Do you pray or meditate? How often?

allysonwonderland

I was raised Christian, and in church we were taught to pray often. It was a part that I struggled with, because I just never thought to do it. There were some hours of prayer though, that were the most powerful spiritual moments of my life.

Now I am not a Christian and don't really identify with any religion. I don't believe in the God of the Bible, so if I ever pray it is not to him, but to the universe. The last and only time I have truly meditated (in this case, I mean without God involved - just the world) was another one of those spiritual awakenings, but I don't feel the need to do it often. I suppose it would do me good, but it's similar to when I was a child praying to God - I never think of it!

How often do you pray, to whoever you choose to pray to?

zararina

Coaching Member
I am a Catholic since I was baptized and I pray to God. I do pray everyday, usually every morning when I wake up and before going to sleep. I do pray when I go to the church and when there is something to pray for like asking for guidance or thanking for a blessing. I try to meditate sometimes and it is hard for me to concentrate.

slicing_angel2003

I am not Christian, but I do pray daily. I personally see a difference between praying and meditating. When I pray I speak to the Mother, Father, ancestors, or the future souls that will come into our lives. When I meditate I am looking to clear my mind to find peace or an answer. I am not trying to connect with any deity. Again that is just me. How anyone else prays is completely a free choice.

I pray every morning, thankful for another day with my daughter and husband. I pray when I am scared. I also pray when I thank the Mother and Father for something, like when a family member is painfully ill and passes. For that I am thankful that their pain is over.

WitchyWoman

Personally to me there is no difference between meditation and praying. It is a combination of both. When I meditate I am seeking serenity to clear my thoughts. I then focus on speaking to the "Great Spirit” for the guidance and answers that I seek. This is a very special and private time of the day for me.

mslicia

I have to agree that prayer and meditation is sort of the same thing. I think as long as you are making a connection with a higher power you are doing both. This threads reminds me that I need to do more praying, especially before my bedtime. Life is so much better when you pray because you feel rejuvenated and doing this gets you through your daily life. It's so awesome to walk around with peace and prayer/meditation does that for you!

WitchyWoman

I agree you are using both meditation and prayer when making a connection to a higher power. Prayer is something positive you could do on a daily basis for yourself and others. Prayer and Meditation put your body in a tranquil mellow mood. I also seem to smile more afterwards it’s a completely positive experience.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I have to agree that prayer and meditation is sort of the same thing. I think as long as you are making a connection with a higher power you are doing both. This threads reminds me that I need to do more praying, especially before my bedtime. Life is so much better when you pray because you feel rejuvenated and doing this gets you through your daily life. It's so awesome to walk around with peace and prayer/meditation does that for you!
A prayer is actually a form of meditation though not all meditation can be considered a prayer. When we pray we try to communicate to a higher being or as some might be doing they try to commune with nature or the universe -- the common thread here is making a certain connection or communication.

In my opinion, meditation can be like making ourselves relax and in a way we are communicating with our inner self in the process. And since a prayer can also be relaxing then that is the connection between the two.

However, don't take my words as authority on this matter since I am not an expert. ;)

Ruel

I found this forum searching for "meditation and personal development" for I intend to write about "Personal Development - Meditation and Happiness." As for me, I understand either prayer serving as preparation for meditation or meditation can also be an extended form of prayer. I think Richard Foster in his book, Celebration of Discipline, includes meditation as part of inward discipline and he considers it as means to prepare yourself to receive grace. He distinguished Christian meditation from other forms of meditation as instead of self-emptying, there is actually an infilling, a readiness to hear God's voice and obey it. Meditation is hard in our time where most people are too busy, but I think we need to recover this ancient practice to restore balance into our lives.

I'm a Christian and I pray every day. Sometimes just in my mind to thank God for my blessings. I also meditate daily on the nice things in my world...kids , grandkids, beautiful things.

Socrates II

I never pray, and I never meditate. I just think. One has only to look at my life to realize that this is the wrong way to live. I wish I could pray or meditate; but I can't. It's just not in me to be able to do so.

I envy those who do pray and meditate, especially if they've found happiness through it.

Yolanda

I don't pray but I do meditate. When meditating I can relax and focus, be aware of my body. When meditating I don't reach out to a higher power, I try to be very centered and down to earth instead. Sometimes I use music to focus my thoughts and I focus on my breathing. It's one of the greatest things to get focused and relaxed.

dors

I do pray often. It is a reminder for me that through God's grace, I am able to live, breathe, and see this wonderful world. Prayer is where I get my whole being in order.

armony

I used to pray every single day for a portion of my life. I used to meditate everyday for a portion of my life. I used to say affirmations everyday for a portion of my life. Truly, I feel that meditation has the potential to open and calm your mind so that prayer and the repeating of affirmations have the desired effect.With all that being said , I have received the best results with affirmations. However, when i prayed everyday, I did feel that there was somebody out there, like I wasn't alone (this may just be a belief, it may not).

Confidence123

Meditation is what you make it. I've always said prayer is talking to God and Meditation is listening to God/Universe. I will always start my meditation out with prayer and then clear my mind/do forms of visualization. It varies. I meditate daily. I try to meditate during the day if I can in conjunction with/but will always meditate before going to sleep. A lot of wisdom comes to you during and after meditation. Allowing your minds to be cleared away from all the mental environmental factors.

thebigbigsky

I used to pray in Taoism and Buddhism style, I used to read Bible, I was open and try to experience different religious views and practices. However no one really made me stick to them. Then I come to be religious without being attached to a certain religion. For me religious is a spiritual thing which I do it in my own way such as praying whenever I feel like to, praying to the universe, God, angels, all positive and great things, higher power or Self within. As long as I believe in good things, I pray to different positive things. Sometimes it does not even like a “praying”, I just think or wish for good things, either good thing for me, for others or for the universe. I do meditation too at any time when I like to, though in the morning and at night are the most frequent time when I do meditation.

A

artistry

I have to feel a connection to something, and I do that through praying. It keeps me aware that there is a force outside of the human race. I am thankful for that knowledge. I used to meditate, not so much anymore.

A

artistry

I have to feel a connection to something, and I do that through praying. It keeps me aware that there is a force outside of the human race. I am thankful for that knowledge. I used to meditate, not so much anymore.

Jessi

I am not religious, so no, I don't pray at all.

I do sometimes meditate, though. It's usually just whenever I remember to or feel the urge, too. Sometimes that might be a few times in a given week and other times, it might be months in between.

D

detectivediana

Although I am not particularly religious, I do pray every night as I lay in bed. I have also been developing a meditation routine, and have been meditating regularly lately.

I will also pray throughout the day, whenever it seems to be appropriate/the right thing to do. For instances, sometimes I witness someone who is obviously feeling sad or angry, or I sense that about someone from a distance, and I feel compelled to pray for them.