Do You Think You're In The Right Profession?

beingwell

I used to work as an accountant. I was happy for a while, since I get to practice what I've learned in school. But after sometime, I realized that that was not the profession for me. I would like to be more creative and more free. So I had to take time off to really think what I want to do in my life. Now, I am happier.

How about you? Are you currently in the right profession?

radascars

Advisor Member
I must say, before I took up nursing and become a health care provider my 1st choice was computer engineering because my passion is all about computer inside and out but as time goes by I realized that taking care of people are also a good profession. I was able to love my profession as soon as I got my license as a nurse.

To be more creative, I didn't give up my passion as a computer enthusiast rather I used that skill of mine to my profession and made some interesting results.

I can say that this is my right profession and until I die, this passion and enthusiasm I feel will last.

beingwell

I must say, before I took up nursing and become a health care provider my 1st choice was computer engineering because my passion is all about computer inside and out but as time goes by I realized that taking care of people are also a good profession. I was able to love my profession as soon as I got my license as a nurse.

To be more creative, I didn't give up my passion as a computer enthusiast rather I used that skill of mine to my profession and made some interesting results.

I can say that this is my right profession and until I die, this passion and enthusiasm I feel will last.
That's great to hear! It's always nice to see people who know what they want. Here's to you!!;)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I think I'm in the right profession. Over the years, I have studied for several careers including Paralegal and though I thought I wanted to do those things at the time, it turned out not to be right for me. Really, I've only ever wanted to be a mom. Only after my daughter was born, did I discover my passion for writing and forums and blogging. She sparked the creative side of me and now I feel like a complete person.

beingwell

I think I'm in the right profession. Over the years, I have studied for several careers including Paralegal and though I thought I wanted to do those things at the time, it turned out not to be right for me. Really, I've only ever wanted to be a mom. Only after my daughter was born, did I discover my passion for writing and forums and blogging. She sparked the creative side of me and now I feel like a complete person.
That's really great to hear and I admire you. I'm thinking of pursuing an online career, as well and learn more about programming and SEO. For now though, I need to be where I am and take on a rather different path.

Cecil Estrera

Wow, I guess I am too.
I must say I've been this and that, jumping from one career to another, and I've had, I think, more than 10 job experiences. I really don't know what I really want then. But as soon as I became a mom, I've never been this happy with such a profession. So I guess that's what fulfillment is all about.

zararina

Coaching Member
I used to work as technologist, accounting assistant and quality assurance staff in a company. I just end up resigning on those jobs. There are moments that i got easily bored and annoyed of what i am doing in an office. Right now, i could say that this is the right career for me cause i just need to turn off the PC when i got bored and do anything.:D

Yolanda

Yes, I do believe I am in the right profession now. I started out studying to become a primary school teacher, but I was more interested in helping children with special needs. So I switched studies to become a pedagogue. I currently work with children with specific language impairments, sometimes in combination autism and ADHD (and other disorders). I love my work, it's very fullfilling and I'm glad I changed my studies instead of sticking with the wrong one for years. Or worse, finishing it and never wanting to use it again.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Getting into a profession that a person so enjoy with passion and enthusiasm is a great formula for success. I mean, we can never limit the definition of success to how much a person is making financially but also on how fulfilled a person with his chosen vocation. Sadly, a lot of us failed to be guided properly in deciding on the career path to follow that could bring in more fulfillment and happiness.

These days, the primary consideration would be financial or the potential of a certain degree to create returns vis-a-vis costs. Though there is nothing wrong with this approach per se, this is not applicable to all people. And this is one of the reasons why some would eventually leave their field of specialization and pursue something else which they like in the first place.

Right now, I am happy doing a small business.

beingwell

I used to work as technologist, accounting assistant and quality assurance staff in a company. I just end up resigning on those jobs. There are moments that i got easily bored and annoyed of what i am doing in an office. Right now, i could say that this is the right career for me cause i just need to turn off the PC when i got bored and do anything.:D
That's nice zara. I assume your new job also pays the bill, right?:) In the Philippines, if one doesn't have an 8-5 job, I think s/he should have at least a sideline or business in able to get ahead. Working online is fun; especially if one's earnings are good enough to support his/her family.

zararina

Coaching Member
That's nice zara. I assume your new job also pays the bill, right?:) In the Philippines, if one doesn't have an 8-5 job, I think s/he should have at least a sideline or business in able to get ahead. Working online is fun; especially if one's earnings are good enough to support his/her family.
Hi, yes i am able to pay the bills and buy the necessities like food. Just sometimes i need to save more or work more online if our friends have getaway plans. The joy of having your own time and being your own boss is priceless.

mslianne

I loved it when I was studying to be a nurse. I love the fact that I have the knowledge to take care of my loved ones. I love helping people and I love hearing that they appreciate me helping them. As of right now, though, I also love being a writer and also being a marketing director. :D
I love various things in life, and I love the fact that I can pursue all of these throughout my life span. I don't think any particular profession is right for me as I constantly change.

canadien

I haven't had to make the decision yet, but unfortunately I'm not one of those people who were born knowing what they wanted to do. My father was a Firefighter, as was my grandfather, and that interests me. However, I'm not too sure I'll end up going into that when I'm older. I think it's really hard to decide on a profession without first trying it out. I'd hate to get stuck in a job I hate.

speedy

Advisor Member
I am happy of what I am doing right now though I have nothing that we can call a profession. I am helping my husband on his small business which is buy and sell online. I always wanted to teach but I didn't find my place yet because there are some things that I need to sort out. I will try to settle first and focus on doing something at the right time.

francrislee

It depends if you're happy or not! If you're happy, even if that's not the course or in relation to what you've studied before, then you are in the right profession.

If you're not happy that you feel so bored and you feel so maltreated then you're not suppose to be where you are right now. My advice is to plan for yourself, study what you really want and make way for it to happen!

slicing_angel2003

I believe that I am in the right profession. I have always wanted to be a writer. While my passion is fiction writing, I love that I can pay bills, save money, and provide for my family writing non-fiction. I still work on my fiction when I can, and hope to put out a book this fall, but the real career is non-fiction. I was never really happy with the jobs I had before I was married, and when news of our daughter sneaked up I had to find a way to bring money into the household. My husband stood by me, and still does, as far as wanting me to be happy in my career choice. For that I am very thankful.

francrislee

I believe that I am in the right profession. I have always wanted to be a writer. While my passion is fiction writing, I love that I can pay bills, save money, and provide for my family writing non-fiction. I still work on my fiction when I can, and hope to put out a book this fall, but the real career is non-fiction. I was never really happy with the jobs I had before I was married, and when news of our daughter sneaked up I had to find a way to bring money into the household. My husband stood by me, and still does, as far as wanting me to be happy in my career choice. For that I am very thankful.
You're a very blessed wife. To have a very understanding husband and a wonderful daughter is really a gift from God. I wish that someday, I, too may have a great family like yours.

I hope to read one of your books too Miss Angel. Have a nice day!

VitaminBitch

Oh, wow, this question has been weighing on me for the past year, and I can't even begin to tell you how much time I've spent thinking and researching and getting to know myself just a little bit more just so I can finally put a finger on what job will pay the bills AND make me forget that I'm working. :D

Right now, though, I'm a university teacher, and I've been teaching for more than 9 years. On the side, I'm also a professional events host, voice talent, and conference/resource speaker. I have authored a couple of books (nothing big). Out of these three (teaching, hosting/speaking, and writing) I notice that I enjoy writing best. Only trouble is, so far the teaching and hosting gigs pay the most. So, I don't know. Maybe I should just spend more time writing to be a happier person. Hopefully in time, I'll earn more from it. :)

SDavis2702

I am definitely not in the right profession right now. I have been in the Army for just over 8 years and I am done in about 3 months. Almost six years ago, I reenlisted to serve a second term for 6 years. 6 years is way too long for a contract to do a certain job! Since that reenlistment, I have served overseas 3 times for 3 full years (and once before the reenlistment) and I am tired! I'd like to stay in America for a while and enjoy my country. A career change is in my very near future. I am proud of my time served and I wouldn't change anything about it. But it is definitely time to move on. :)

Soozi

I don't think I am in the right profession, even though I seem to be pretty good at what I do. I am a teacher right now, though I have done a few other things over the years. I would love to find a profession that fills me with joy, and makes me feel excited to get out of bed every morning, but I still don't know what that might be.