Does anyone else have trouble with priorities that change in the course of a day?

Does anyone else have trouble with priorities that change in the course of a day? Do you have tips/suggestions or examples you would like to share? My kids are at home sick with the flu and I'm starting to not feel so good as well, I was planning on working today but only getting a tiny bit done.

namktqs

Coaching Member
You have priority to take care for your children, then do what you want or love. Remember your children need you first.

Of course, kids are 1st priority. I'm actually writing a blog on this. I'm a time management coach and wanted to see if anyone else had any comments or ideas. I also mean changing priorities in the workplace as well, as an example I'm also a website designer/admin assistant and when a client hasan urgent problem that comes up and you have other important tasks to do. How do you handle it or schedule yourself so you can still get things accomplished?

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Only the individual can make your priorities and there is no one way to prioritize a life since we all half different internal callings of importance. Some may say I need to be with the kids because they are my priority others may say I need to work to provide because my kids are my priority. Neither are wrong since it is their life.

A strong (not rigid) set of priorities does however make life easier. I would suggest setting a strong all encompassing set of 3 while style remaining flexible to life's unknowns.

This is how it looks for me and how it makes my life easier.

In this order I prioritize God, Family, Business/money. When it comes to making a decision I use this pecking order. Lets say I have a function for the kids and at the same time a business meeting. My life priority list says simple do the kids activity. Of course life isn't that simple but a top 3 does help. The only thing I want to stress is that whatever choice you make you accept it fully and don't do things with a double mind, I.E stay at home with the kids and ignore them to do work or go to work and think about the kids all day while doing sloppy work. As long as you keep your mind with your body after a choice on priority you will get the most out of life and the respective situation and limit the stress you may feel.

To being the hero of our story,

Jason

I wrote this article on Changing Priorities At Home Or Work. Click here to read.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Great article Melissa. I like the idea because its sound plus it doesn't have a negative pull to it. I've found people that plan for the worst case scenario usually get it, but this strategy allows time to do other task and be more productive if nothing arises. BUFFER TIME!

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks so much! I try to offer solutions that are positive and truly help.

Cynthia

Senior Advisor
You're right that priorities can shift within a day based on what happens. What you've scheduled for a day often has to change when something else comes up.

I've found that making commitments helps in resuming important priorities after interruptions. Even small commitments can help me stay on track.

For example, getting sick or your family getting sick and needing to take care of them, as you put here!

Nik

Did you and your kids experience stress lately?
I strongly believe that our immune system guards both our physical and mental health.
So if you have a lot of things on your mind or if you're experiencing lots of emotions, your immune system is kept busy.
You'll probably understand that your immune system has limited capacity.
Having the flu is mostly a sign by your sub-conscious that you need a brake.

Meditation helps to prevent flu, but you can also use it to heal faster.
It is known that deep relaxation (alpha and theta level) by meditating enhances your ability to heal yourself.
Jose Silva, founder of the Silva Technique, researched it and found that it speeds your self healing by 2-4 times!
There are very nice and creative meditations for kids on YouTube.

If meditation is not for you (yet), then try to avoid thinking about it.
Focus your attention on relaxation (e.g. sleeping) or try to have fun.
Just let go of the thought that there are things that NEED to be done. It's okay.
Kids love to play games.

Samantha

First, don't beat yourself up about priorities that change through the day...it happens, unfortunately, especially when kids are involved (and they should be your first priority). Also, since you are human like all of us, sometimes best laid plans and schedules set first thing in the morning fall apart cause we get discouraged, swayed, distracted...world of technology it happens! :)

Focus on what you were able to get done today, and when priorities change just make sure you get at least one thing done off your to-do list that you wanted, so you don't feel like the day was an epic failure! One thing I've been trying to implement is the No Zero day, which I think a lot of people on here do whether they realize it or not. Basic concept is some days you'll move through and get 100% done towards whatever goals you set for yourself, some days not so much, but just keep one rule in place and whatever happens, don't let any day be a zero day, where there's not a single productive thing that got done that day. But again, priorities change...things happen, just try to promise tomorrow will be a little better! :)

ReachMore_CJ

It seems pretty simple, but I keep a small journal with me at all times. Anything I need to remember or need to accomplish that day enters that journal. When a task is done, I just make a check mark and move onto the next item.

One other idea I can offer up is to take 20 minutes every Sunday and write down your major goals for the week. I used to get to Friday and ask "what the hell happened to the week? What did I accomplish?" SO.... These are items that I need to get done no matter what. Knowing that there will be things that pop up from time to time, I can always reference that weekly task sheet and check them off as I go...