Do You Prefer E-books over Books?

If you enjoy reading, do you prefer reading an actual book or reading on an electronic e-reader, and why your preference? Also, who are some of your favorite authors?

Myself, I read both books and from an e-reader. I like reading books while I'm in the pool or tub, and enjoy the e-reader at night (because of its lit screen). Lately, I have been reading books from Fannie Flagg and a few autobiographies from various people.

Matt

I prefer reading actual books over looking at the screen. The screen sometime strains my eyes while reading an actual book doesn't really. The only thing I like about eBooks is that you don't ever have a ton of book laying all around the place. That is the same with using netflix or something. I am sure that books will not die out though :)

SDavis2702

I prefer Ebooks for a maximum of an hour's worth of information. Anything longer than that, I need a physical book. Ebooks are great but I want to read them quickly... sort of like reading a really long article.

zararina

Coaching Member
I also prefer the actual book too cause i could not stand to read longer hours on the screen. I would also like to read in certain position or place like lying in my bed or reading in the park. I also find it easier to read an actual book than e-books.

I have never read a book on an e reader but it looks interesting. I guess I am just used to holding a book in my hands, will probably try e reader sometime soon.

Zippy

I prefer e-books and I will tell you why. I just bought this self help book and my best friend wanted to read it too. He borrowed it for the day and I have not scene it sense. If I have the eBook no one even bothers to ask to borrow it. Now I have to go buy it again, but this time as an eBook so I don't end up losing it right when it was getting good.

I prefer an actual paper book. I like the physicality, the feel and oddly enough, the smell. There isn't anything like it. I don't know how e-books are so popular, but I suppose I understand the convenience of them.

I read practically anything, but my favorite authors are the following: Ayn Rand, Max Lucado, Tom Robbins, Jonathan Safran Foer and Eliot Perlman.

I don't like e-readers, and I don't like pdf files, but I realize their convenience of being able to carry thousands of books in one device. I still like real books, especially when it comes to textbooks.

A

artistry

I have downloaded a few e-book articles, I guess I would call them, on various subjects that I felt would be interesting to read. I personally prefer a hard cover book, because I am a collector of books, and I like to see the book in a physical form, as that seems to be more tangible in my opinion. I think e-books are a great invention, as well as very space saving.

For me, since I am a non-fiction person, an actual book to read, especially if it is a cookbook. I love experimenting with recipes, and I tend to write ideas, suggestions, etc by the recipes, or on scrap pieces of paper when the creativity hits me. I do not like when part of the recipe lands on my cookbook, but I would freak out if it landed on an electronic device.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I love the actual books but we know that they cost more compared to e-books. Plus I think we have to be open with the proliferation of e-books as they can be shared easily and the cost of its production and distribution can be so minimal.

And not to mention that we are saving trees when we prefer e-books. It is cheap and green so I am now preferring e-books though I would not mind if anybody would give me real books for free. ;)

I prefer reading an actual book. It feels so good to have that book into your hands and to see all the books that you have read on one shelf.. :)

And my eyes feels so tired whenever I am reading an e-book. I will still stick on actual book.

K1nS03

I prefer ebooks, I download mine for my phone and its alot cheaper than buying real books. Its also better for travelling, as I take my phone with me where ever I go anyway :)

I have a Nook Color and I love it, but I also love the smell and feel of a real book. I do find myself buying more books on my e-reader lately, because it is convenient.

I thought I would never like to read an ebook but after getting a tablet and downloading a few ebooks, I find that it's so much better than reading a real book. I thought that reading from a screen will hurt my eyes and I thought that the ebook cannot be read in bright sunlight but I was wrong. The e-reader can be adjusted to fit my preferences. I can enlarge the words. I can adjust the screen brightness and I can read without much light so reading at night doesn't pose a problem for me. Reading from e-readers is the best experience for me and I haven't read from a real book ever since. I would highly recommend the e-reader to every one.

I like getting the real book over an e-book because of being able to write in the book. I love the cookbook, and when I try a recipe, I will adjust it and make pencil notes in the margins, etc, until I get a recipe to where we like it a lot. I couldn't do it on an electronic device. I think I would like the e-reader when I was traveling, though!

the_Jordan

I like the feel of a real book in hands. I like that I can take it to anywhere with me. With the appearance of iPads and e-book readers however, things have changed a bit. They are still pretty expensive, but it's easy to tell that in no time the prices will go down and they will be affordable for the wider public. I find it really useful that you can searcg for an expression, a sentence a name or anything you want to find, and you will have it in no time. But if you don't have any of these machines, only your computer, I wouldn't suggest e-books. Reading infront of your PC for hours can hurt your eyes and your back too.

pstovall

I'm afraid that one day in the future a real, concrete, physical book will be a thing of the past. People will look back at our generation and snicker at how antiquated we were to have to hold an actual paper book in our hands to read. It's similar to our looking back at the scrolls of ancient times. Having said that, I must admit that I absolutely love the feel and smell of an actual book, the older the better. I found an old novel the other day with a personal inscription in it from 1869. I can't wait to get into it. I find it hard to pass up a book sale without adding another title to my "to read" list. Now I just need more hours in the day. I do see the convenience and space saving benefits of an electronic reader, and I won't say I'll never read a book on one, but right now I'm loving the old fashioned reading method.

I am hooked on the Nook! Once I started reading that way, I have no desire to go back to a book. It is so much easier for me read and turn the pages. I love how I have so many books at my fingertips. It's crazy!

I prefer eBooks. Most of the books I read tend to be books on web development, HTML, CSS, and sometimes digital photography. These books tend to be pretty huge and become outdated pretty quickly. So having bookshelves full of them is kind of impractical. Also, in PDF format, I can easily do searches for specific items and find what I'm looking for more quickly. I tend to read these books a little at a time, so I'm often reading them from my desktop computer, rather than on an eReader or tablet of some sort. If I were to be reading for a longer period of time, I suppose I would rather have the paper copy then, because it's easier on the eyes.