of a burden. I find myself with an ever-increasing amount of material, both free and paid, that I've been accumulating but I simply don't have time to go through even half of them. So I've had to be extremely selective with what I choose here. It can sometimes lead to feeling like I chose the wrong thing or like I'm missing out on something (the ol' FOMO). I've had to work on that quite a bit and it's been a lot better. I've accepted that time is finite and I won't have enough of it to do everything so things will either have to wait or be discarded. It's actually been liberating, to be honest.

I wonder if anyone has this same feeling as well.
Yeah totally! Everyone only has 24 hours in the day, there's no way you can do everything. Sometimes it's more about just making a choice than making the "right" choice. You could spend your whole life trying to make the "perfect" choice but really you would just be wasting a bunch of time. Pick a few things that you like and stick with it.

People keep recommending me show to watch and I'm just thinking: "alright, I'm sure it really is a great show. But I already have 2-3 other great shows that I'm watching. " There's no way to keep up, but that's ok!

Elhama

Coaching Member
You could spend your whole life trying to make the "perfect" choice but really you would just be wasting a bunch of time. Pick a few things that you like and stick with it.
Hi Iain, I, to some extent, agree with you that looking to make the perfect choice is a waste of time because nothing is truly perfect, and I like to add that when you want to learn, pick only the most lovable subjects to your heart because those the things that you are really interested in and they will by a way or another make your life be much happier and much better.

Last edited:
Hi Iain, I, to some extent, agree with you that looking to make the perfect choice is a waste of time because nothing is truly perfect, and I like to add that when you want to learn, pick only the most lovable subjects to your heart because those the things that you are really interested in and they will by a way or another make your life be much happier and much better.
Yeah, do what you love for sure. Just don't get bogged down thinking that you have to make a "perfect" choice. Chances are you'll love 5 things and only be able to do 2-3 of them.

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Learning often is my leisure time. It's great to expand ourselves and become a better person.

Documentaries are fun. My favourite would be nature documentaries, then to head outside and see nature in all its glory. Quite beautiful

My other favourite habit is books. Ahh if it wasn't for libraries I'd always be broke, I typically read several books a week so it'd be hard to keep up lol. Plus trying to move house when you're a bookaholic is crazy. (Thankfully I only have 5 boxes so far ;)