Does age matter?

F

FuzzyMike

The general norm is the guy being older than the woman, but as the years go on it is more acceptable now for it to be the other way round....what are your thoughts on it?

Aquarius

but as the years go on it is more acceptable now for it to be the other way round....
I totally agree! :D

My thoughts? Well, my personal opinion is this:
"Age doesn't matter. Maturity does."

Sometimes, people say 'Eew! You're dating a guy 4 years older than you?'

But a year later, that's actually just normal as long as you take care of each other. :D

I think at a younger age, the age difference matters a lot. I mean most people would be surprised if a 16 years' old dates a 10 years' old.

But a 36 years' old dating a 30 years' is of no surprise :)

F

FuzzyMike

Personally I dont think age does matter, I do still think people are commented on about an older woman and a younger guy, but it wouldnt bother me if I was to be the older woman in a relationship.

I wouldn't mind marrying an older woman as well, as long as the age gap isn't too big (like more than 10 years), and we are both truly in love with one another. Age is no barrier in this case.

speedy

Advisor Member
The general norm is the guy being older than the woman, but as the years go on it is more acceptable now for it to be the other way round....what are your thoughts on it?
I am not against marrying somebody older than you. Nothing is wrong if younger guy will marry a girl older than him. It is just a matter of communication and the maturity of the man. Because, he needs to be mature as the husband is the head of the family. Personally, I knew somebody who married a woman 20 years older than him. His wife and his wife used to be a classmate when they were in High school. They a good family and I didn't see any problem at all. Marrying a woman or a man older than you and living together for a lifetime is better than marrying a younger one and ended with a divorce.

iebo

Its trendy right now for older women to go after younger men. I think its the last phase of the 'sexual revolution'. Its all over the TV these days with shows like 'Cougar Town'. Personally I don't think it matters as long as the two people love each other and neither is taking advantage of the other for any reason. I'm more attracted to women my own age just because I can relate to them the best. I find younger women physically attractive, but if they are immature its a huge turn off.

speedy

Advisor Member
Its trendy right now for older women to go after younger men. I think its the last phase of the 'sexual revolution'. Its all over the TV these days with shows like 'Cougar Town'. Personally I don't think it matters as long as the two people love each other and neither is taking advantage of the other for any reason. I'm more attracted to women my own age just because I can relate to them the best. I find younger women physically attractive, but if they are immature its a huge turn off.
Yes, right. If you are looking for a lifetime relationship it should be based with love, respect and commitment and only for the looks. Sometimes, we were fooled with outside appearance and jump into a relationship because we thought that he/she is the right one for us because of the appearance.

There is a lot of societal pressure that is involved, as much as we may not agree with them - especially in the case of age difference. While it is true that commitment, love and respect triumphs materialistic demands and physical appearances in a relationship, you might need to consider your parents, your relatives and your spouse as well. While you could say that "I don't care, it's my life and I want to lead it as I deem fit!", you need to realise that the immense mental pressure that others may put on you in the form of mocking and criticising may cause you to experience a mental breakdown in the future.

angela

I definitely agree with all of you here. My brother's story is a good example for this.
My brother married his former college instructor, who is 5years older than him. They have a happy family now. They are blessed with two healthy and smart kids.

I think there's nothing wrong with a big age difference as long as both of them are already "developed." By that I mean like both are above 18 or at least are both mature to know what they want and what is good for them.

I have a relative who married a 60-year-old man, but she was already 40 at that time. Of course, talks and a lot of why's circulated for some time. They just simply answered, "Aside from being in love, who among us doesn't need company, especially when we grow old?"

I have a relative who married a 60-year-old man, but she was already 40 at that time. Of course, talks and a lot of why's circulated for some time. They just simply answered, "Aside from being in love, who among us doesn't need company, especially when we grow old?"
Yeah it's true, people get lonely and want a partner, especially when they get older. As long as the couple feels that it's alright for them to have a 20 year age gap, and can cope with all the societal pressures as well as family pressure, then I think it is their choice regarding whom and when to marry.

Hexort

I dont really think age matters. Love knows no boundaries. But nonetheless there is still the possiblity that people would gossip about it. However if the couple enjoy a good relationship, I dont think all these gossips will matter and age will not be a factor at all.

Does age matter? Certainly not. Whether it's the guy or the girl older or younger than the other is irrelevant. That's what I think. What matters is the love that connects the two.

wreck1807

It doesn't matter... as long as they stay true to each other and both are able, then it shouldn
t be a problem. All my past girlfriends are 2 to 3 years older than me. Sometimes, the mature the partner are, the more they are capable of handling a good relationship... That's what i believe

mcrickeo

In some circumstances yes age does matter when it comes to relationships.

For example when it comes to minors they have a complete different maturity level than adults sure you get some mature minors but an adult should never want an intimate relationship with a minor lifestyles are completely different adults have to deal with bills, jobs, children, housing etc etc where minors just have to deal with education and being supported by there parents.

When it comes to adults though and when two people are fully grown adults I think it's more about maturity not an age or number. For example I mean if I'm 50 I wouldn't want a relationship with an 18 year old as all it would be is sexual. I would have way more life experience than her where she would just be getting started in life and the maturity difference would just be to huge.

It doesn't really matter what I think though each to there own right ;) :p

radascars

Advisor Member
I have a friend who is 20 years old a girl and she was inlove with this guy who is 36 years old, at first I feel awkward whenever I see them together sweet. I seems that they are just father-daughter. But when I got used to it, I feel happiness inside and proud of their relationship. They are now married and will expecting a baby soon.

So I can say that Age doesn't matter at all, you just need to see or experienced it for you to say that it really doesn't matter. You just need to overcome the fear, the shame and other conflicting factors that hinders your relationship.

Love is possible at any age but it will be a very strained relationship. Someone younger might want to have kids, be more active, like to do young people stuff while an older person might want to just relax and take it easy. I personally would hate to fall in love with someone and be arguing all the time because of difference of opinion.

Thorium

Age doesn't matter. Not to me, at least.

Let me surprise you a little. I'm a 16 years old (almost 17) and I was in a healthy relationship with a girl 8 years older than me. She's 24. Well, yeah.. the relationship didn't work but the reason for its failure wasn't exactly the age difference.

One falls in love with another person when they feel the other person completes them - understands them, they want to care for them no matter what happens, they feel truly happy when they're with them.. It's all about how emotionally bonded they can be. It's all about how much the other person emotionally understands the other person..fully. It's all about how compatible their thinking, views etc. are. That's the ONLY thing that matters. Doesn't matter how older or younger the person you've fallen in love with, is.. IT DOESN'T. True love requires true understanding.. it's a beautiful emotional bond that doesn't break easily. What has age got to do with that? Nothing, my friend.. Nothing.