Do you read labels?

iebo

So I was at the grocery store today, and I picked up some juice, and looked at the label. It said it had Rebiana in it. I don't know what that is, do you? It reminded me of how important it is to read the labels on the foods we buy.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I'll sometimes look at the main ingredient as I'm sensitive to some foods. But otherwise so much of that stuff I have no idea what it is, never heard of that one! I guess if you have a smartphone you can look stuff up, I've done that sometimes with my iPhone, not for food but to see if some product has gotten good reviews. Amazon is a good place to see what people think of about anything.

Milton

In my country, there are Nutritional Facts on most food packaging and I read those before I buy food.
Generally, they list the amount of calories (energy), carbohydrates, protein, fats (saturated and unsaturated), sodium and stuff like those so you get to know how much you take in each meal.
I tend to avoid food with high levels of saturated fats or sodium.

psych0s0c1al

I never read the labels until I'm about to eat it. I'm a diabetic so I have to count carbs.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
As consumers, it is our right and even a duty to read labels of the products we are consuming. And this is very important if we are dealing with foods and beverages. So what is Rebiana? It is actually a type of natural sweetener derived from an herb called stevia. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

"Rebiana is the trade name for high-purity rebaudioside A, a Steviol glycoside which when used as a non-nutritive sweetener is 200 times sweeter than sugar.It is the primary source of sweetness in the Truvia sweetener brand. Rebiana is derived from Stevia leaves by steeping them in water. Cargill has filed patents which give it exclusive rights to sell Rebiana in beverages."

speedy

Advisor Member
Yes, I do check the label every time I go shopping. It takes me how many hours because pf checking the labels, comparing price, etc. It's only for food that I am checking also some other products that I vividly check the content before buying them, like shampoo,soap, lotion, etc

Yolanda

Yes, I check labels as well. In the Europe we have special numbers for certain helping ingredients that go into food. They are called E-numbers and are approved helping ingredients. However, when you look up these numbers there are really odd ingredients in there. Some things you certainly don't want in your food! These E-numbers are safe for use when you consume them in the approved quantity. But lots of times the maximum dosage is used in a single product. If you use another product the same day, that has the same E-number in it, you are eating to much.

To illustrate how bad these things can be; one of the E-numbers actually it anti-freeze.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I have to check labels on any meat products cause my spouse is highly allergic
to nitrates and nitrites which can be found in hotdogs and other cured meats.

In a very bad situation, nitrates can often cause severe heart palpitations and
pain in the chest as if the heart is racing.

We are very careful to avoid those ingredients.

Fresh meats are healthier anyway versus preserved.

moon

I usually don't read labels unless it is advertised as less fat, no sugar or something.

fsxss

I always read the labels of what I eat and whenever I buy something I've never bought before. I do it mostly out of curiosity, to teach myself the nutritional differences between foods, but also to rule out unhealthy foods. This way I'm constantly watching out for ingredients that are known to be dangerous for your health.

I don't go so far as to count calories, but I think it's nice to have a general idea of what you're putting in your mouth, it's a healthy habit as long as you don't obsess.

radascars

Advisor Member
Most of the time I have this mentality that as long as the food or drink taste good I will buy it or purchase it and I really ignore the labels as I don't know what kind of ingredients are there. I also tend to think that FDA wouldn't approve it if that is hazardous to human life. :)

lockirawr

I don't read the ingredients most of the time as there are hundreds of different ingredients. Not only that, there are different names for the same ingredients -.-! I just check the calories, sugars, carbs and any percentage rate.