Does age matter?

radascars

Advisor Member
Age doesn't matter. Not to me, at least.

Let me surprise you a little. I'm a 16 years old (almost 17) and I was in a healthy relationship with a girl 8 years older than me. She's 24. Well, yeah.. the relationship didn't work but the reason for its failure wasn't exactly the age difference.

One falls in love with another person when they feel the other person completes them - understands them, they want to care for them no matter what happens, they feel truly happy when they're with them.. It's all about how emotionally bonded they can be. It's all about how much the other person emotionally understands the other person..fully. It's all about how compatible their thinking, views etc. are. That's the ONLY thing that matters. Doesn't matter how older or younger the person you've fallen in love with, is.. IT DOESN'T. True love requires true understanding.. it's a beautiful emotional bond that doesn't break easily. What has age got to do with that? Nothing, my friend.. Nothing.
You got a good point there. You experienced it and know really how it feels so I believe in you. True love requires true understanding, that's right. I like what you said. :)

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Age doesn't matter. Not to me, at least.

Let me surprise you a little. I'm a 16 years old (almost 17) and I was in a healthy relationship with a girl 8 years older than me. She's 24. Well, yeah.. the relationship didn't work but the reason for its failure wasn't exactly the age difference.

One falls in love with another person when they feel the other person completes them - understands them, they want to care for them no matter what happens, they feel truly happy when they're with them.. It's all about how emotionally bonded they can be. It's all about how much the other person emotionally understands the other person..fully. It's all about how compatible their thinking, views etc. are. That's the ONLY thing that matters. Doesn't matter how older or younger the person you've fallen in love with, is.. IT DOESN'T. True love requires true understanding.. it's a beautiful emotional bond that doesn't break easily. What has age got to do with that? Nothing, my friend.. Nothing.
I believe you are right. Although my wife and I are the same age, that was coincidence and I don't think it needs to matter. You seem to have more wisdom and maturity than most I've known at 16, otherwise a relationship with a 24 year old probably would not have happened unless it was purely physical. Physical attraction is nice but it's so transitory that it will not give longer term happiness.

radascars

Advisor Member
I believe you are right. Although my wife and I are the same age, that was coincidence and I don't think it needs to matter. You seem to have more wisdom and maturity than most I've known at 16, otherwise a relationship with a 24 year old probably would not have happened unless it was purely physical. Physical attraction is nice but it's so transitory that it will not give longer term happiness.
How sure you are that it was purely physical?

Cecil Estrera

My husband is two years younger than me. And because he's younger, I usually find myself like nagging to a teenager.

I strongly believe that age DOES matter when it comes to maturity. Experienced individuals get matured as time goes by. And for me, when you have enough experiences, you'll act to things wisely cause you usually knew the possible outcome of your actions. That applies to couples too. To really keep the marriage or relationship strong and lasting, I guess you really have to be matured.

tired

It depends on the ages - like a 20 year old and a 50 year old - yuk - I'm sorry but that's disgusting. I, along with most people I know think any difference over 10 years is too much until you reach retirement age (like 65ish) then 65 and anyone over that is an ok match.

radascars

Advisor Member
It depends on the ages - like a 20 year old and a 50 year old - yuk - I'm sorry but that's disgusting. I, along with most people I know think any difference over 10 years is too much until you reach retirement age (like 65ish) then 65 and anyone over that is an ok match.
Well I have a friend who is 20 years old (girl) and a 36 years old (guy) they just got recently married. We really can't understand the feeling of the age gap in a relationship until we experience it our selves. :)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
One falls in love with another person when they feel the other person completes them - understands them, they want to care for them no matter what happens, they feel truly happy when they're with them.. It's all about how emotionally bonded they can be. It's all about how much the other person emotionally understands the other person..fully.
Wow! That's very poetic. :)

I'm sorry to hear that your relationship didn't work out. But, at least you learned the meaning of love about how it's about finding the person that completes your heart and makes you feel fulfilled. Even an older person like myself who has lived lifetimes longer than you can learn from your wisdom.

JamJam

I dont really think age matters. Love knows no boundaries. But nonetheless there is still the possiblity that people would gossip about it. However if the couple enjoy a good relationship, I dont think all these gossips will matter and age will not be a factor at all.
I agree with you that love knows no boundaries. Age doesn't really matter. If you really love the person, you would love him / her without a reason at all.

kimbelymariex

I don't think age matters. I am 23 right now and for some reason I’ve always like older men. My boyfriend right now is 21 and will be turning 22 in July. He is probably the only guy I've dated that has been close to my age. Lol. I've always dated older men cause of their looks..(some reason I find them a lot more attractive) and maturity level. But maturity level with a man or a woman all depends on that person lifestyle and personality.. I think.

I also have a guy friend who I believe is in his early 40's and was hanging out with a 26 year old female. I didn't see anything wrong with it but others did. By all means it's your life. Live it how you want it. :)

kSoo

Age doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter actually :p But different generations think differently; Like I couldn't really understand how someone ten years older than me sees and feel things. I guess it kinda makes it more interesting .. AND complicated hehe

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I dont really think age matters. Love knows no boundaries. But nonetheless there is still the possiblity that people would gossip about it. However if the couple enjoy a good relationship, I dont think all these gossips will matter and age will not be a factor at all.
You are right, Hexort. In the end, age does not really matter at all for as long as both partners have a clear understanding of the love and bond they have for each other. And that is the most important thing because it could mean that the relationship can be able to survive the many difficulties and challenges thrown its way. I think being concerned much on what other people can be saying is not doing justice for the love which both people may have for each other. Gossips would eventually die, anyway. We are now in a modern world where people are more accepting of this matter. :D

zararina

Coaching Member
There is a saying that in love, all is fair so, age does not matter. :p
Yes I agree that it is now common to see couples in which the woman is older than the man compared before. It is not an issue anymore too since what matters is the love they have with each other and how they can handle their own relationships.

zararina

Coaching Member
There is a saying that in love, all is fair so, age does not matter. :p
Yes I agree that it is now common to see couples in which the woman is older than the man compared before. It is not an issue anymore too since what matters is the love they have with each other and how they can handle their own relationships.

I'd always said that age doesn't matter in love... but then, like most people, I'd never really considered it. That is, until a friend started dating someone nine years younger than him.

Nine years? No big deal, right? Yeah... but he was 23. She was 14.

When something like that happens with one of your best friends, it really makes you sit up and take stock of how you REALLY feel about age differences. Like the person above who thinks that a 20- and 50-year old together is "disgusting".

As far as I can figure, most of the answers here are from people who are still young enough to think that someone who's 40 is "old". And that means their outlook on things is very different from people who have been around for a lot more years: I don't know anyone my age (over 40) who thinks a 10-year gap is very significant. You'd have to get up near a 20- or 30-year gap for people to really gawp. And even then it's mostly jealousy or judgements based on stupid social mores rather than an actual considered opinion.

Personally, since that friend started dating a minor, I've had to really think about it and, well... age really doesn't matter. It may be surprising or even shocking but it doesn't matter. All that matters is how happy the couple is and how solid their relationship is.

And incidentally, that friend and his 14-year-old girlfriend are married. Have been for years. Kids and all. Very happy. :D

Jessi

I don't think it matters. Sometimes the difference at certain ages will matter. For example, a 16 year old and a 21 year old is only 5 years, but it's a big gap in maturity, whereas the same 5 years later in life wouldn't make any difference.

A

artistry

I look at the divorce rate in the U. S. and it is over 50% or it was. Those who marry are usually 4 to 8 years difference maybe, with the man being older. So, since the norm is not really working so good, I say, if you find someone you like, like goes further than love, which flys away sometime, you can communicate and have enough in common with,, you better go for itm and forget the number. As long as you both are of majority age.

J

Joseph Fernan

For some people, age really matters when it comes to love. But for me, I don't think so. If you really love the person, everything won't matters to you because that what love is.

rose banks

The general norm is the guy being older than the woman, but as the years go on it is more acceptable now for it to be the other way round....what are your thoughts on it?
Even if men are 10 year older than women, in their younger days there's no problem with it nobody can notice the man's age however as years goes by, it will be very visible that the man is very much older than the women.